[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post restaurants' red flags ITT >menu is not small >menu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 25

File: 1472585460172.png (146KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1472585460172.png
146KB, 320x213px
Post restaurants' red flags ITT
>menu is not small
>menu is not seasonal
>certain dishes or ingredients are painfully obviously not obtainable fresh considering the location
>abomination variations of classic dishes or trying too hard to be "authentic"
>waiters don't know the ingredients or methods of preparing the dishes, or don't know shit about wines

Some of those do not apply if the restaurant is very expensive and you know that they can maintain an all round fresh large menu.
>>
>>9209671
more than one type of regional cuisine, usually "Chinese" restaurants with Japaniese, Thai dishes
>>
>>9209671
>Is yet another Chinese place taking the place of a recently-closed Chinese place that itself replaced another defunct Chinese place.

I hate georgia
>>
>has a marquee by the road
>parking lot is empty during lunch or dinner
>>
>Menu has pictures of food and spiral binding
>>
>>9209694
but the peaches tho.
>>
>>9209671
>red flags
when someone is a big fat phony
>>
>>9209761
t.

Holden Caulfield
>>
File: 12436457654.jpg (7KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
12436457654.jpg
7KB, 236x236px
>Floor is sticky
>Menu is laminated and sticky
>Surface of table is slightly less sticky
>>
>>9209773
That could be a shit place, or a god tier hole in the wall breakfast place, no inbetweens
>>
>it has mango salsa chicken
>it has tortilla salad
>>
>>9209782
True, but only applies for oriental cuisine. The best sushi I ever had was in some shithole place in a shithole district of Berlin.
>>
>>9209671
You just described Cheesecake Factory
>>
>>9209671
Red flags:
>wrap sandwiches
>chicken Caesar salad
>buffet/salad bar
>no beer or wine available
>bottles of ketchup on tables
>fill your own soda at the fountain
>choice of soup or salad with entree obviously canned soup or salad with bottled dressing
>the words "famous", "authentic" or "classic"
>hostess asking if you prefer a booth or a table
>kid's menu
>US Foods or SYSCO truck unloading outside
>TV screens
>>
>>9209671
-has a kid's menu
-soda fountain in plain view
-doesn't serve alcohol
-no tablecloths
-has paper napkins, not cloth
>>
>>9209694
All the shitty Chinese places are the reason I love this state
>>
>Someone at the door trying to lure people in
>Waitress is fat
>They have a kids menu
>They play shitty music
>There's IKEA art on the wall
>>
>glassware is either a mason jar or from IKEA
>>
>white customers
>>
>>9209880
If you want to talk customer red flags:
>men wearing baseball/trucker caps
>obese people
>children running around
>old people well represented
>parking lot full of F-150's
>groups of teenagers
>>
>ash tray on table
>>
File: ohgod.jpg (11KB, 259x192px)
ohgod.jpg
11KB, 259x192px
>>9209837
>doesn't serve alcohol
>>
Floral Walls/furniture

Anything other than normal cutlery and plating
>>
>>9209671
>If meat or sides are obviously microwaved.
>>
>>9210004
That sounds horrifying.
>>
>>9209763
I hate it when people make lazy literature references like that.
It kills me, it really does.
>>
>>9210089
I know that feel. Anon. Hell is other people.
>>
>>9209773
>>9209782
I've been to a Mexican place in San Antonio that fit that exact description. Awesome food, but I always hesitated going there because I hate the stickiness.
>>
>>9209773
and yet /ck/ has no sticky
>>
>>9210057
Or it's a time-traveling restaurant that came from 1960s America.
>>
>>9210089
>Your post also added zero to discussion
Ohh wah.
>>
>>9209773
That sounds like every Waffle House I've ever been to.
>>
>servers or cooks sporting visible tattoos

I refuse to eat food touched by such filth.
>>
>>9210115
Japanese restaurants (in Japan) still have them. It's real comfy.

Also if you go to a bar & grill out in the countryside here in the states you can still find places with indoor smoking.
>>
>>9210140

>Waffle Haus

>sticky

I think "greasy" is a more apt description
>>
>>9209671
If you're describing chain restaurants as a red flag, I got bad news for you son...
>>
>they don't have a visible open plan kitchen area
>>
>>9210163
For the most part being a chain restaurant is a red flag. Seriously. Try to come up with a list of chains that don't suck. It'll be a pretty short list.
>>
>>9210149
Are you familiar with syrup, krautbro? Or do they just put sausage grease on waffles in doishland?
>>
>>9210174
Red Robin. Simple burgers with a lot of topping choices and endless potato wedges. Kinda hard to fuck that up.
>>
>>9210115
Some major urban areas still had ash trays and unrestricted smoking as late as the early 1990s in the U.S.
>>
>>9210201
Nigger child you could smoke in bars and restaurants in Kentucky as late as 2012 or so. America isn't "California + NYC". When I lived in Cincinnati we used to bar hop in Covington because could smoke. I think they finally changed it.
>>
>>9209671
>vegetables are obviously out of a can

