[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /ck/, I have decided that I would like to have cooking be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1466173585889.jpg (58KB, 960x774px) Image search: [Google]
1466173585889.jpg
58KB, 960x774px
So, /ck/, I have decided that I would like to have cooking be my career, and start out with culinary school.
Is this a good idea? I have people to live with rather than dorms, to boot.
Yay or nay?
>>
>>9332523
Cooking Positives

Always in demand
Can commit a felony and still get a job
Go anywhere
Cooking can get you laid

Negatives

Paid like shit
Work like a dog
Likely get addicted to Drugs
Probably commit a felony
Smell like onions and ass so you can't get laid
Everyone treats you like fuck

My advise is don't
>>
>start out with a degree
Or
Go to a local restaurant, get in as a dishwasher if they don't need prep cooks or linecucks, work your way up and get a feel for it. Being a chef isn't something a degree will teach you, there's so much more to it.
A short list of what you'll be doing as a head chef, assuming you don't want to be a $12 an hour linecuck forever.
>Making a menu
>Dealing with underlings who don't show up
>Ruling with an iron fist
>Being an asshole
>Working 80 hour weeks
>Never getting days off
>Rarely taking vacations
>Getting cucked by management
>Getting cucked by servers
>Getting cucked by linecucks
>Doing dishes when your dishwasher bails
>Contemplating suicide
>Being a psychopath
>Hopefully making delicious food

If this is your number one passion you'll PROBABLY be okay. I don't recommend a degree until you realize you're in a cutthroat industry where it's always me>the team in most people's eyes. Try to apprentice under a GOOD, classically trained, bonafide chef before blowing 30k on a meme degree.

Cooking is at the ass end of my backup plans. If everything goes to shit, I'll end up a chef again.
>>
>>9332653
>>9334296
Damn, is it really that bad?
I heard catering would be a damn good time if I go that route.
But you guys are making being a chef sound horrid...
>>
you should really try working in a restaurant first

it's not glamorous senpai

a very important thing you need to realise is that if you're an intelligent person, you will not find many people in kitchens that are like you. if you get a gig at a nice fine dining place where everyone's a pro, then cool, but not every place is like that.

it's not an easy job

it's hot

people are assholes

people are idiots

people are lazy

t. cook
>>
>>9334319
It's rough, man. Too many degenerates, too many people with a chip on their shoulder. A lot of your coworkers will be there because it's the only job they can get.
Try it out, but don't go in expecting anything less than psychopathy.
>>
>>9332523
Have you worked in a busy restaurant kitchen before?
If not, then don't make this choice lightly. Do the work and decide after six months if you can do it the rest of your life. Culinary school is expensive and can be a waste of your time if you aren't already talented as well. It's gonna suck to pay out the ass for a meme degree and end up "cooking" for Olive Garden or something horrible.
>>
It's a fucking terrible idea.
Working back of house in a low-mid tier restaurant will make you want to kill yourself or pick up a drug habit.

The hours are long and tedious with unfulfilling work that rapes your ass over and over.
The people are either total cunts or have lost their souls to the industry and are running on fumes.
The customer only knows you exist when you fuck up, it's thankless work and you're ever move will be judged so some middle age cunt can come and complain at you that the well done steak he ordered isn't moist.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.