[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I just cured and smoked pork belly for bacon and it turned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (176KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 1200x794px
Guys, I just cured and smoked pork belly for bacon and it turned out way too fucking salty. What did I do wrong?
I had it dry curing in the fridge in big hotel pans where I coated the belly in my cure of maple sugar and kosher salt while draining the juices from the pan every morning. I smoked it with hickory and applewood.
It tastes like pure salt.

Does anyone on here know any good curing techniques for pork?
>>
File: d6f.jpg (18KB, 403x389px) Image search: [Google]
d6f.jpg
18KB, 403x389px
>kosher salt
>on pork
>>
>>9189687

That's how you make cured pork belly though?

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016213-home-cured-pork-belly

>>9189679

I think you used too much kosher salt. Did you use curing salt as well?
>>
>>9189679
Did you wash it afterward? Tbh it might not be a total fuck up.
>>
>>9189698
Pork is inherently non-kosher, dumbass.
>>
>>9189702

What does that have to do with anything? We use kosher salt for curing because the shape of the crystals sticks to the meat better than other kinds of salt. Religion has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>9189702
It's not like any Jews are eating it.
Also Op, add less salt next time
>>
>>9189710
A lot of recipes onlinecalled for 2/3 salt 1/3 sugar but I went half and half
>>9189698
I used a couple spoonfuls of some Demerara style curing salt.
>>
This website is what I use. You plug in your weight in grams and whether the skin is on or off and it calcs the salt, sugar and nitrite amounts for you. With a good rinse after curing it's never been over salty and I've used it more than 15 times. It works for both belly and back bacon.

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/
>>
File: torment1.jpg (2MB, 1600x1216px) Image search: [Google]
torment1.jpg
2MB, 1600x1216px
>>9189710
My wife and her extended family are full-on Jewish. Aside from them being annoying, they don't give two shits about pork rules. I think it's become less and less of a thing in the Jewish community lately.

She and her younger brother also both have tattoos, which in the eyes of Jews is even worse than eating pork.

tl;dr Jews don't give a fuck anymore.
>>
>>9189679
It's not wasted, OP.

Cured country ham is salty as fuck too, but you soak it in cold water before you eat it, and it draws out the excess salt.

Cut off your bacon slices, give them a soak in cold water for half an hour, then cook them up. It they're still too salty, let em' soak longer next time. If they lose all the salt, shorten the soak time. Eventually, you'll get the perfect soak time that takes out the exact amount of salt you want.
>>
>>9189679
You didn't use too much salt, you let it cure too long. Try 24-48 hours less. You could always cut off a piece and cook it to check.
>>
>>9189679
Sounds like you used too much salt. Don't overthink this.
>>
>>9189918
this.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.