[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legit question incoming: Im gonna make a stew yknow... brown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1488852603685.jpg (36KB, 616x463px) Image search: [Google]
1488852603685.jpg
36KB, 616x463px
Legit question incoming:

Im gonna make a stew
yknow... brown some slices of pork, sautè some veggies, put it all in a bowl with a fuckton of spices & sauces & whatever, and let that shit boil for about 3 hours, till the meat is so tender it almost dissolves when you touch it. A stew (pic related)

what im wondering is, i have a bag of chips thats got a little bit left in it. like 50 grams (bit less than two ounces), and its mostly the bottom, sorta smashed up-parts. what will happen if i throw it in the stew? will the chips dissolve? cuz im not trying to have some soggy nasty shit in my stew, but if they just dissolve and contribute to the "wholeness" (and taste) of it, then im thinking that might be pretty rad
>>
thats the kind of chips i got

its "beef & onion"-taste, but its mostly the bottom pieces, where all the smashed up ones are (as well as most of the spices)
>>
>>9244217
I think they'd just disappear. If you're worried about fucking up your stew, sprinkle them on top when you have a bowl of it. Like oyster crackers in soup.

I won't judge.
>>
>>9244239
yea im just thinking, potatoes usually take a while to dissolve. but maybe if i just smash them to pieces, and sprinkle them over, that itd be fine

... ill probably just do that. stews are fucking rad, you can usually throw just whatever into them, and it all just blends together

i might also sprinkle them on top afterwards, as you suggested. might give it a nice contexture. cheers
>>
>>9244217
If it's not too late, throw the chips in a food processor or a blender, turn them into a powder. Then they will easily blend into the soup and make it a little thicker.
>>
>>9244303

yea dude, im gonna do that. ill probably just smash the fucking bag with a hammer for a few minutes, till its almost powder-ish. im pretty sure itll suffice. appreciate the input, though. wasnt 100% sure it was a good idea at first, but im getting more confident in it

goddamn im excited, stews are fucking super fucking good
>>
>>9244307
Irish stew is #1. Gotta make it with some good malt vinegar and beer. Irish potatoes too if you can get them.
>>
OP,
1) Do not "boil" beef or any protein for hours, you simmer it on low.
2) Potato chips are more fat than potatoes, and they have a bunch of salty crap on them. One of the worst things you can try to fix is when there is too much salt in a soup.

Uses for leftover potato chips:
1) salad crouton, but must be matched well.
2) crusting a cutlet of meat to bread it
3) adding texture and flavor to an otherwise very bland sandwich, like turkey
4) topping a casserole when you have no other options
>>
>>9244323
>2
All you have to do is compensate by cutting down on the amount of salt you add from the shaker.
>>
>>9244321
im not 100% what irish stew entails, im just gonna do this:

- brown pork meat till its crisp on both sides, in bite-sized pieces
- sautè (1) carrots (2) onion (3) celery (4) garlic (5) scallions (7) whatever other vegetables i can find

then im gonna put it all in a bowl, with some chiken stocks, water to fill it up, and im gonna throw in pretty much whatever spice i can find, but hopefully it includes some cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, chili, and a bay leaf. im also gonna throw in some of that angry mustard, and hopefully some BBQ sauce or fucking.. whatever. whatever i have, ill throw some in

then ill boil it until the meat is tender (probably about 3) hours, and ill have mashed potatoes alongside it. also, im gonna pour an entire irish stout into it, obviously

is that... kindof irish stew?
>>
>>9244323
>1) Do not "boil" beef or any protein for hours, you simmer it on low.
yea thats what i mean. low heat, long time... isnt it technically still boiling though?

>>9244323
>2) Potato chips are more fat than potatoes, and they have a bunch of salty crap on them. One of the worst things you can try to fix is when there is too much salt in a soup.
legit concern, and i might not put it all in, but as >>9244331, ill probably, at first, just replace it with salt. the problem is, i wanna put the mashed chips into the stew immediately, so they have time to dissolve as much as possible. but that makes it hard to gradually judge the saltiness. but ill probably just end up not using it all. ill keep it in mind
>>
>>9244333
I wouldn't do the bbq sauce or mustard, or the chili (assuming you mean chili powder as in for chile con carne). I think the rest of what you got already is enough.

It's not really Irish stew but it should be good.
>>
>>9244339
i dont put in a lot of chili, just a little bit (the hot kind, not the taste-kind) to give it a bit. not so much its spicy, just so much it has a slight "bite". like a 2/10 spicy

and, dude, i always put in a little bit of mustard. i dont know what its called in english, but its a very bomb-tasting one.... like.... if you actually put a spoon of it in your mouth, its like having a seizure or something. its awful. but when you put a tiny spoon of it into a big-ass stew, it just... i mean you cant really tell theres mustard in it, but it does add another level of taste. i think its quite common, and it check it out if i were you

regarding the BBQ-sauce.... it depends. its just an example of "whatever i can find". if i find some fucking... fish oil or worchester sauce or whatever, im putting some of that shit in. the more, the merrier, is my philosophy with stew. whatever adds an extra layer of taste is dank (to a certain extent, of course)
>>
>>9244350
>a bit.
a bite**
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.