[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So tomorrow I'm going to follow my first 'recipe'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Sesame-Chicken-above.jpg (73KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sesame-Chicken-above.jpg
73KB, 640x480px
So tomorrow I'm going to follow my first 'recipe' instead of buying a frozen dinner.

I found an ingredient list and directions on how to make Sesame Chicken.

I'm sure it'll actually be really easy to follow directions (I've actually made other recipes before but not any that required more than like 3 ingredients) but I was wondering if anyone had any tips

1. I don't have any measuring spoons. What's a good way to get a fairly accurate estimate of tablespoons, etc.

2. I find then when I cook at a high temp I get a lot of smoke coming off the pan. I have smoke detectors within 30-40 ft of my stove. What's a good way to not set off the alarms

3. How the fuck do I cook rice? I've been looking for tutorials and I just see (boil until boiled, then turn heat off and let it steam)
>>
File: 1475098877241.jpg (48KB, 620x700px) Image search: [Google]
1475098877241.jpg
48KB, 620x700px
Measuring shit generally isn't important, especially for asian sauces, so just eyeball it

Turn on the fan above your stove or open a window, or use an oil that won't smoke too much (coconut oil is one)

Put one more cup of water than rice, a little butter and salt, heat on high until it begins to foam and simmer (not boil), then put the lid on and leave it for about 21 minutes
>>
>>9258687
Are you fucking serious? Butter and salt?
>>
File: tablespoon.jpg (124KB, 800x401px) Image search: [Google]
tablespoon.jpg
124KB, 800x401px
>>9258679
>What's a good way to get a fairly accurate estimate of tablespoons
Use a tablespoon.
>>
>>9258679
1. Chinese recipes aren't about precise quantities. Put whatever you want into it, it's not like baking.
2. Remove batteries from smoke detector
3. Cook in a pot with more water than rice.
>>
>>9258679
You are going to fuck up the rice I guarantee it.
The method for stove-top rice is simple but the variables will sabotage you.
Your stove's temp range and your pots ability to retain and distribute heat are unique and it will take a bit of time to get a feel for them. If you don't want to risk it this time I suggest making your rice in the oven.
Practice cooking your rice on the stove-top when you don't need it to turn out well as part of a meal.
>>
>>9259226
You fucking madman
>>
>>9259198
I don't know, man, are you fucking serious?
>>
>>9258679
You will fail.
>>
>>9258679
>I find then when I cook at a high temp I get a lot of smoke coming off the pan. I have smoke detectors within 30-40 ft of my stove. What's a good way to not set off the alarms

1) You might be using the wrong cooking oil.
2) turn the heat down!
>>
>>9258679

>What's a good way to get a fairly accurate estimate of tablespoons
just use a tablespoon? what the fuck dude are u retarded who dont have spoons

>I find then when I cook at a high temp I get a lot of smoke coming off the pan.
turn the heat down and/or use more oil

> How the fuck do I cook rice?
u literally just add water and let it cook nigga wtf

for the spices, try to put in a little bit less than whatever recipe youre following tells you to, especially when it comes to salt. let it cook for a little bit in that so it all mingles, then taste the sauce and go from there. add a little bit more of each spice and slowly youll start to realize 1) youre recognizing what spices add what flavors to the sauce and 2) youll get closer to a taste you actually like
>>
>>9259268
>rice in the oven

do Americans really do this?
>>
>>9259824
>for the spices, try to put in a little bit less than whatever recipe youre following tells you to, especially when it comes to salt. let it cook for a little bit in that so it all mingles, then taste the sauce and go from there.

This. A lot of newbie cooks get fixated on exact measurements. Don't fall into that trap. A recipe is a guideline, not something that needs to be followed exactly. Different ingredients have different potency of flavor so don't just blindly dump in whatever the recipe calls for. Taste and adjust accordingly.
>>
>>9258679
>I don't have any measuring spoons. What's a good way to get a fairly accurate estimate of tablespoons, etc.
buy a spoon, you can ete a teaspoon but not a tablespoon
>I find then when I cook at a high temp I get a lot of smoke coming off the pan. I have smoke detectors within 30-40 ft of my stove. What's a good way to not set off the alarms
its either the oil you are using or you fucked up your pan
>How the fuck do I cook rice? I've been looking for tutorials and I just see (boil until boiled, then turn heat off and let it steam)
depends on the rice, it should have directions a the bottom even tho there are better ways
>>
>>9259198
i never put any butter on boiling ricce so i cant comment on that but a little bit of oil in boiling water stops shit from sticking to the bottom of the pot
>>
Echoing what others have said about the smoke: check which oil you're using.

Different oils have different smoke points. Classic olive oil has a fairly high smoke point, while virgin olive oil has one that is much lower. Sunflower oil is another good high smoke point oil.

Also, you're probably making the same mistake I used to make. You don't want your heat very high except in certain circumstances.

You'd think more heat = faster/more thorough cook-through, but all it does is burn the outside and leave the inside undercooked.

You'll want to cook most anything on medium - medium high heat. A few exceptions would be when you want to sear a piece of protein before turning the stove back down to finish cookjng it, or to finish it in the oven; another exception would be stir-frying, which is often done on high heat.

Best of luck, OP.
>>
There are two schools for rice
1) Put rice in a large quantity of boiling salted water, let it boil for X minutes (written on rice bag, usually 10 to 15minutes), drain.
2) Put X cups of rice in Y cups of boiling water with a little salt (X/Y proportions are on bag of rice, usually 1/1 to 1/2). Simmer until all water has evaporated.

First one isn't common in the USA from what I understand. Second one necessitate to understand basic fractions, way beyond average Murican maths skills, so you end up with weird recipes that may or may not work depending on how much rice you're cooking.

And congrats on learning how to cook. Don't give up, you'll learn from your mistakes.
>>
>>9259861
Made rice pilaf in the oven before, turned out fine. I don't see what the problem is
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.