The only place I couldn't finish what I ordered and demanded my money back had shitty "general tao" chicken with carrots in the shape of lightning bolts, and disgusting juice that clearly came out of a can. God, Chinese places are awful in Washington
>>
>>9210225
>America isn't "California + NYC"
About one eighth of it is, though, by population. Start talking economy and culture and it'll be a bigger fraction.
>>9210184
>endless potato wedges
That and bottomless beverages both sound like red flags to me. And they have a kid's menu. So it's not a place I'd ever chance. If I want a $7 burger I'll just go to Shake Shack.
>>
>>9210291
>Shake shack

I don't have that. But if I were to compare it to five guys you'd pay $10 at Reb Robin including fries and drink. If you add fries and drink at places that doesn't do combos like that you'd pay about $12, $13-14 if you want Cajun. Even If I tip the customary 20% that comes out to less and I get table service instead of standing around like a bafoon in the lobby as they cook it to order.
>>
>>9210291
Cali is like 50% of American culture unfortunately. New York isn't as influential as it used to be. Back in the 70s they made most of the nation's big TV shows but now it's just a financial center.
>>
>>9209760
Ain't nothin sweet bout the peach.
>>
>>9210315
>New York isn't as influential as it used to be.
There's still a lot of TV shot here. And as far as restaurants go what NYC chefs are doing is on the radar of pretty much every serious chef in the rest of the country. The city has definitely lost its edge for arts and culture over the last 15 years, but it's become more of a dining out heavyweight than ever.
>>
>>9210104
>I always hesitated going there because I hate the stickiness.
A sticky table, to me, is telling about a place, as telling as a dirty bathroom uses the cheapest fixtures, tile, etc.
It lets me know they abhor cleaning and don't consider it a priority, and that there is no bottom line, no line in the sand as to what must be done to control costs.

What prevents a sticky table? A stack of washrags such that clean ones can be used all day. Someone can be arsed to soak and rinse out washrags until the water runs clear. Someone who minds making a pile of dirty washrags to do a single load of laundry daily. Seriously, that's it. It's far worse than the restaurant that thinks they can use a single mop with no rinsing whatsover through a greasy kitchen, or a pee-dripped men's bathroom floor, and then into the dining room of a restaurant. Spread the grease, make it slippery, make sure that beer sloshed on bar floors is spread all around. Customers also love to walk in the door and guess what the smell is, bathroom? old beer? hrm, fish? hrm, garbage?

A sticky table is telling.
>>
>>9210145
>>servers or cooks sporting visible tattoos
>I refuse to eat food touched by such filth.
I see tattoos, and I think, oh hey that guy doesn't care about odds, risks, infectious disease. His priorities are not common sense hygiene. He takes risks and waits and sees. Life isn't precious. Yea, I want him cooking for me, not. Maybe he doesn't wash his hands either.
>>
>>9210163
OP here, didn't mean chain restaurants as they aren't really a thing in Europe. There are maybe a few bigger chains here and there, but they can't compete in any way with normal restaurants, neither price- or, obviously, quality-wise.

Somehow even fast food chains can't compete on the lower price spectrum, you can get a delicious kebab-tortilla the size of your forearm, made from fresh ingredients for equivalent of 4$, while I have to spend at least two times more at McDonalds to really be full. Especially Italians really hate chain restaurants I think, I saw maybe one McDonalds while I was in Rome, and it was a filthy shithole where food costed as much as in any normal restaurant.
>>
>>9209773

Places like that are lowkey boom or bust. You're either gonna have some 10/10 food or be exposed to a salmonella factory
>>
File: autism.gif (537KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
537KB, 480x270px
>>9210145
>>9210352
I hate to break it to you friends, but most restaurant staff are heavy-smoking, hard-partying, degenerate substance abusers regardless of how many visible tattoos they have. Might wanna eat at home from now on, you pussies.
>>
>>9210352
That's far more conservative than I see it. When I see someone with tattoos all I think is someone thought they were edgy at some point in their late teens or early 20's.
>>
>>9210352
>I see tattoos, and I think, oh hey that guy doesn't care about odds, risks, infectious disease

I have no tats myself, but that seems like an odd conlucusion to make in your mind. Sure, you could get a disease from a tat, but I'd bet that you yourself take far bigger risks every day of your life without realizing or caring. Besides which, just because someone has tats doesn't mean they are into risky behavior. I know a few people who are into tats and body bods, and they are all super spergs who insist on personally inspecting the autoclave, etc, at a tattoo/piercing shop.

