[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here ever eat halloumi? I'm thinking of getting some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

anyone here ever eat halloumi? I'm thinking of getting some over the weekend to see what it's like
>>
I fried mine with lemon olive oil, then added basil & oregano. Was p. tasty IIRC
>>
Tried it once as a part of a kebab stick. It was pretty good, nice and firm so it held up to grilling, but very mild flavor.
>>
>>9191397
Cheese designed to be grilled and/or fried? How the fuck could you go wrong? Love the stuff. Keep in mind it is a massive blast of salt and fat, and plan the rest of your meal accordingly.
>>
>>9191408
>>9191426
>>9191438

What does it taste/feel like? I kind of expect a supermarket pork chop that tastes like feta which doesn't sound like my thing but is too interesting to not try
>>
>>9191466
Imagine a much saltier, drier low moisture mozzarella or string cheese and it's in that vein. Pretty much the same stuff as queso de freir.
>>
>>9191466
It's very low moisture, squeaky like a cheese curd. Salty, too. Reminds me of something like paneer or mozzarella.
>>
It's nice hot, but infinitely better when it's literally right out of the pan or off the bbq or whatever. Always eat a piece straight from the heat before you serve the rest.

Mostly I just do something like >>9191408 though, or on a stick.

My local chippie does deep fried battered halloumi. Unfortunately, the _good_ but slightly less local place hasn't discovered that you can deep fry cheese, so I have to go to the shit place that prides itself on awful gluten free batter and can't fucking cook if I want halloumi & chips. I mean, it's still good, they can't fuck it up that bad, but it would be so much better...
>>
good with greek salad (chop up a cucumber and tomato w olive oil and black pepper)
>>
Its fucking delicious. On a gym day I will eat a Halloumi sandwich with aioli and herbs in the morning, ultimate gym fuel.

Also, you can bake it in a loose foil wrapping as you would a fish for excellent results.
>>
it's so salty but so fucking good
>>
>>9191397

I eat halloumi all the time because it's super cheap where I live. I'd recommend slicing then pouring over boiling water to take away some of the salt, then pat dry with paper towels.
>>
One time I made some with a balsamic reduction and it tasted exactly like french toast
>>
>>9191397

I love it. Great flavor, this restaurant near me makes tacos with them as the meat substitute and they are delicious.
>>
>>9194840
my mother always used to take it out of its brine and soak it in a bowl of water for a couple of minutes before frying it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.