[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ck/, what do I look for to find the best steak at the supermarket?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: supermarket steak.jpg (154KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
supermarket steak.jpg
154KB, 640x480px
Hey /ck/, what do I look for to find the best steak at the supermarket? Could you break it down by cut if possible?
>>
ask the butcher which will give the strongest maillard reaction
>>
Go to the counter and ask for their best ribeyes

Wa la
>>
>>9246187
Different cuts are different, not necissarily "Better". Pick your cut based on your personal taste and what you intend to do with it. From there look at the steak and pick one with good marbling.

Obviously this will vary based on personal tastes, but top-tier steaks are: Porterhouse/Tbone, NY Strip, Filet aka tenderloin, and ribeye. Mid-tier would be things like sirloin.

Marbling is key. You don't want a steak with large areas of un-interrupted solid red muscle. You don't want large chunks of solid fat either. Instead, you want small amounts of fat spread evenly throughout the met.
>>
>>9246209
Oh sorry, I mean for example say I want a NY strip. I should be looking for
> large areas of un-interrupted solid red muscle
> don't want large chunks of solid fat either
> want small amounts of fat spread evenly throughout the met

for any cut I decide on? Thanks.
>>
>>9246221
>> large areas of un-interrupted solid red muscle
>> large chunks of solid fat
Those are bad.

>> want small amounts of fat spread evenly throughout the met
Yes.
>>
You want marbling and a steak that isn't bright red regardless of cut. Some texture to the meat too. Tbh you should visit a local butcher if you can, it's just as cheap and better quality 99% of the time
>>
>>9246237
My bad, I copy and pasted wrong.
>>9246242
To be honest it's a convenience thing for me. I live a mile from my local super market and the "butcher's shop" is just a fish market that never really has any stock. Other butcher's shop is a good 20 minutes away.

Thanks for all the advice guys I think I know what to look for now.
>>
>>9246254
>"butcher's shop" is just a fish market that never really has any stock
I don't know how it works in where ever you are from, but here in Finland you can order specific cuts and meats from the butcher/market.
My old man used to order small intestines to make sausages for example.

If you like stew you should order bovine-/oxtail. Works wonders when slowly cooked.
>>
>>9246187
There are cuts only meant for braising, and are roasts, but because people are poor folks who will chew tough meat, or pound the shit out of it, or pan braise after rolling it or tenderizing it...well, stores sell low fat, tendon wrapped cuts meant for braising as "steak" so buyer beware.

For eating out of hand, knife and fork steaks. There are 3 main boneless cuts.
Rib eye
NY Strip
filet mignon
Sirloin is debatable as tough, but flavorful.
Cubed steak is tenderized for you, could certainly cook it as steak.
You can buy these cuts with and without bones to cut around, and separated or together on the bone such as Tbone.

Just one by one look up a cut name, learn how it is recommended to cook it, buy it, cook it, and then you know.

If you se
>>
>>9246267
I love oxtail. Unfortunately in order to get quality oxtail i'd have to drive 40 minutes to the major city.
>>
>>9246242
>local butcher
This is good if you actually have one. If not you have to go to a mid-tier grocery store, go to the meat department and ask to see the butcher to ask about bones. If someone comes out with bones ask him about the meat, its likely a real butcher trapped in tops/wegmans/regionalgrocernearyou
>>
>>9246254
>"butcher's shop" is just a fish market that never really has any stock.
Could it be possible it is all in the back? They often just cut things to order in the back and do not lay out things in front to oxidize.

>>9246242
Like this pic of a ribeye, the fat is well distributed, not only around the outside or too thick intramuscularly. But, with a ribeye, especially a medium or medium well, that fat will render and it matters not. The marbly fat throughout will flavor meat with the melting, which is what makes people love this cut even when it isn't prime. Similarly, the NY strip should have that speckled white fat throughout too. These two steaks have a different texture, the NY strip being much firmer, and I think the easiest to cook perfectly for a new cook.
>>
>>9246299
>Could it be possible it is all in the back? They often just cut things to order in the back and do not lay out things in front to oxidize.
They only have one specific cut per day. Like I went on Tuesday and they had strips and if I wanted a rib eye i'd have to come in on Friday.

Thank again for all the info guys. One last question. I have some strips steaks defrosting right now and plan on grilling them. Any recommendations on what to marinate it in?
>>
>>9246187
>>9246242
This. Marbling is very important and it's good to support your local butcher too. I find that lower end butcher cuts are higher quality than super market cuts. The difference can be night and day, you wouldn't think so but its true.
>>
>>9246314
>Any recommendations on what to marinate it in?

A lot of people think that you always need a marinade and that's simply not true. Marinades are tools for fixing problems like tenderness, etc.

I'll be happy to give ideas on marinades but first you need state what your point behind it is. Do you have tough meat you need to make tender? Are you shooting for a specific flavor you want to add to your steak to match the rest of the meal? Or do you want a marinade just because?

>>frozen steaks
enjoy your drip loss.
>>
>>9246338
I want to make it super tender and also want to try adding honey into the mix.
>>
>>9246344
Raw pineapple
Soy sauce
Honey
garlic
ginger
red chili

The pineapple must be raw. It contains an enzyme which will tenderize the meat. Be careful not to overdo it as if you let it sit too long it can literally turn the steak to mush.
>>
>>9246314
dry brine it overnight
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.