What I find ironic is that in my experience literally everyone who spergs out about "muh food safety" fails on the most fundamental level: they don't even bother to wash their own hands before eating. It really makes you think.
>>
>indoor smoking
>>9210147
>Japanese restaurants (in Japan) still have them. It's real comfy.
Comfy? Are you foreign? Low self-esteem? Chip on your shoulder defensive? Smoking is equivalent to bad choices in life ever since the 1960s. When big tobacco lied to people about addiction and health effects, fine, you were duped and then you got addicted. Are you over 60? If not, your excuse is that you have low self-esteem, not that it's comfy. It's why you started and it is why you defiantly still smoke despite seeing old people suffering for breath and enjoying their metastasizing cancers blowing that shit into other people's air around them, clinging to their clothes, their hair. Everyone can see that insecure teenager every time they look at you smoking. That's not comfy. It's enabling and sad that in some places in the world, business requires a clientele that would do that to the spartan interior of someone's business.
>>
File: shake stack.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shake stack.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
>>9210314
>endless fries
not that guy, but every single server at a Red Robin that I've been to, in multiple states, simply disappears from the point of dropping off your burgers with 4 fries on the plate, even if you look down at your size of fries and request more at that very point, they rush off and then they never arrive. When you ask for your refill, oh yea, be right back. Then the check comes. Overseasoned too.

So, honestly to compare the sit down restaurant Red Robin in analogy to counter service Five Guys, or Shake Shack even, they don't at all measure the same because you are dependent on a fair portion getting refilled, and it is completely out of your hands. Generosity aside, you can't fault Five Guys on the giant overstuffed bag of fries, and the bags of peanuts should you be gnawingly hungry upon arrival or still have hunger. But, what Shake Shack is doing, crinkle fries no less, is a sensible portion. You are simply getting premium burgers, lots of alternative choices for each course, and all done well. Deciding between the two choices depends on your fries mood (FG) or your entree mood, which is hands down Shake Shack. The burger is better. Desserts are better. Drinks are better. Nothing beats that stuffed portobello oozing cheese under the crispy crust on top of a burger, or the chopped cherry peppers.
>>
>>9209752
>Disliking diners
ew
>>
>>9209694
This is an Indian place near me. I had been wanting to try Indian food but that place changed hands one too many times for me to want to even try.
>>
>>9209694
C O V I N G T O N
>>
>>9210369
>Blah blah blah I am the health police and arbiter of everyone's choices and decisions in life
I'm not even a smoker, you're just a gigantic faggot
>>
>>9210089
Somebody get this guy a knifegun
>>
>>9210352
Do you ever cross the street or drive an automobile? These are two of the greatest risks possible, you psychopath
>>
>>9210369
Probably a young fag who doesn't remember the smoking section at Denny's
>>
>>9210291
>Shake shack
>implying they have a small, seasonal menu
>implying the counter staff knows about the preparation
>implying they don't have children's items
If you're just going to ignore your own red flags then why bother?
>>
>>9210315
>new york isn't as influential as it used to be
Except fashion, and cuisine, and advertising, and journalism, and architecture, and fine art.
>>
>>9209671

>the waitress cleans off your table right before you sit down, and it's still very sticky
>wrong type of spoon with the soup
>menu has stock photos of the food
>menu has any type of pictures with the food
>the POS system is running Windows 3.1
>chinese restaurant, white waiter
>1960s-style diner has a black waiter
>playboy magazine artwork in the bathrooms (in most cases i wouldn't complain, but if it's in a family restroom, that's a problem)
>italian restaurant has more than one mona lisa in the entire restaurant
>cloth booths
>>
>>9210405
I've never encountered those problems before. Wait staff was always pretty good. If I got the service you did it'd be a $0 tip. Or sometimes I leave a dime or a nickel as an extra insult.
>>
>>9210454
>Probably a young fag who doesn't remember the smoking section at Denny's

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I do remember the smoking section at Denny's. And I didn't see anything "comfy" about that whole experience:
-tables, chairs, etc, everything is sticky with fucking syrup
-oh, and it's not even real syrup, it's some kind of artificial stuff that tastes bad compared to the maple syrup my parents bought
-sit around for ages bored out of my mind while my uncle flirts with the brain-dead waitresses
-I hated eggs as a kid, and 99% of the Denny's menu involves eggs.

