[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Russian Borscht List of ingredients: 1 onion, chopped 3 cups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 2 ocd.gif (240KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
2 ocd.gif
240KB, 700x600px
Russian Borscht

List of ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
3 cups peeled and chopped beets
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
1 large cooking apple, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 1/ 4 quarts stock or water
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
a pinch of dried thyme
1 large bay leaf
fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the garnish 2/3 cup sour cream
a few sprigs of fresh dill
Place the chopped vegetables and apple in a large saucepan with the butter, oil, and 3 tablespoons of the stock or water. Cover and cook slowly for about 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.

Stir in the cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining stock or water, the thyme, bay leaf, lemon juice, and seasoning to taste.

Bring the soup to a boil. Cover the pan and turn down the heat to a slow simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes.

Strain the vegetables and reserve the liquid. Process the vegetables in a food processor or blender until they are smooth and
creamy.
>>
>>9333682
you left out russkiy standard, brat.
>>
>>9333682
>Process the vegetables in a food processor or blender until they are smooth and creamy.

No.
>>
>>9333761
Care to elaborate ...?
>>
>>9333790
I'm from Eastern Europe, and I've never seen anyone blend the vegetables. The texture sounds unappealing.
>>
>>9333790
Either eat it with the vegetables in their respective normal state like an adult or strain it and have clear soup in a mug to sip on. I'm waiting forever for this baby food blended soup meme to die.
>>
>no meat
>food processor
>no vodka

OP is a cuck gay emo euro faggot.
>>
>>9333941
Slav detected ... sigh

if you don't like the vegetables blended then set some aside and add again after you have blended the rest. I like me a creamy, thick soup.

Btw this recipe is from the book "The Soup Bible" from Debra Mayhew.
>>
>>9333682
>1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
No, use green (one of the few instances where green paprika is in any form superior to red and/or yellow)
>mushrooms
No. No mushrooms in borsh
>Process the vegetables in a food processor or blender until they are smooth and creamy
Nigga, are you serious? I don't know what you're cooking, but this sure as hell isn't "russian borscht"
>>9333996
>if you don't like the vegetables blended then set some aside and add again after you have blended the rest. I like me a creamy, thick soup.
Ahahahahaha... Then make yourself a nice mushroom cream soup, not borscht.
>Debra Mayhew.
Sure, she sounds like the authority on traditional russian cuisine. After I die, I'll tell all the forefathers I knew personally they've been doing borscht wrong for at least two hundred years.

9/10 bait thread, made me rage.
>>
>>9334030
So no mushrooms, green instead of red bellpepper, no blender. Any other differences for which your forefathers would have put capitalist Mayhew pig to the knout?
>>
I like to use dried mushrooms instead of fresh because they impart a stronger, earthier flavor. I also add other root vegetables like carrots and parsnips, sometimes potatoes. I also think it's critical to roast the beets and other root vegetables prior to adding to the soup to give it an extra depth of flavor. Above all, I feel cabbage is a must as well. So compared to mine I feel yours will fare rather poorly. Use recipes as a guideline and use your own cooking knowledge to improve it. Don't forget, borscht was a peasant dish meant to use what you had on hand to supplement the base of beets.

Blending it doesn't bother me at all unlike these other spergelords and in fact I often blend at least a portion of mine. These fucks have some Platonic ideal of borscht that they feel you have strayed too far from which is a certain sign of incipient autism.

tl;dr Your borscht is ok but could be significantly improved with some improvisational rifts.
>>
>>9334089
if thats an honest question, yes, I hav some pointers;
add cabbage last so it's still chrunchy. Add a lot of it, so the soup's thiccc. creme fraishe instead of sour cream, at least eurolandish fraishe is closer to russian smetana than sour cream. why don't you add potatoes and a carrot? it's not a MUST, but it certainly helps. also, I'd leave out the cumin (love it in other dishes, but it just doesn't fit in too well here) and lemon jews (cabbage and apple provide sufficient sourness). one bayleaf isn't enough for that many ingredients, use at least 2 or 3.
Oh yes, idk what stock you're using, but make it from a bit of beef with bone and marrow, if you're not a vegetarian. If you use water instead of broth and aren't a sissy, DO, for the love of marx, add some meat.
Oh, and if you're bying beets from the farmers market, add the greens of them, too. Or make a salad out of them, don't let it go to waste.

when adding smetana, just put a cup of it in the middle of the table for people to put in as much as they want. some don't like it in the soup, some like just a teaspoon full in the middle of the plate breaking off tiny bits with each spoonfull...
>>
>>9334119
>Above all, I feel cabbage is a must as well
WHAT??? Fuck, how have I been so blind... OP, you turd. There's no cabbage in this recipe of yours. Its so fucking fundamental to the whole thing, I haven't even doubted it was in there, and I read the recipe three times by now.
Of course you use cabbage.
>>
File: varg rage.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
varg rage.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>mushrooms
>processed food
>fucking apples
>celery
>bell pepper
>no meat
>no carrots
Stop calling that borscht.
>>
Ist it better like this?

1 onion, chopped
3 cups peeled and chopped beets
1-2 cups of shredded cabbage
1-2 cups of meat
1-2 cups of diced carrots, bellpeppers, parsnips and potatoes to taste (optional)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 1/ 4 quarts stock or water
a pinch of dried thyme
1 large bay leaf
fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the garnish:
2/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
a few sprigs of fresh dill

Heat some oil in a hot pan and brown the cubes of meat. Sweat off the chopped vegetables with the butter in a large pot, add 3 tablespoons of the stock or water. Add the meat. Cover and cook slowly for about 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.

Add the remaining stock or water, the thyme, bay leaf, lemon juice, and seasoning to taste.

Bring the soup to a boil. Cover the pot and turn down the heat to a slow simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes.

Optional:
Strain the vegetables and reserve the liquid. Process the vegetables, or a part of them, in a food processor or blender until they are smooth and creamy. Add back to the soup.
>>
>>9336200
more cabbage, it's a cabbage and beets soup, ffs.
Other than that, I guess its allright. Not perfect, but just fine.
>>
>>9333682
Isn't Russian food universally regarded as the worst food in the world?
>>
>>9336301
Not as long as british cuisine exists
>>
>>9336200
I think it's a lot better especially if you up the cabbage. Personally, I don't add meat but I could see where some might prefer it. I'd rather just serve the soup with a meatdish on the side.
>>
>>9333682
> no tomato
Mocкaли... пoвбивaв би
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.