[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ck/ help me. i ordered the baked beans in a clay pot at a restaurant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: phpThumb_generated_thumbnail (1).jpg (160KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
phpThumb_generated_thumbnail (1).jpg
160KB, 1280x800px
/ck/ help me. i ordered the baked beans in a clay pot at a restaurant and they were so good i almost wept. i'd never tasted beans like that before. it's like they were crunchy or crisp, but definitely not undercooked.

i have never had beans with that exact texture. my theory is that they either weren't preboiled or they weren't pre-soaked. or they were put in the pot with nothing but some oil and flour and the beans were basically deep fried. but it wasn't like any fried beans i've had before. can anybody please tell me if that texture i'm describing is familiar and what the methods to achieve it are?

thanks
>>
>>9224495
>beans not on the hotdog

I was gonna answer but no
>>
File: 1Ug3vLXs2.jpg (285KB, 712x856px) Image search: [Google]
1Ug3vLXs2.jpg
285KB, 712x856px
if they were on the hot dog you would have said the same but in reverse
>>
>>9224495
don't know but I'm intrigued by this
>>
>>9224495
Are you used to canned beans? Canned beans get a lot softer because they're essentially pressure cooked at a higher temperature. Boiling dry beans are home in a regular pot won't make them that soft. Plus baked beans are traditionally baked (right?) which caramelizes the sugar and can give it a crisp texture, whereas canned beans are basically just boiled.

Just look for any recipe that uses dry beans and bakes them in the oven, it'll probably mimic what you're looking for.
>>
>>9224495
A pressure cooker for sure
>>
>>9225451
>Boiling dry beans are home in a regular pot won't make them that soft.

Sure it will. It just takes a long time. Depending on the age of the beans it could take anywhere from two to six hours.
>>
>>9225480
They can get soft and tender but not in the same way that pressure cooking will make them. The skins will always be a little firmer than pressure cooked beans.
>>
I've made baked beans from dry beans in the oven before and I got a similar texture by cooking them in enough liquid covered with a lid until they were tender and then removing the lid and allowing the liquid to evaporate, stirring occassionally. I used a dutch oven instead of a clay pot.
>>
>>9225451
op here, i've very rarely had canned beans. it' just that all the recipes i know and i've tried before have included boiling the beans before hand.
>Just look for any recipe that uses dry beans and bakes them in the
i'll try it.
>>9225530
this sounds like a good tip too, i'll try it some time, thanks.
>>
You can get the softest baked beans by soaking them overnight, with added baking soda. The day after you rinse and dry, and then pressure cooking the beans for 40-50 minutes.
>>
>>9224503
>take utensil
>place beans on dog
wa la!
>>
>>9228060
>soaking
>baking soda
>pressure cooking
Pick two at most, or enjoy your mush
>>
>>9224495
Dry beans is how most people used to make beans. They are superior texture and well worth it. The effort is minimal. It's the same effort of making any soup, only you have to plan it the day before. Big deal. People who are beans-n-rice hispanic diets do this often, as do vegans. You soak them in a bowl of water at bedtime, it's just part of the routine for many people. Dump the water before cooking the beans, and allow cooking time. There is also a "quick soak" method if you didn't plan your meal. But, you would definitely plan baked beans since they take hours after soaking, idealy.

If this is "Boston" style old fashioned beans in the crock, there's a multitude of recipes out there,but think of them as something that simmered a very long time, kind of a coals of the fire pot that hung when you had heat going on at bedtime, hence the crock. Without direct heat they stayed warm in the crock, and didn't burn on the bottom and needed minimal stirring.

These are Boston born, so think about your sugar being maple, but also brown sugar and molasses can be used to further south the recipe went. I like them all, especially bacon. So here's a balanced recipe for you.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/maple-baked-beans-350993
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.