Nothing comfy about Denny's.
>>
>>9209671
it isn't simple, rustic, and hearty.
>>
>>9210352
>Tattoo places have no health standards
Do you also avoid going to the dentist because he used his instruments on someone else? Or to the doctor for the same reason?
I mean, I don't like tats, but your reasoning is retarded.

>>9210478
>>1960s-style diner has a black waiter
kek
>>
>>9210541
>Nothing comfy about Denny's.
I agree with you, and feel the same way about Waffle House, Cracker Barrel and the like. But obviously plenty of folks are nostalgic for poor people food from their grandparents' generation.
>>
>owner's mom/mother in law is the cook
>she has a vague slave-ish look to her, like she doesn't want to be there but she's afraid to say something
>>
>>9209880
Because a place that the majority of people don't go to is obviously a good place to go
But no, I get it
>muh autistic racism "progressive-ness"
>>
>>9210364
I know where my own hands have been.
>>
>red and white checkered tablecloth with the fuzz on the bottom of it being weighed down by either a vase made out of an old can of beans or a ridiculously heavy candle
>>
>>9210352
Anybody dumb enough to work in the culinary industry is a scummy person with little value in their life. This doesn't just apply to people with tattoos.
>>
>>9210477
He said American culture.
>>
>>9210369
This is why you should still be allowed to smoke in pubs and such. To stop pricks like this from becoming self-righteous dickheads.
>>
>>9209671
>methods of preparing the dishes,
If they knew how all the dishes were cooked they'd be the cook not the waiter you faggot.
>>
>>9210174
The Famous Dave''s down the road from me is literal god tier. I'm 100% convinced they cloned Bobby Flay and 10 of the best Texas pitmasters in the world and force them to work there.
>>
>>9209671

>I can afford to eat there
>>
File: dunes-12.jpg (3MB, 2600x3652px)
dunes-12.jpg
3MB, 2600x3652px
>fresh ingredients don't need spices
>the meat is good by itself, it doesn't need sauce
>>
>>9209671
> >menu is not small
> >menu is not seasonal
I've only seen small menus in more expensive places, and it's not necessarily an indicator of quality.

I've only rarely seen some menus with a couple of seasonal items.

There are a lot of authentic mom and pop shops for things like Vietnamese or Mexican food, the food is good, and that's just how they do their menus because those are the kinds of restaurants they grew up with.

If these are your red flags, how much do you spend when you go out to eat (just on yourself)? $80?
>>
>>9212813
>I'm 100% convinced they cloned Bobby Flay and 10 of the best Texas pitmasters
Is this because it happens to be the best place near you, or because your travels eating BBQ across Texas (and maybe other places like the Carolinas, Kansas City and Memphis) have led you to that conclusion? What you consider god -tier is relative to your experience. If most of your experience is with mediocre food something kinda good can seen amazing. This is the case in a lot of places.
>>
>>9210004
What's an ash tray?
>>
>>9210116
that person is also making a reference its a joke you god damn degenerate read a book
>>
>>9209671
>menu is not small
this is the main one for me. went into a chinese restaurant with 100+ options and got immediately overwhelmed
>>
File: eye-roll-in-motion-3.gif (884KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
eye-roll-in-motion-3.gif
884KB, 500x280px
>>9209880
This anon just like hearing people argue over the price of their meal
>>
File: 1499743251333.png (61KB, 500x146px) Image search: [Google]
1499743251333.png
61KB, 500x146px
>they only have an all day menu
>>
>>9209991
I fucking hate this state
>>
>>9210100
Ha.
>>
>>9210174
it's a regional chain, but torchies tacos is the shit.
>>
>>9210100
is this post supposed to be sartrire?
>>
>>9213171
Yuh. What's good fellow austinbro?
>>
>>9212951
Nice tumblr-tier reaction gif fag.
>>
>>9213173
You got a literal spit-take from me. Good game.

