[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A friend of mine was arguing that 'beer brewing has little

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: OOOH OOH AH.jpg (7KB, 308x311px) Image search: [Google]
OOOH OOH AH.jpg
7KB, 308x311px
A friend of mine was arguing that 'beer brewing has little to no technique, it's just getting the right ingredients and following the right steps. It has no complexity compared to cooking'

I know about the potential complexities of having a beer (colour, carbonation, etc.), but I didn't have the necessary information to refute him RE: techniques without making assumptions.

What are the complexities of technique involved in brewing a quality beer?
>>
>>9196318
There's no depth to cooking either. That's why it doesn't pay well.
>>
>>9196319

this is true only up to the point where you're good enough to get into cooking for entertainment (i.e., fine dining).

people don't go to a nice restaurant because they're hungry; they want to be entertained. it's the same as musician or dancer or any kind of performance art.

that shit pays well.. i make more as a high school dropout with no education than most people i know who went to college.
>>
UMA
>>
>>9196318
Why didn't you just repeat his argument back to him? Beer brewing IS cooking plus fermentation.

There are plenty of complexities to brewing that could make or break your beer. Like: duration of primary fermentation, amount of priming sugar, total attenuation, etc.
>>
>>9196318
You're friend is under the assumption that cooking has depth.

Both are applying heat to ingredients and adding more ingredients at different times to achieve a certain flavor.
>>
Professional beer brewing where consistency is the goal uses a great deal of science. Adjusting the chemistry of the water, for example is critical to achieving certain profiles. It becomes important for the mashing process as well to maximize utilization, and thus, profit. Reusing yeast cultures requires laboratory precision and sterilization to wash and grow the yeast for another batch. Rigid temperature control during all phases of the brewing is extremely important.

Having pointed out a few of the scientific elements to brewing, there is also a great deal of artistry to come up with the different combinations of grains and hops to create an ideal version of a particular style.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.