[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The girl I'm seeing really likes Greek food and I wanted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Flag_of_Greece.svg.png (11KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Greece.svg.png
11KB, 2000x1333px
The girl I'm seeing really likes Greek food and I wanted to make a full on Greek dinner, she vegetarian. What things should I make?

I've thought about pita bread, humus, souvlaki and salad. Any other ideas?
>>
baklava you idiot
Are you even trying?
>>
Halloumi. Bitches love halloumi.

Fried slices of aubergine and courgette.

Also that lentil and onion dip they do is the bomb. They call it fava but it's made with yellow split peas not fava beans.
>>
>>9267845
Yeah I'm doing the souvlaki with grilled halloumi
>>
>>9267830
Just looked it up, looks like a good dessert idea cheers
>>
>gf likes greek food
>so i'm thinking about cooking turkish, arabic, turkish and pan-european food, in that order
Why not cook something actually Greek?

>>9267830
>asks for greek suggestions
>suggests turkish
lol

Just waiting for someone to suggest moussaka so I can lol about that, too.
>>
make some guyrows
>>
>>9267864
When I look up greek foods these do come up- I didn't just pull them from a hat.

Anyway, what would you suggest?
>>
>>9267867
>look up
Presumably on Google and in English, yeah?
I can't blame you, really. Turks have brought their food to the west and relabled it as Greek,that's not rare. Hummus, for example, was brought to Turkey by Arabs and they brought it westward, skipping Greece entirely. No one in Greece has any idea wtf hummus is. Look it up.

There are, however, other bean spreads in Greece. There's one made of dried broadbeans which is similar to hummus somewhat, if not only in colour.
You boil dry, split broadbeans with laurels and shallots or leeks until soft, drain, remove the laurels and pass the beans and shallots through a food mill (or just pop in the food processor and give it a whiz). Stir in some virgin oil, salt to taste, dried oregano or sage (crumbled in your finger tips), chopped brined capers, lemon juice or vinegar and some more shallot, raw this time, finely minced.

As for souvlaki: I'm just being a dick on that one. Vegetarian-ish* versions with halloumi are Greek-ish (Cypriot, actually, but have entered the mainland, too).
*I say -ish because halloumi is made with rennet, which is not vegetarian. If it must be strictly vegetarian, use akkawi or peynir instead, though those cheeses or not known in Greece.
As your GF is vegetarian, there's really not much I can suggest other than bean-based dishes. Would that be okay?
>>
>>9267896
That bean thing doesn't sound too bad, I'm giving some a go by myself first of all so I'll give it a whiz
>>
>>9267864
It's highly unlikely that his gf is as pedantic as you about food origins, so is it really likely to matter much?

Why laugh at moussaka? Because it wasn't invented in Greece? Fact is they eat it there.
>>
>>9267923
>pedantic

You asked about Greek food, not vaguely-mediterranean-and-I-dont-give-a-fuck-anyway, dumbass. You really sure you want a girlfriend?
>>
>>9267957
OP here, that's not me. But I will say that my GF isn't too fussed about the specific origin of the foods if it's nice
>>
>>9267923
See >>9267896

There's plenty of good Greek food, but all everyone ever seems to know is rebranded Turkshit.
>moussaka is eaten in greece
Not really. Cyprus, sure, but mainland Greece sees is as a Cypriot IE Arab/Turkish thing. There is a similar dish actually eaten in Greece, though. AND it's vegetarian, so suitable for OP.

>>9267867
Peel some tomatoes and crush them, separating juice from solids. Caramelise the tomato solids with some sliced onion in olive oil, adding a bit of the fresh pressed tomato juice (plus additional tomato juice if/as necessary) when it starts to look too dry. Finally, salt to taste and stir in oregano. Some people also add thyme.
Fry thin slices of potato, aubergine/eggplant, courgette/zucchini to just par cooked. Some people also add roasted yellow peppers for additional colour.
Add a little of the tomato sauce to the bottom of the casserole, top with potato, aubergine and courgette slices, some drained mizithra or drained ricotta and more tomato sauce. Repeat. And repeat. And repeat. If you can find dry mizithra/ricotta, grate some on top as the last layer.
Bake until done and serve.
>>
>>9267957
Don't be a dick. I was just making the point that most food people think is Greek is not eaten in Greece, pita and souvlaki notwithstanding.

>>9267971
That's a good way to be. Wasn't sure how strict she is about vegetarian stuff, though, which is why I gave alternatives to halloumi in case rennet is off the table.
>>
>>9267984
>tomatoes
>potato
>courgette/zucchini
>peppers
These are not Greek. Autists can't even get their shit straight around here. /ck/ is really falling apart.
>>
>>9267990
(=^ω^=)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.