[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asian food. I can't enjoy it unless it's Americanized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: yaki-udon.jpg (66KB, 500x454px) Image search: [Google]
yaki-udon.jpg
66KB, 500x454px
Asian food. I can't enjoy it unless it's Americanized as fuck. I really want to enjoy it, but I can't fucking get into it. How do I get into Asian food, /ck/?!
>>
>>9291062
Go to Asia?
>>
>>9291062
start by really savoring the taste and paying attention to the flavors of your local chinese buffet
>>
>>9291062
Learn about it. Find out what the major ingredients and techniques of Chinese and Japanese cuisine are. The unfamiliar tastes and textures will seem less strange when you know what they are. I suggest finding out what soy sauce is exactly, Wikipedia should help.
>>
>>9291077
Did that once and had to have my stomach pumped.
>>
Which cuisines have you tried and what dishes did you have?
>>
>>9291062
Maybe try a good dim sum or find a chinese bakery, you can try a variety of foods without dropping too much money, while being a step above most buffets.
>>
>>9291085
To be honest, it's mainly Japanese cuisine that I can't do. Something about the flavors in their mainly authentic seafood dishes just...don't sit well with me. A lot of sour and pungent stuff. I hate that I don't enjoy it though since I'm a big seafood fan otherwise.
>>
>>9291093
Well that's normal. Some Asian cuisines use strong flavors that are considered flat out undesirable outside of Asia. Shrimp paste for example. I don't know anyone who enjoys that unmistakably fishy taste except for first gen Asian immigrants.

That doesn't mean what you like is inauthentic or very Americanized, but there are some things that are totally off limits. You probably wouldn't miss out on anything if you avoided fermented or preserved stuff completely.
>>
>>9291062
Spend a few weeks travelling to China
Or stop being about being a palatelet
>>
>>9291062
俺の知ってる焼きうどんと違う・・・
>>
>>9291062
You don't have to like asian food.

Just a thought.
>>
OP it would be easier to give you advice if you listed some of the particular dishes you've tried already and didn't like.
If sour and savory isn't up your alley, it might be possible to modify the recipes of some of the things you've tried. Or suggest a different dish.
But it really depends on what you've tried so far.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.