[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Grow up in Socal eating spicy Mexican food >Live in SF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: serrano-chili.jpg (14KB, 300x277px) Image search: [Google]
serrano-chili.jpg
14KB, 300x277px
>Grow up in Socal eating spicy Mexican food
>Live in SF
>Buy Serrano peppers from a few local markets
>Not spicy at all

I thought my tolerance to spicy food was increasing or something. But I visited home recently, and realized the peppers in SF are bland as fuck.

How am I supposed to cook with this shit?
How is this possible?
Why?

I feel like I'm being ripped off. Why bother selling a hot variety of chili, if you're going to make it bland as fuck. I swear the Habaneros here are on par with normal Serranos.

Is this some stupid ploy to make white people feel like they're "cultured" and "diverse" and can stomach ethnic food? I swear, it's probably the same group of fucks that order the "spicy" option at restaurants, then bitch that it's too spicy. Seriously fuck those people, they're the reason restaurant food is bland.
>>
>>9153969
Not enough lead in the soil.
>>
>>9153969
serranos are literally the first step over bell peppers in terms of spicy, retard. poblanos are right in that same ballpark.
>>
>>9153969
Yeah I am from socal living in norcal now and Mexican food and ingredients are not as good as they are in socal.
Also fuck hella.
>>
>>9153969

Serranos don't have much more heat than a good jalapeno.

Just stick with the habanero's, anon.
>>
>>9153969
It may have been the store.
In Utah we have a store called Maceys that carries what appears to be a great selection of peppers, but for whatever reason there is zero spice.
I mean, I could eat a handful of habenaros no problem.
If I go to another store and get their habenaros I would fucking die if I tried to eat one.
Shop around if you haven't already, mexibro.
And thank you and your wonderful people for bringing pic related over to the US.

And fuck anybody that puts hominy in their menudo. They shot be shot in the street like the wild dogs they are
>>
File: th (2).jpg (27KB, 212x300px) Image search: [Google]
th (2).jpg
27KB, 212x300px
>>9153987
>Also fuck hella
Yes, pls.
>>
inb4 that one retard that claims that spicy food can't have flavor
>>
>>9153987
>living in norcal now

Just find some weed growers that grow peppers too and you'll probably be getting the best peppers you'd ever get.
>>
File: castillo.jpg (104KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
castillo.jpg
104KB, 500x355px
>>9153969
>>Buy Serrano peppers
>>Not spicy at all
You don't say...
>>
>>9154018
Literally no spice, like a bell pepper. They're way less spicy than normal Serranos.

The only peppers I can seem to find here that even register as spicy with my palette are the Habeneros, but they're small and expensive. Even then, they're not spicy. Like I can straight up eat one raw (which I can't normally tolerate).
>>
>>9153969
Insert hackey joke here about the San Francisco natives caring greatly about the sensation of things both entering AND exiting their buttholes and that's why they like their peppers bland
>>
>>9154007
I'll look into that thanks.
>>
>>9153969
Go look a a different store for peppers. The heat level of chilies is largely determined by their growing conditions- the hotter the weather is, the hotter the chilies are. If the peppers you're getting are greenhouse grown or grown somewhere (comparatively) temperate, they'll be less hot. A different store in the area might source their peppers from somewhere else, so they could be hotter. Shop around.
>>
>>9153978
Texan pepper farmer here. You are WAY off. Serrano is the step between Jalapeno and Habanero.
>>
>>9154925
So is it true if you grow hot peppers and sweet in the same area, they cross pollinate and the hot turn out mild?
>>
Just buy dried chilies online. Problem solved
>>
>>9155477
I used to think that, but I did some research and apparently it's the next generation that will be affected if you save the seeds.
>>
>>9154817
fuck off with your liberal facts, this is an opinion thread
>>
>>9153969
Peppers get hotter when conditions are shittier. USA peppers get watered so they are less hot. I find this is particularly the case with stuff from Whole Foods
>>
>>9153969
It's San Francisco. Your chillies have turned gay.
>>
>>9153969
>How is this possible?
Growing conditions can drastically change the result of the fruit. Wine people might sound pretentious when talking about terroir and various vintages, but they're on to something. You can grow the same kind of grape in different places and get different results. But wine is the product of thousands (often millions) of individual fruits. A hot pepper is an individual, so it has much greater variability.

I live on the East Coast. The peppers I get come from a variety of sources: local, West Coast, Mexico... There's no uniformity. I've had serranos as mild as bell peppers and poblanos that were hotter than your average serrano. Jalapenos vary from mildly spicy to powerhouse depending on the individual pepper.

To deal with this lack of standardization I judge each pepper on an individual basis. If you have a good nose you can usually tell how hot a pepper is as soon as you cut it. Failing that let taste be your guide.
>>
>>9154925
what varieties do you grow. im staring with a bunch of pepper seeds I brought from my grandparents ranch in Mexico.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.