[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im new to cooking in general. I have an electric pressure cooker,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Apple Butter.jpg (2MB, 2352x1568px) Image search: [Google]
Apple Butter.jpg
2MB, 2352x1568px
Im new to cooking in general.
I have an electric pressure cooker, I just made a batch of apple butter and it turned out pretty great.

How long will it stay good in the fridge?

Its just apples vinegar and spices thrown into a pressure cooker, so I imagine no preservatives means it wont last a long time?
>>
>Vinegar.
>Not a preservative.

Also.
>Vinegar.
>Not using some applejack.
>>
>>9209034
>>Vinegar.
>>Not a preservative.

Oh

>>Not using some applejack.

I was just following the recipe because I keep fucking meals up with this thing.
Nobody seems to really have an answer on how long its acceptable to let it sit in the fridge. A bunch of "i ate 6 month old stuff and didnt die" sort of things
>>
>>9209067
If you canned it properly, it should last a fair while. 6 months + is reasonable. Use common sense, if it smells off or has something growing inside when you open it then obviously dont eat it.
>>
>>9209079
This.
If it smells like, well, not apple butter, it isn't apple butter anymore.
If some fuzzy shit is growing on or around it, you throw it away too.
It doesn't need to be stored in the fridge, but when you do open a jar, it's fridge town, just keep a closer eye on the opened jar before using.
And for the love of God, don't shake a jar you have questions about first, if it has mold on it it will just mix in.
>>
>>9209079
>>9209105
FAKE NEWS
if it's made in an electric pressure cooker it's not canned properly
>>
>>9209254
There's no reason that canning wouldn't be possible in an electric pressure cooker.
>>
>>9209254
>Starting a post with fake news
Politely kill yourself.

If it's an actual pressure cooker it does the same thing as a stove top one and is safer. It's reasonable to assume that OP knows the difference between a rice cooker/slow cooker and a pressure cooker.
>>
>>9209067
>Nobody seems to really have an answer on how long its acceptable to let it sit in the fridge

That's because there are too many variables you ponce. How long it will last depends on its pH, the exact time/temp you pressure cooked it at, the temperature of your fridge, and so on. It's not possible to give you an exact answer.
>>
>>9209795
The main difference between a "pressure cooker" and a "pressure canner" is that the latter has a method for making sure that it's contents are 100% steam, rather than a mixture of steam and air. That might sound insignificant, but it is important to make sure that the food is processed safely. On most pressure canners this is done by letting steam exit the vent for several minutes before you close it off (usually by putting a weight on it) and start the timer for your processing. There is no reason why an electric cooker couldn't have this feature, but AFIK none of them actually have it because they are marketed as convenience tools for random cooking rather than being intended for canning. Likewise you'll find that most electric cookers are too small for doing any appreciable amount of canning. You just can't fit many jars inside.
>>
>>9209850
The only thing that matters is temperature, and any pressure cooker at all gets hot enough to can most things, especially if they are acidic (in which case even a big pot would just fine )
>>
>>9209254
He didn't even need to use a pressure canner for apple butter as the ph was acidic enough to do in a boiling water bath.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/apple_butter.html
>>
>>9209026
>1.52MB for a picture of some jars
>>
>>9209870
>The only thing that matters is temperature

But that's not entirely true. You know how there are established tables for canning different foods? You look up the cooking time and temperature depending on what foods your canning and what size the jars or cans are. Those tables are based on calculations assuming the contents of the cooker is 100% steam. Air has a much lower energy content than steam does, even at the same temperature, which is why its important to vent the cooker before you begin your timer. If you skipped this step then your food will probably fine--after all, those canning tables have a large factor of safety built in--but given the potential consequences for a fuckup I will continue to follow the directions and ensure the cooker will be properly vented before I start the timer on canning. And I have yet to find an electric version which does this.

Check out the catalog from "All American", a well-known maker of pressure canners. They have an electric version which they market as an autoclave for medical use. Their literature makes it very clear that it is NOT to be used for canning purposes because it lacks that feature.
>>
>>9209871
this, I've canned apple butter every fall on a stove for years, and my jars stay good unrefrigerated for more than six months easily
>>
>>9209870
>pressure canning high acid food
Stop pretending to be an authority on a subject you obviously don't have much knowledge in
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.