[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to expose yourself to foods outside

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

What's the best way to expose yourself to foods outside your culture or even family experience, and become more well rounded?

I've tried obscure dishes from my family in the South, I've eaten at extremely high scale restaurants, I ate fresh whale once... But I don't know how I'd order meats from a deli or learn what should be good. I couldn't go to a Lebanese restaurant and figure out what should be good on the menu. No one ever taught me these things, and I don't know who would.

How do you learn these things and experience more?
>>
>>9307252
Travel and/or make friends from other parts of the world.
>>
>>9307252
>Go to restaurant with good reviews.
>When asked by waiter what you want, ask what's recommended.
Repeat ad infinitum.
>>
>>9307252
it's a gamble
>>
>>9307282
Also point out that your a notable yelper
>>
>>9307252
fuck dirty whores from other countries from dating apps

ask them to show you a great breakfast place in the morning
>>
>>9307252
"What's the best way to expose yourself"; I'd say you should get a trench coat......
>google " ethnic foods
>avoid indian foods
>get rich
>retire
>>
Whenever I travel I make it a point to try something new, especially if it's hard to get where I'm from. Anything from horsemeat in France to Hoka Hoka Bento in Jakarta. The barrier you describe gets in the way sometimes, not knowing how to order etc but I just blunder through. if it's something I'm really stoked to try I'll probably try to read up beforehand
>>
>>9307252
>I couldn't go to a Lebanese restaurant and figure out what should be good on the menu.
Either ask the waiter or start from the top of the menu. You're not going to become familiar with Lebanese food overnight
>>
>>9307252
>I couldn't go to a Lebanese restaurant and figure out what should be good on the menu.
It's not that hard. These places are usually family run establishments that take pride in what they do. If nothing particularly strikes you ask the owner/server what's good. If the menu is small he might say everything, and could even be right. If the menu is large he'll know what the best selling items are, and steer you toward them. This goes for any small family run place where there isn't a language barrier.

Other good resources include food writing (eater is pretty fucking great in NYC, don't know about elsewhere) and people you know. There were always people in my social circle who had immigrant parents. I'd make it a point to meet and chat up their moms for bits of food wisdom. Got a bunch of good recipes from doing this, and some insight into different cuisines.
>>
Youtube is your friend. Just search up random recipes. If you like em keep em.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.