[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a bit of help making sushi. Now I'll be straight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: FBIRoll35220.png (290KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
FBIRoll35220.png
290KB, 600x399px
I need a bit of help making sushi. Now I'll be straight forward,

I'm an American from California of all places, my palate has probably no taste for authentic sushi as I ask for this.

There was a Sushi place over in LA called Volcano Sushi & Boba that gave me the best Catapillar roll that I tasted (Which probably takes like shit all things considered) So much so that I tried to make it myself using all the ingredients that went into it.

I've had moderate success, like I'm not such a spazz at cooking that I can't cook my own food, I new how to cook rice and I knew how to look up a tutorial and buy the equipment I Need to roll up sushi. I guess my major issue was the product I used in general.

What I've noticed *And why I specified that I live in California* is that sushi I eat doesn't have too much of a strong flavor. Like everything blends so well together nothing stands out, the crab doesn't stand out the seaweed doesn't stand out the cucumber doesn't stand out and the avocado doesn't stand out, I can taste it all there, but it's all a uniform and nice taste that blends together.

However When I try to make it myself, something always stands out too much, either the imitation crab I use or the cucumber taste way too green, or the seaweed is just so very strong and completely overtakes everything about the meal and makes it the sole focus.

I want to know how to make sushi that can blend together, if anyone can give me and product advice or something I should do with the produce before I start using it I'd love to know.
>>
>>9300188
There are plenty of places that serve authentic sushi in California.

As for your question, this is only a guess but maybe it's the sauce they use on the sushi that ties everything together for you? The eel or spicy mayo sauce is a lot of the flavor of these sorts of rolls and when people try to make it themselves they'll often forget the sauces.
>>
>>9300236
The sauce on top is the tricky part, I don't know what they use, I know it's some type of sweet sauce like barbeque, but I don't, it's a lot looser probably be safer to say it's some type of teriyaki sauce or something people normally put on top of Unagi.

Also, the roll at Volcano is very very basic. It's pretty much a California roll with avocado and unagi put on top
>>
>>9300246
The brown sauce they use is usually just sweet eel sauce, which in most places is a sugar/soy sauce/mirin reduction
>>
>>9300266
Well that solves the sauce and I thank you for that, but how do I make my crab stop having such a strong flavor that it over takes the dish? or my Cucumber from tasting less green?
>>
>>9300292
You probably want to shred the imitation crab more, almost minced. And are you using mayonnaise in the imitation crab? As for the cucumber I don't really know what to tell you, I usually don't like using it. I'll use avocado if I'm making rolls like this.
>>
>>9300317
I am but maybe I'm using too little or too much, also I probably should mince the crab too
>>
>>9300292
Not all imitation crab is the same. Try out different brands to find the most bland one.
Or buy real crab meat

Regarding cucumber, make sure to take out the seeds with a spoon and pretty much only leave the skin with a little pulp inside. Also helps to leave them in the fridge for a couple hours wrapped in paper towels, super crispy and not soggy at all.

Nori is hard. Goes the same way as for surimi, try different brands to see their taste.

Most of all, try and get a consistent rice cooking and seasoning. That's the thing that sets apart good from bad sushi.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.