[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I avoid creating a shell crust when making fried chicken?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: fried-chicken.jpg (47KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fried-chicken.jpg
47KB, 480x360px
How do I avoid creating a shell crust when making fried chicken? I've noticed, unlike fast food, when I fry chicken the coating will become much like a shell and not stick to the chicken (it usually falls out in a couple of bites). Could the trick be to try at lower temperatures (160°C - 300–325°F) or to let the chicken sit in the flour to absorb the coating before frying?

I wish to unlock the secrets of perfect fried chicken.
>>
>>9164454
go easy on the batter. and make sure your chicken is DRY before you coat it. coat should be : dry chicken -> flour + spices -> light egg dip -> panko. don't double dip
>>
File: chicken.jpg (666KB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
666KB, 4160x2340px
double dip. Dry chicken -> seasoned flour -> buttermilk/sour cream -> season flour let it set in a rack for 10 while your oil heats. Fry white meat at 320F and dark meat at 140. Should take about 12 minutes if you don't use cold chicken.
>>
>>9164469
>>9164490

So is the idea of marinating in buttermilk prior going to give my that shell rather than a coating that sticks?
>>
>>9164532
If you marinated long enough you should be able to dry the chicken and still have that buttermilk taste.
>>
>>9164532

Buttermilk is used because traditionally you would use a farmyard chicken for this dish, not one from a factory farm. Wild or free ranging chickens, especially older ones, had a much stronger flavor and could be tough. The buttermilk would remove some of that gamey taste and would help tenderize the meat. That's how it originated.

Today the only reason to do that is if you like the taste of it. It's a classic step in making fried chicken, but it has nothing to do with a shell vs. a coating that sticks.

If you want to avoid a shell, then you need to make sure the chicken is DRY like the first reply stated. And don't double-dip or create a thick batter. A thick batter will hold a shell shape. A thinner breading will be able to flex so it can remain stuck to the chicken while it cooks.
>>
>>9164575

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to try the: chicken > flour > eggwash > flour > rest for 10 mins > fry for time needed.
>>
>>9164454
You are apparently using an egg dip before the first dip in flour. Flour will stick to the egg wash and vice versa. The egg was will not stick to chicken. As other anons have noted, the proper procedure is flour > egg dig > flour.
One step they have not mentioned is that after the first dip in flour you absolutely must shake off the excess flour. Flour sticks to chicken and egg but not flour. The first dip in flour is to give a dry coating to which the egg dig can adhere.

I like a crisp skin with a thinner breading than most people. I brine my chicken in a heavily seasoned brine, remove them from the brine, and put them in a ziptop bag full of seasoned flour. I let the chicken sit in there for a couple of minutes as the residual moisture forms a bit of a batter. I shake off the excess flour and put it straight into the fryer.
>>
>>9164878
come back with pics
>>
throw it in the fridge for 30 minutes after coating and before frying
>>
>>9164454
use cornstarch in your flour mixture and double dip them for extra coating
>>
>>9165184

Tried the method out, didn't work. Flour breading still just formed a loose shell around the breast which would fall into pieces when eating. No idea how to make it stick at this point. My only theory now is the chicken breast might have been too big, or I was frying too hot (170c).

Will try leaving it for 30 mins or so next time and frying at a lower heat.
>>
>>9165548
damn, gl bro
>>
>>9165548
go 160/165, pat it dry and go: buttermilk into flour and dunk it.
>>
>>9164469
>>9164490
>don't double dip
>double dip
Fight fuckers, prove to us who is in the right.
>>
just a touch of gelatin and corn syrup will do it
>>
>>9164469
>don't double dip

>>9164490
>double dip
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.