[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to be allergic to tea? I started a new brand/flavor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: tea.jpg (43KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
tea.jpg
43KB, 450x338px
Is it possible to be allergic to tea?

I started a new brand/flavor and a couple weeks later got an infection in my eustachian tubes. I thought it was brought on by seasonal allergies causing them to swell and breed the bacteria so I was on antibiotics for 10 days. I finished and kept drinking my tea and noticed my throat is getting sore again like the problem is repeating.

I'm having the Stash brand Earl Grey. It has kind of a citrusy flavor and says it's made with oil of bergamot. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it or what else is in the tea I could be reacting too, if anything.

Has anyone heard of or suffered allergic reactions from tea?
>>
>>9210719
>Has anyone heard of or suffered allergic reactions from tea?

1) No.
2) The symptoms you describe don't sound anything like an allergic reaction.

If someone were allergic to tea the they'd get an itchy red rash wherever the tea touched their body--all over the inside of their mouth and throat. Your throat would start itching and swelling within seconds of taking your first drink of tea. And if the allergy was bad enough then you might have trouble breathing because of the rash-induced swelling.

>>9210719
>It has kind of a citrusy flavor and says it's made with oil of bergamot
OFC it contains oil of bergamot, that's the defining characteristic of earl grey tea.

Whatever it is that you have going on it sure doesn't sound like an allergic reaction.
>>
>>9210719
It's probably the bergamot
>>
>>9210735
Not every allergic reaction is that bad
>>
>>9210719
Tea itself... No.

An ingredient in the tea, entirely possible why wouldn't it you stupid shit.
>>
>>9210744
>Not every allergic reaction is that bad
They're not necessarily bad enough to stop you from breathing, but they absolutely would result in itching in the mouth and throat at a bare minimum.

>>9210751
>why wouldn't it you stupid shit.
Because the symptoms OP describes don't match the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
>>
>>9210735
OP here, the only reason I thought about tea was I was fine the other night and then had my cups and then immediately my whole nasal/sinus area got incredibly stuffy for seemingly no reason when I was fine all day. Normally it doesn't do that, but I did have some pain/sensitivity in the back of my throat the last few days and that's an area the tea will pass by. I'm looking up bergamot allergies online but a lot of it just has to do with rubbing oil on your skin so I don't know.
>>
>>9210785
I'm saying it's stupid in general to say allergic to tea. Or allergic to "soup". It would always come down to a particular ingredient used in an allergic reaction.
>>
>>9210719
OP, if you rubbed citrus oil on your hands (or somewhere more delicate), it would eventually burn. Anyone working with furniture polish like lemon oil would be wearing gloves, or a chef that was slicing or juicing citrus all day would feel the burn, and it wouldn't just be from the citrus juices, but contact with the oil.

Bergamot = grapefruit, if you didn't know. Grapefruit oil. It's aromatic and luscious. It's also something people love in their earl gray to the point the brands are calling them "earl grayer" or "extremely gray" and things like that. The content that used to be a minimal scent more than a flavor, is now a big flavor component.

Are you allergic? Not likely. Is it possible your throat is already irritated? Very likely. If you are having any other kind of allergy, seasonal allergies, post nasal drip, sinus infection that only drips at night. Or even just sleeping with your mouth open for air while you sleep, can be throat irritants, and think of the hot liquid making it tingle, or the bergamot in the liquid making it tingle or hurt more.

This doesn't mean you should go on drinking this tea since you're told it is not an allergy. You should instead discontinue this exact box of tea, at least for a while. In the case of irritation or an actual allergy, you don't pour vinegar on the wound until it is healed, or your body in its immuno-reactionary state could attack the invaders and turn into a real allergy. Because allergies are a roulette, a very real life threatening anaphylaxis possibility on the very next exposure, then why push your body in its state to develop this as an allergy. Skip it. Test the waters one day in the future when you're all healed up.
>>
>>9210797
>It would always come down to a particular ingredient used in an allergic reaction.

And you could be allergic to tea if you were allergic to the plant Camellia sinensis, aka "tea".
>>
>>9210837
(cont)

Can tea have bacteria? Can it spoil? Yep. Throw it out. I find Stash pretty lousy and bitter personally. I'll never knowingly buy it again myself. Make sure you steep tea at the right temperature for the right length of time to kill any bacteria.There used to be some dangerzone articles about "sun tea" bacteria.

For a delicate tea, consider jasmine, oolong, darjeeling, and maybe avoid dairy on the Eustachian tubes for the next few days, which is thought to be a congestion factor when already sick.
>>
>>9210837
Thanks, this is helpful. I started with this tea by getting a free sample packet at the end of May. About 1-2 weeks later I noticed the pain my throat/ear and then it's been worse since. Nothing else has changed so that's another reason why I wondered if the tea could be a cause. I'll stop taking it for now because there's really no need to anyway with it being summer. I originally thought it was normal allergies but last week I went outside to a place with 500 acres of wildflowers and tall grasses and felt 100% fine which was weird, so I don't know what brought all this on.
>>
Do yourself a favor and buy loose tea leaves
>>
>>9210840
suntea is an entirely different thing since it doesnt involve hot water at all.
if you leave a glass of anything out in the sun for 5 hours itll always have a shitton of bacteria.

op, ofc it is not an allergy, after a certain age you dont suddenly realize you have an allergy for some obscure ingredient, its a 1:million possibility, there are hundreds of more reasonable explanations.
get some sleep/rest, get tested for the basic allergies, stop smoking for a while, increase dental hygiene...
>>
>>9211702
You can develop allergies at any age. I never used to be allergic to wheat but now when I eat too much of it in a short enough time span I get itchy spots on my arms/legs.
>>
>lol i had diarrhea 2 seconds after eating taco bell i totes got food poisoning!
You're one of those people, OP
>>
>>9212164
But if it's Taco Bell then you probably did
>>
>Allergies cause bacterial infections
fucking what??
>>
>>9214504
OP again, that's what the doctor confirmed when I asked. If allergies agitate the tubes and they get inflamed enough the openings narrow and then bacteria have a haven to breed without being flushed out so it snowballs into a full on infection.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.