I just lost The Game
>>
>"japanese" restaurant
>non-japanese owner
>menu is full of shit like kung pao chicken, pad thai, crab rangoon, etc.
>>
>>9209833
I fucking love pizza ranch but they have a lot of those things

one of the few places that complies with my allergies though /bias
>>
>>9209880
The service will be better if there are white customers, because usually only whites tip
>>
File: 1486223737810.png (99KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1486223737810.png
99KB, 340x340px
>>9209833
>wraps
>chicken caesar salad

but why
>>
>>9210174
People get pissy with me for this opinion but while it's not my first choice, Applebees is pretty alright. I use it as a casual place to meet friends.
>>
>>9213336
Pizza Ranch is alright, their pizza is fucking shit tier but they have the best fried chicken of any fast food place.
>>
>>9209825
>Cheesecake Factory is shit
>>
File: no.jpg (16KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
16KB, 500x300px
>>9209825
>desu went there yesterday
>I really enjoyed it
>/ck/ shits on it
Well I''m sad now
>>
>>9209694
>>
>>9209694
This happens in every state.
Its a predictable cycle
>>
>>9213508
Spoilers: /ck/ is full of hipster foody shits, trolls, and know nothing soccor moms. Two of these are vapid as fuck, and the trolls just wanna make fun of shit.

There is a time and place for everything, even the shittiest mass produced garbage food. It usually involves booze, but the time and place exists.
>>
File: IMG_0603.jpg (75KB, 700x460px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0603.jpg
75KB, 700x460px
>menu is displayed in the window
>menus font is "papyrus"
>menu doesn't change every month
>individual meal prices are listed
>waiter doesn't recommend wine pairings
>minority staff
>staff has piercings or tattoos
>no bathroom attendant
>no valet
>no coat check
>no cheese cart
>brick interior
>visible pipes
>Edison light bulbs
>>
>>9212835
80$ gets you a meal in a Michelin star restaurant here, kek. I rarely spend more than 20$, but I'm from Eastern Europe so the prices are much different. Small menu doesn't guarantee that the food is good, but it greatly increases chances that it's fresh. If menu is dozens of choices, there is a good chance that some dishes are ordered maybe once a month, and it's not like they buy specific ingredients necessary to make them all the time and throw them out every other day waiting for someone to finally order that. They just freeze that shit in most of the cases.

Same with seasonal menu; it's not a necessity, but it's a good buisness model for smaller restaurants. The one I especially like to eat at has no more than 10 main dish choices at a time, and they change it every month or so, it's always fit for the season. That way they don't waste ingredients as everything on the menu gets ordered regularly, and so it's fresh and very good Italian food.

80$ gets you a meal in a Michelin star restaurant here, kek.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (68KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
68KB, 480x360px
>>9209671
Gordon Ramsay is eating there
>>
>>9209833
>is in America

for the tl:dr crowd
>>
>>9211349
Yes, most recently they were on the door handle to the public restaurant you're eating at, only the latest of countless people who have touched that same door handle.
>>
>>9210352
>Implying kitchen staff isn't a bunch of degenerates to start with, tattoos or not
>>
>>9213350
Lazy dishes for people who really don't know or care what they want to eat. No one who is into food orders them, and no one puts them on menus because they're excited about them. They're defaults for people who think they're healthy options. And they're relentlessly middlebrow - you don't see them at cheap places that sell trashy delicious things, nor are they seen at upscale places. They're sold at the kind of places that attract a crowd that's somewhat concerned about how they ought to be eating, but not particularly well informed.
>>9213479
Maybe it's because you don't have too many other options? In large chunks of the country places like Applebee's are the only options for casual dining. If that's all you've got you're gonna make due. But that doesn't mean they don't suck, it's just means you have no better options.
>>9214322
There are tons of great places to eat in America, they're just not evenly distributed. In some places there are many good choices and in other places there are none. Your experience of dining out in America is going to very much be a function of exactly where in America you find yourself.
>>
>>9210437
McDonough reporting
>>
>clients are mostly old
>waitresses/waiters are all unattractive
>has a kids menu/"family restaurant"
>menu has pictures of the food
>>
>>9214558
>Maybe it's because you don't have too many other options?

Point made. It's either them or Fridays, etc. I prefer Applebees menu choices.

Granted, near me there's a local place that's casual and 20x better. But when meeting friends a lot of them like to pick somewhere "familiar."

I'm also vegetarian and they have the best options for that in my eyes, as well.
>>
>>9214663
>But when meeting friends a lot of them like to pick somewhere "familiar."
This is what keeps chains in business. Many people would rather have something familiar even if it sorta sucks than have to face the unfamiliar. Even if they know the unfamiliar place has better food they go to the familiar place because they know exactly what they're going to get there. And corporate knows this - they know it's OK if the food kinda sucks as long as it's relentlessly consistent across all franchises at all times.

Probably the reason people give you shit for going to a place like Applebee's when you have a better local place you could give your business to is the same reason I would give you shit: you're supporting a national chain instead of a local business you acknowledge is 20x better. Without local support these local businesses go under and you're left with nothing but the chain places. This has happened across much of the country because people like you - people who actually know better - say fuck it and just go to Applebee's. And when it's just the chains you get the next generation of local people not knowing anything better is an option when dining out, because they've never experienced it.
>>
>>9214728
I'm gonna clarify for a minute: when I go out to eat anywhere, I always look for somewhere that's a local chain at least. Hole in the wall places are god tier for me though.

