[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have pork shoulder that's been sitting in my freezer for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: buttz.jpg (435KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
buttz.jpg
435KB, 1920x1080px
I have pork shoulder that's been sitting in my freezer for a little more than half a year.
It's sell by date was 1/5/17.

Would I be a complete fucking idiot to cook and eat this thing? I froze it immediately after I got it IIRC.
>>
>>9202213
It may be a little freezer burned but it won't kill you.
>>
>>9202213
Nah, stuff lasts longer in the freezer. That sell-by date was most likely counting on the meat being kept in the refrigerator and not the freezer. I'd thaw that in the fridge overnight and make some pulled pork. I can link you some recipes and give you some tips if you want.
>>
>>9202220
>>9202221
I'm fine with the worst thing being some freezer burn, thanks anons. I was actually going to make some pull pork with this thing, feel free to send over some recipies/tips!
>>
Might just be freezer burnt, would only effect flavor and not any health issues.

There's always thawing it out and giving it a good smell test though.
>>
>>9202225
I always do mine in a Carolina style, but in a slow cooker because I live in an apartment and I don't have access to a grill or smoker. I developed my recipe based on this one: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/north-carolina-pulled-pork-242247

Give the meat a generous dry rub consisting of kosher salt, black pepper, brown sugar, chili powder, ancho chili powder(helps with the lack of smoking in this method), paprika(I don't bother with doing both hot and sweet, you can use whatever kind you want), celery seed, and mustard powder. Wrap it up tight in plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator at least 3 hours, preferably 8 like Epicurious said to. I deviate a lot from the recipe here by just broiling the meat in the over to develop a crust. I do about 30 minutes on each side. Set aside the meat to rest, and get your slow cooker ready by slicing some apples and sweet onions, then tossing them in with about a cup or so of apple cider vinegar, a heavy dash of liquid smoke, and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Add the pork and the drippings from the broiling pan, then cook on low for 8 hours. Shred that shit in the slow cooker with a fork and knife, serve hot on toasted hamburger buns topped with slaw and vinegar sauce.

The recipe for said sauce is pretty simple. 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon parsley flakes, and 1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce. Combine it all in a bottle, shake it up until the sugar and salt is dissolved, and let it sit in the fridge for a day.
>>
>>9202213
If it's below freezing the whole time, you can eat that shit a decade from now and it'll be fine. Like others have said, it might be a bit freezer burnt.
>>
Is it the same for pork belly? I was given a massive slab of it, uncured. It's been frozen for well over a year. Not really sure what to do with it.
>>
>>9202213
You'll know if it's bad by the smell once you put it under running water and rinse off all liquid. If it has a bad smell after it has been thoroughly washed in water, it's bad.
>>
this is somewhat related.
anyone got nice recipes for like "weird" cuts of meat, cheek,tail,shoulder,shank and that sort of thing
>>
>>9202465
This video http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/north-carolina-pulled-pork-242247 has a really interesting take on steak and kidney pie/pudding, but using oxtail instead of steak. That's offal and a "weird" cut in one dish. Also it's just a really fucking good video about mastering beef.
>>
>>9202533
thanks bro
>>
>>9202533
Ah wait, I totally forgot to actually copy the URL and just reposted that epicurious link about the pulled pork. Here's the actual ink https://youtu.be/03h5T_tiyx0?t=13m
>>
>>9202650
>that "chili con carne" recipe
wew
>>
>>9202213
Nah man you're good if it's been frozen. I only ever stock my freezers with meat twice a year, and still have some stuff from the year before in when I do so. Freezers are OP
>>
>>9202225
I put a dry rub of smoked paprika, brown sugar, cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder on the pork and leave it for a night or two in the fridge (you can cook it straight away if you want it the spices just wont go as deep though) and then I put it on a grate thing on top of a roasting pan with a bunch of water in the bottom to keep it moist and I put it in the oven at 130-140 Celsius for about 7 or so hours, sometimes I do an injection marinade too right before I put it in the oven which has apple juice, worcestshire sauce, paprika, brown sugar, salt and some vinegar.
>>
>>9202374
420* oven

braise it
>>
>>9202221
>pulled pork
Teach me sensei
>>
>>9205514
Did you check the catalog? There's already a knife thread
>>
>>9202213
>in my freezer

Deep freeze or a "frost free" refrigerator freezer? The "frost free" thing means your food partially thaws with each cycle, it doesn't exactly remain totally frozen. Buy a deep freeze, a chest freezer.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.