[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are flat bottomed woks any good, or am I just fucked in general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: coil.jpg (26KB, 406x300px) Image search: [Google]
coil.jpg
26KB, 406x300px
Are flat bottomed woks any good, or am I just fucked in general by being on electric?
>>
You're fine. Just be smart about heat management, i.e., cook in small batches and warm stuff up to room temp or higher.
>>
>>9258083
in this line of questioning, can a stainless steel pan substitute for a flat bottomed wok, but simply cook with smaller portions to avoid spillage?

>>9258083
what do you mean warm stuff up to room temp or higher, you mean ingredient stuff?
>>
>>9258287
>in this line of questioning, can a stainless steel pan substitute for a flat bottomed wok, but simply cook with smaller portions to avoid spillage?
Maybe if you had it seasoned and used even tinier portions. Cast iron might be better than SS if you had to go with an alternative, but woks are much more convenient. You can throw in a handful of meat, let it sear, push it to the outer edges and quickly let the center heat up to searing temps again. They're lighter, easier to clean in between batches, and there's some mystical shit about carbon steel making food taste better.
>what do you mean warm stuff up to room temp or higher, you mean ingredient stuff?
As in, don't use ingredients right out of the fridge/freezer. You'll learn to gauge how much you can throw in at a time with experience, but if you misjudge and stuff starts boiling, pour it all out and drain the fluid, and let the wok heat up again before you toss it back in.
>>
File: qwRB7QP.png (23KB, 151x126px) Image search: [Google]
qwRB7QP.png
23KB, 151x126px
>>9258287
It means get the heaviest bottomed flat wok, crank the burner to Hi, and wait 5 minutes, open up every window and fan, and than toss maybe 2 portions, TOPS, of your stir fry shit in there. Start with the meat, cook it 75-100% of the way, take it out, give the pan a quick wipe down, get it back up to fucking hot, do your veg, when the veg is 75% done, add your meat, mix it good, sauce it, plate it. Easy enough to do if you work fast, smart and have your shit together
>>
electric coils don't put out enough btus. neither do standard gas burners.

if you don't have [pictured] then just use a saute pan.
>>
stir fry is overrated
>>
>>9258334
thanks for the advice, it really helps, about seasoning the pan though, am i supposed to reseason every time I use it and wash it after every use? or do I not wash the pan after using it to keep it seasoned.
>>
>>9259219
Any type of seasoning should last unless you wash with soap or cook something acidic. You should look up videos on how to season whatever you end up going with and which type of oil to use.
>>
>>9258352
>cheap
>easy
>tastes good
Sounds like your mums cunt is overrated as well
>>
>>9258343
This is the only non-retarded answer itt. Unless you have one of those jet afterburners you aren't using the wok properly. A flat bottom wok is fucking stupid because they're meant to direct heat up the sides, cooking the food while tossing it.
>>
>>9260320
>that guy's mom's cunt
>tastes good
"no"
>>
>>9258083
>Are flat bottomed woks any good
Nope.

If you have an electric range then the best you can do for a stir-fry is to use a thick, heavy, pan like cast iron or stainless steel and heat the piss out of it beforehand.

Imagine it like this: You want to buy a fancy car but your salary isn't high enough to just pay for it outright, so you save up money instead. That's what you're doing here. Your electric stove is too weak, but you can store up a lot of heat using a thick heavy pan.

>>9259219
>am i supposed to reseason every time I use it and wash it after every use?

Yes, you're supposed to wash it after every use. If you seasoned it correctly washing will not harm the seasoning and there will be no need to re-season it.

>>9260341
This.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.