[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doctors tell you to cut down on sugar and saturated fat if you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4293.png (60KB, 1024x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4293.png
60KB, 1024x300px
Doctors tell you to cut down on sugar and saturated fat if you've got bad cholesterol, but is that entirely true? Obviously sugar needs to be cut out entirely considering it has 0 (ZERO) nutritional value, but I'm less certain about the fat. I've read on /sci/ that US scientists have been paid off by the sugar industry to overstate the danger of saturated fat and understate the danger of simple carbs. So does that mean it doesn't really matter that much if you eat a lot of, say, cheese and red meat, as long as you're not eating sugar? Or is saturated fat still that dangerous?
>>
>>9298232
What is your ldl and hdl?
>>
>>9298279
LDL - 126 mg/dL
HDL - 42 mg/dL

I'm only 23 though so it's probably worse than it sounds.
>>
>>9298232
>Or is saturated fat still that dangerous?
Read this:
https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/
>>
I love cheese, butter, turkey but im scared of getting heart attacks :(
>>
>>9299561
Inflammation in respective tissues cause heart attacks, not any foods.
>>
Biochemist here.

The kind of sugar you actually want to avoid is processed and cane or corn derived, as it's only nutritional value is as a quick source of fuel. Repeatedly dumping high doses of this stuff will cause diabetes, that's no meme. What really flummoxes me is when people say fruit is terribly unhealthy, or claim that ALL sugars should be avoided. It's inane because, as people who haven't studied biology don't understand, protein is broken down into a number of components, some of which are then processed by the body into glucose. Glucose is REQUIRED by the body to function. Your brain alone needs 400 calories of glucose a day on average- it actually can't use anything else as a source of fuel. Your body can synthesize it from protein but there's no reason to avoid it if you're at a healthy weight. I'd encourage anyone of any health status to completely eliminate processed sugar from the diet, with the exception of the occasional fine dining experience or grandma's cookie.

As for cholesterol, people generally don't understand it's function either. Cholesterol is absolutely necessary for bodily function- and you get very sick without it. There's little research done on hypocholestemia because it's a rare issue- almost no one in the US is going to have low cholesterol- you'd have to be a vegan. If your cholesterol is within healthy limits, there is ZERO (0) reason to limit your intake. Period. Unless it's in the 250's, 300's, you're not at a pronounced risk for stroke or ischemia. I would aim for 200 overall.

>>9299561
Unless you're grossly overweight or have very high cholesterol, you SHOULD be eating butter and cheese (though there are other medical issues with dairy that I won't discuss here). In a controlled randomized study of geriatric inpatients, those fed butter and real animal fats as opposed to rapeseed oils actually had a LOWER rate of heart attacks, stroke, and ischemia.

>>9300264
You have no idea what you're on about.
>>
>>9300386
typo, 100
>>
Saturated fat is probably the best type of fat to consume, the more saturated the better. But you probably shouldn't have very much of it.

Simple sugars don't have much nutrients besides being carbs, but they're easy to digest and your body likes them, so what else are you going to use for calories ?

Keep fats low and saturated, 80 g of protein and eat a lot of fruit, low fat milk, juices and sugars.
>>
>>9298232
Bad cholesterol is a shit meme to sell drugs. If you are normal wight dont bother with cholesterol.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.