The only time I ever go to a chain is when people make me. I'm friends with a few really picky eaters.
>>
>>9214742
>I'm friends with a few really picky eaters.
I know that feeling. I have a few picky eater friends, and they do take a lot of the fun out of going out to eat. I'm a hole in the wall kind of guy myself. Went through a phase where I hit Michelin star places as often as I could afford to, then I kinda realized a lot of the food they served was just upscale, very carefully plated versions of humble dishes. And while I appreciated those dishes made from top quality ingredients I live in a big city and can get good examples of those humble dishes for an order of magnitude less in price at hole in the wall joints. I'm justy lucky enough to live in a place with an embarrassment of riches when it comes to dining out options. I can accommodate most of my picky eater friends (gluten free, no dairy, vegan) without too much suffering because there are so many options.

If I lived in a place with only a handful of option I'd be pretty adamant in my support of them, simply for fear of losing them.
>>
File: 1500388587164.jpg (18KB, 342x328px) Image search: [Google]
1500388587164.jpg
18KB, 342x328px
>menu has pictures of the food on it
>the pictures are stock images
>>
>you order a piece of cake for dessert and the plate has lines of some chocolate syrup shit on it
>>
white square plates
mexican resturant chips / stale / not warm or hot
over decorated
>>
>>9209694
I live in Georgia and this hasn't happened to me before. I guess I'm just lucky
>>
File: 1380481690079.png (56KB, 106x210px) Image search: [Google]
1380481690079.png
56KB, 106x210px
>>9209878
>mason jars
>>
>>9214984
>the pictures are stock images
Bonus points: The pictures still have the watermark.
>>
File: ashtray.jpg (91KB, 1200x885px) Image search: [Google]
ashtray.jpg
91KB, 1200x885px
>>9212906
an ash tray is where people bum out there cigarettes. pic related
>>
>>9209671
>It has a page for "Chef's Suggestions" or "Today's Special"
All food should be good, I shouldn't need the chef to suggest me what to order. And everyone knows the Day's Special is leftover food from yesterday.
>Sticky laminated menus
The telltale sign of a cheapskate place
>Bathroom is hidden behind the kitchen
A massive red flag
>You can't see into the kitchen
Suspicious
>Pictures of food
Unsofisticated clientele
>Poor offering of free bread
Cheapskates
>Poor lighting
Self-explanatory
>Meme plates
Unless it's an expensive place, having square plates, or food served on weird containers like wood tablets are sign of a hipster place with emphasis on presentation rather than content
>>
>>9210145
Wouldn't eat a meal served by Alex Atala then?
>>
>>9215071
>Unsofisticated
>>
>>9209991
Sounds like my local golden corral
>>
>>9214423
brb, chopping hands off.
>>
>>9209694

kek

There's an Indian place in my town just like this. It will shut down for a couple weeks, a new sign will go up overnight, it will be open for a few months, and then the cycle will repeat.
>>
>>9209694
Can't let those bamboo wall-murals go to waste
>>
>>9210478
POS systems often use archaic operating systems because the software is proven to be stable and reliable, doesn't have bugs or vulnerabilities, and most importantly it works so why pay to upgrade it? You would probably shit your pants if you ever saw what ATC towers run on or the 8 inch floppy disks that control nuclear weapons.

>>9210606
What do you have against a good family business?
>>
>>9210140
>waffle houses in Maryland

It's like walking into a beehive
>>
>>9209880
More like
>majority black customers/staff

Pretty much instant walk-out for me
>>
>>9210174
Longhorn where I'm from is pretty consistent
>>
File: BDC.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
BDC.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>no singles policy is actually enforced
>>
why is it that every single restaurant I've ever been to that has had one of those weird "Sysco" trucks in front of it has had nearly the exact same food as the other ones

