[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for /ck/ How do you feel about the phrase "A chef

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: SwordFightGIF.gif (1MB, 245x229px) Image search: [Google]
SwordFightGIF.gif
1MB, 245x229px
Question for /ck/
How do you feel about the phrase "A chef is only as good as his knife" ?
>>
I feel like it was coined by someone who spent too much on a meme knife
>>
>>9172433
Only a bad carpenter blames his tools.
>>
Dumb. I have a benchmade and only just learned how to make a basic roux
>>
File: index.jpg (3KB, 236x213px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
3KB, 236x213px
R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D O.P.I.N.I.O.N

My mother and my grandmother chop everything with an Openel Flick knife. Wouldn't dare say they don't know how to cook.

Actually from my observations MOST old ladies the world over use this method.
>>
>>9172433
it's a really dumb phrase, but people who use blunt knifes are just as dumb
>>9172479
opinels are surprisingly sharp and good at cutting out of the box, great price to quality ratio
need to get myself a carbon steel version since I can't be arsed to resharpen my inox all the time
>>
>>9172433
I feel that it should rather be "a prep cook is only as good as his knife" because they're the ones actually chopping everything. A chef is only as good as his palette.
>>
>>9172525
palate*
>>
>>9172433
Not really true, but it is fuggin important to know how to make your cuts and to have a sharp goddamn knife.
>>
I think chefs knives are retarded, an ulu or a round hatchet works better for everything, you can fillet delicately or chop through bone with the same knife
>>
What if the chef doesnt beleive in knives and doesn't own one though?
>>
>>9172433

To a bad dancer even his balls get in the way.
>>
File: 1480331954217.gif (3MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1480331954217.gif
3MB, 200x150px
>>9172433
>studying the blade at the Chinese buffet
>>
>>9172433
seem to have been coined by a bad chef who blamed his knife
or knife company trying to sell high grade chef knife to people who cook mac & cheese and frozen pizza
>>
>>9172433
gearfagging plain and simple. And in a discipline like cooking, I'd say the gear that matters more is the pan but that too has minimal returns after you cross the $100 mark.

I'd say spending about $200 on knife, cutting board, pots and pans plus say another 100 on specialy items like pressure cookers, mandolines etc will have you at the point where you can't say your tools are holding you back for a very long time. After that you can drop a few more hundreds on sous vide machines, stand mixers, propane torches and the likes to refine your autism.

Don't spend too much on gear, instead spend on ingredients. If you still have disposable income that you want to spend spend on cutlery and plates (a lot of people on here hate $150 knives and ikea plates at best). If it's not about money but just about autism maintain a kitchen garden.

I'd only advise going for copperware and expensive knives if money is literally not a concern and you want the best regardless of price.
>>
>>9172465
It's "a bad carpenter blames his tools." Good carpenters complain about their tools too but only when there's a problem with them.
>>
That's probably from a time where a good knife meant "something better than a piece of bark chewed off from the only tree the family owns". Nowadays a $1 knife is good enough for everything.
>>
>>9175153
>Don't spend too much on gear, instead spend on ingredients.
/thread
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.