[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are double boilers a meme? i mean why can't you just turn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: doubleboiler.jpg (34KB, 350x235px) Image search: [Google]
doubleboiler.jpg
34KB, 350x235px
are double boilers a meme?

i mean why can't you just turn the heat really low?
>>
>>9285282
Because a conventional cooktop can't even make the heat go that low.

Also double boilers provide even heating compared to the hotspots you get from direct heat which can easily burn delicate things like milk, sugar, or chocolate.
>>
>>9285282
Yeah this thing that has been around forever and has a legitimate use is a fucking meme, you solved the mystery detective assblood
>>
File: 20160322_180316.jpg (542KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160322_180316.jpg
542KB, 2048x1152px
>>9285282
>double boilers provide even heating
This is very important when melting TNT for casting into shaped charges. You get a hot spot in your pan while doing that, you won't have a pan much longer.
>>
It's the only way to cook oats without the milk growing a skin or burning
>>
You know how you can spot an idiot? They refer to things they don't understand as memes.
>>
>>9285282
You managed to take a decent question, and fag up the board with it by asking if it's a meme. Points for originality, faggot.
>>
>>9285282
I made hollandaise on a direct flame once and it turned out fine
>>
>>9288498
flame is doable but tough, electric and induction it's absolutely necessary because those are equally hot a variable amount of the time rather than variably hot an equal amount of the time
>>
>>9285282
there are some applications for double boilers when you might be able to just turn the heat down really low, but there are many factors at play. the materials of your pots and pans, the type of burner you have, and the starting temperature of your ingredients can all fuck up your ''just turn it down low'' plan. using a double boiler is easy and provides a reliably low, even temperature.

the real question is how do we get all of you underage& fucking morons off of the cooking board? you don't need to come to 4chan just because mom won't let you use the oven. yahoo answers is probably more your speed.
>>
>>9288498
I have too but I did the Alton Brown thing of taking it on and off the heat.

Double boilers are messy but helpful. I wouldn't do chocolate or such without it.
>>
>>9288524
99% of people here don't even cook so i'm pretty sure the board would die if they did that
>>
>>9285282
the heat is much more even, nice to have for some tasks
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.