and it's all flavorless shit

it's really freaky
>>
>>9217044
>not suing them for assuming that you're alone
Tell them that you and your headmates will see their asses in court
>>
>>9217090
Think about it, if they're getting all their food from the same supplier it's going to taste the same more or less. It's not like Sysco is cooking up one batch of products for Cletus' Family Restaurant and another for Barbara's House of Hotdish
>>
>>9217043
I would expect all but the worst chains to be consistent. That is the point of a chain place. Not sucking is another matter.
>>
>>9217090
sysco is a company so big you cant imigine it. They supply pretty much every restaraunt, hospital, senior facility, etc. If you arent eating at home, you are probly eating sysco. Their slogan pretty much is that they are feeding you when you are born, and right before you die, and every second in between. I dont think it makes bland food though. If a chef cant make anything good with the large selection of ingredients sysco offers, then fancy farmers market """organic"""" ingredients and other stuff isn't gonna help. Its not like sysco foods are shit either, you can get shit cuts of choice beef and old greens from them, or you can get sushi grade fish and prime grade steaks
>>
>>9217538
Well that's what I was going for. It never disappoints, but never wows
>>
>>9210089
sincerely, retard.
>>
>>9209742
>parking lot
Flyovers, please.
>>
there's 100 dishes on the menu
>>
>>9210432
there is a place here that has been like 5 different restaurants. Now it's a hibachi place. They have a huge shitty interior with crappy tables and plastic chairs and nobody NOBODY is ever in there eating when I go. I've gone and gotten "to go" orders like 6 times in the last two years though and every time it's cooked exactly to order and tastes amazing. I love that place but it's often forgotten because it just looks sad and shitty. It's stayed in that building the longest so far though and the guys wife is cute as hell. Or maybe it's his daughter. I don't know. I can't tell asian peoples age very well because they always seem to look younger than they are around here. There is another place that has been 3 other restaurants and before that it was a pet grooming/bathing place originally. Nobody eats there and I don't know how it's still open. Their menu is what ever they put on their big white billboard each day. Usually fried fish of some type or seafood and we're no where near the sea.
>>
>>9210369
>he doesnt smoke
>he drank this much anti smoking kool aid
even captcha knows antismoking propaganda is bologna
>>
>has an arcade in it
>cd rack at the register
>electrical outlets on the ceilings
>hose spigot by the front door
>more than one entrance
>the entrance is a revolving door
>steak restaurant/bbq place has a vegetarian menu
>the 'sparkling' section of the wine list only has "champagne" from california
>"farm to table" (all food is from some sort of farm)
>bead doors
>you can get a burrito with your sushi (sorry, cookout)
>tv in the restroom
>free wifi at a fancy restaurant
>food truck serves non-ethnic foods
>>
>>9212906
Ask your parents.
>>
>>9213508
kys
>>
basically anywhere that has too many things on their menu. if it lacks focus, they're doing a ton of stuff poorly instead of having a refined direction to the restaurant.

also, anywhere that doesn't treat ingredients seasonally.
>>
For anywhere in europe:
>employee outside in the street yelling at you to come inside and opening menu at you
>>
>when you ask for a substitution or to remove an item from the dish and they say they can't
if you ever hear this immediately leave, you can microwave your own premade dinners at home for a fraction of the cost
>>
>>9221874
>just want a steak
>comes with a side/potato/salad
>>
>>9222040
>>9221874
>Order ribeye
>Ask if I can get a sirloin instead of potato for my sidr
>>
>>9209671
>"Taiwanese" restaurant
>claims to serve "authentic" Taiwanese cuisine
>owned by a Chinese
>servers are Chinese
>food is Chinese
>bubble tea is Chinese (HK style)
You must think we're retarded or something.
>>
>>9209671
>reviews are low on Google/Facebook
>>
>>9209671
>waiters don't know.....shit about wines

Pleb detected.
>>
First page of each section of the menu is not handwritten.
>>
>>9209991
That's Golden Corral, essentially.
>>
File: IMG_4332.jpg (87KB, 867x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4332.jpg
87KB, 867x960px
>farm to table
>slow food
>locally sourced

Just let the food speak for itself rather than tacking on these bullshit buzzwords to appeal to White Guilt.
>>
>>9209671
>restaurant specializing in cuisine of country X
>staff aren't actually from country X
>>
>>9224301
"Locally sourced" isn't a buzzword, it's a descriptor of where the food comes from. Do you not want to know where your food comes from?
>>
>>9222080
Have a place like this in my town that advertises and styles itself to be Japanese
Once you get inside they don't even try, the menu is just your typical Chinese takeaway
>>
>>9210437
Haven't been back there since I did my two years at Oxford a few years ago. Is that godawful Chinese buffet still around?
>>
File: 1498966277625.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498966277625.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>Check out our craft beer selection!
>Sam Adams
>Blue Moon
>Shocktop
>>
>>9209671
Bathroom is disgusting
>>
>>9224321
This is generally fine if the head chef is from country X and can whip everyone else into shape
>>
>>9224321
Biggest red flag when it comes to chinese food, especially chinese take out/fast food joints.

