[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any thoughts on using bacon in chili? I'm trying a new chili

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: frying_bacon.jpg (529KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
frying_bacon.jpg
529KB, 1600x1200px
Any thoughts on using bacon in chili? I'm trying a new chili verde recipe this weekend and it calls for bacon, but when I've used bacon in stews previously it usually turns mushy. The bacon obviously will not be going in raw.
>>
>>9195357
>going in raw
Heh.
>>
>>9195357
It's really for the delicious baconfat
>>
>>9195357
it will make your chili greasy as all fuck
>>
>>9195357
Sounds like a lousy recipe, you were right to be cautious.

I always use pork. The pork fat is pretty high in a recipe that uses a shoulder, and that's flavor. I wouldn't that much cured smoke or sugar in my green chili...the flavors should be cleaner and more herbal.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pork-chile-verde-with-red-chile-salsa-363730

If you want to make it more traditional but flavorful, get some pozole style can of hominy in there.
>>
I do it the majority of time. It doesn't make your chili greasy as all fuck, it makes it taste good.

It won't stay crispy. Just cut it into really small pieces after you render it in the pan (like when your onions and garlic are cooking in that glorious bacon fat you just produced) and toss it in after your brown your meat.
>>
>>9195357
There really isn't a need for it. But chili is one of those dishes that vary from person to person like nonna's Sunday gravy
>>
>>9195397
The bacon will be in addition to the butt, bacon content will be minimal
>>
>>9195398
I'm not looking for crispy, I just want it to have a little bite to it. I was thinking hard fried larger chunks
>>
>>9195420
Why not just use diced chuck steak then for bite?
>>
File: ok.png (51KB, 344x517px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
51KB, 344x517px
>>9195357
Why not just add it back at the end as a topping?
>>
>>9195414
Minimal is pretty heavy handed when it comes to bacon in soups. I use exactly half a slice of bacon when I am making a pot of potato or corn chowder and it's plenty to flavor the pot. People use one cube of fat back in a big ol' pot of beans.

I really don't think cured meat belongs in chili verde. It doesn't fit the flavor profile. It's like finding a recipe for chili that has thyme, cinnamon, shallots, bay leaves...like this monstrosity from Gordon Ramsey. You might think, oh, he's a popular chef, but you'd also make the worst chili of your life, because it's not chili. Bad recipes exist.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/84600/gordons-chilli
>>
>>9195461
but that's not Gordon Ramsay, it's just some nigga named Gordon who sucks dick at making chili
>>
>>9195357
The oils in chili soak up the spice and flavor of the dish. That said, too much oil can spread out the flavor too much or build up on the top in too substantial a portion to mix back into the stew after a long simmer. So measure the oil. Also >>9195437
except you could probably mix it back in afterwards. Aside this I hope the recipe includes something of a base building process using an acidic substance to remove the char from the pan giving it depth. If not just add a tbsp of vinegar at some point after adding the liquid before lowering the heat.
One last thing, if you want to use the properties of a roux blend chips into your spice blend in a processor. This will build the base for an emulsion at the same time as constituting the spice into the fat
>>
Mushy? Are you just leaving the bacon in there the whole time? You should render it, remove it while leaving the fat for use, and then add it back later.
>>
>>9195420
it WILL get mushy. just save it as a condiment to sprinkle on top of the sourcream and chives when you serve it
>>
>>9195357
I've seen lots of chilis that use bacon bits as a garnish but never any that use it as constituent. Are you sure that recipe says you're supposed to add it to the pot while it's cooking?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.