If the cooking staff aren't either asian or hispanic I begin immediately regretting my decision. For some reason either of the two are interchangeable when it comes to decent or great take out. Might have something to do with working with quickly made greasy savory food all the time.
>>
>>9224301
It's a real thing though.

>Live in rural Australia
>There's a tiny French/Mediterranean fusion restaurant operated out of an old house.
>Run by two guys - one guy does front of house, one guy cooks - that's it.
>All food is locally farmed and sourced, menu changes every month, every single item possible is cooked after you order.
Honestly, best restaurant I've ever eaten at.
Pretty affordable too when they have a set menu.
>>
>>9224381
Bruh, once went to a place that advertised Chinese food and Italian.
Even the dog wouldn't eat the fucking shit we got.
>>
>>9224301
>being proud of supporting local small farmers and promoting it is white guilt

Kys corporate sycophant!
>>
they only have pepsi products
>>
>>9224301
>bullshit buzzwords to appeal to White Guilt.
I don't see it like that. I see it as an indicator that the place is going to be very expensive because they're sourcing their stuff from dedicated nearby farms. The plus side of this is that the dishes they serve will feature very fresh, in season ingredients. That does make a huge difference - you can prove this at home by comparing what you buy at the farmer's market vs the supermarket. Farmer's market stuff is often vastly superior in flavor, but almost always more expensive. Same goes for restaurants operating that way.
>>
>walk into gyro restaurant
>don't hear loud arguing in Greek/Turkish
>walk out

Not good unless it's legit.
>>
File: IMG_0716.jpg (155KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0716.jpg
155KB, 1334x750px
>the menu isn't printed daily with the names of chefs working today and the current date
That's how you know you're eating at a flyover restaurant
>>
>>9214603
>Hostess is fat and ugly
>>
>Music is playing
>There is a salad bar
>There are balloons and high chairs
>>
File: 1359836036480.jpg (25KB, 350x452px)
1359836036480.jpg
25KB, 350x452px
>>9224408
>farmers market is more expensive than the supermarket
>>
File: IMG_1132.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1132.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>9224388
>>9224399
>>9224408
I know that, but I'm referring to it being used to swindle extra money from diners who are swayed by those types of trends.

Also places that have the phrases printed on their menu tend to use it as a crutch to be lazy with their ingredients.
>>
>>9224760
That really depends on where you are. I live near Chinatown where the supermarkets sell vegetables so unbelievably cheap the farmer's markets can't compete.
>>9225037
>used to swindle extra money from diners who are swayed by those types of trends.
It is very au courant, and what's fashionable at the moment is what people are willing to pay extra for when it comes to dining out.
>use it as a crutch to be lazy with their ingredients.
Top quality ingredients can be shown off simply to great effect. That's a big lesson you can learn from Italian farmhouse cooking, and people pay a lot of money to go to cooking classes as part of Italian vacations. Simple is not lazy when you're talking peak in-season vegetables.
>>
>restaurant is in the middle of nowhere
>"locally sourced"
>not a single farm within 200 miles
>>
>>9225138
Okay but is that every restaurant that proudly touts it? Or the ones that don't have to throw it in your face that this was grown not too far at every corner?
>>
>>9225365
If I dropping some dough I'll take sourcing from a farm a few miles away over SYSCO anyfuckingday. I get how annoyingly precious this shit can get, but I still agree with the concept.
>>
>>9221746
Are you so autistic that you don't know that when places say farm to table they mean from a local farm and not from a big food distributor like Sysco?
>>
>>9225634

that's a logic facility.

you see, all food comes from farms. sysco is a farm. therefore no matter how "local" the sysco is, it's technically farm-to-table

basically a selling demographic for the politically unbalanced
>>
>>9225657
There is no such thing as "local" sysco you stupid fucking /pol/poster
>>
>>9225694

>lives in town with a sysco in it
>no such thing as a local sysco
>>
>>9225933
Wow, my town has a Wal-Mart, I guess that makes Wal-Mart a local business too! You shit for brains hick
>>
>>9209760
https://youtu.be/T_ooSdkMtJM
>>
Best restaurant I have ever been to was just a tiny little place run by an Egyptian guy. He was the only one there. He did all the prep, cooking, and serving by himself. His menu had hundreds of different options on it and really bad clip art but he said right at the beginning of the menu to just tell him what you where in the mood for and he would cook you a dish. He has cooked all over the world and even cooked for presidents and royalty.

Unfortunately he decided to drop out of the restaurant business to focus full time on his pharmaceutical company (he also has a PH.D in chemistry) and I have never had anything close to as good as what I have had there.

The most interesting human I have ever met.
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.