[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /ck/ give much credence to Yelp reviews? Do you use them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: url-4.jpg (55KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
url-4.jpg
55KB, 660x371px
Does /ck/ give much credence to Yelp reviews? Do you use them before going to a restaurant?
>>
I typically only read one star reviews for laughs, as it's usually something ridiculous that's upset them.
>>
Only fags use it.
>>
I usually just glance at the shitty pictures to see if the food looks worth the price.
>>
>>9133058
No buts its nice to browse through restaurants when I'm not sure where to go, plus they usually have menus and their hours posted.
>>
File: The Game.jpg (287KB, 1100x567px) Image search: [Google]
The Game.jpg
287KB, 1100x567px
>>9133058
People only use it when they have a bad experience. Which could be server related or food related or ambiance related...only mid-management people give good yelp reviews to secure there jobs which is both pathetic and stupid.
>>
>>9133058
Yelp is literally only good for doublechecking meu prices or pictures of the menu. All the reviews are meaningless and can almost always be broken down into:

>1 star
-Something my order was wrong and I am retarded for not reading it
-I want free shit in some crap attempt at doing so
-I was a rude customer and go shit service
-I had no idea what I was ordering and didn't like it

>2-4 star ratings
-I'm writing this because my food was probably okay and it was a completely normal expirence but I am just writing it because people think my reviews matter

>5 star
-I like X here and always get X item so my review is more about a dish I get rather than anything useful about the establishment
>>
>>9133058
Yelp reviews are really only going to be useful to you if you have a lot in common with the average Yelper. In my town they seem to be mostly single Asian American women looking for cute, trendy places. I've got nothing in common with that, so Yelp is useless to me.
>>
>>9133058
I use it for everything but the reviews. Hours, location, website, etc. The photos are helpful in case you want to see the menu, prices and general ambiance before going in. The stars aren't too accurate but as long as it has more than 2, then it should be good (which is a majority of them). The number of stars is unimportant as it really needs to have a large sample size to merit any accuracy. The reviews themselves are terrible for the most part.

People write up 1 star reviews for ridiculous things. It's hilarious when people think they can arrive late to their own reservation or even change their reservation at the last second (time and/or party size), then they complain about having to wait over an hour for a rather large request.
>>
Yelp has the worst search function ever
>hmm wonder if there are any cool local places to get a cool burger
>mcdonalds, wendy's, burger king show up
>Okay lemme adjust the price thing to 2 or 3 dollar signs
>just more mcdonalds show up
>somehow now applebees is as well

EVERY
FUCKING
TIME
>>
>>9133202
What town is this if you don't mind my asking
>>
>>9133202
>single Asian American women
>nothing in common

Maybe try to straighten out your priorities and meet some of them at the places they are reviewing? I can think of myriad other classifications of women that are a far worse choice.
>>
I know for a fact that a significant portion of Yelp reviews are fake and that many people make money providing businesses with fake Yelp reviews.
>>
>>9133476
NYC
>>9133571
Already married to a chick who is a great match. We go on adventures and shit. No need for a side girl.

My point was that the kind of cute, trendy values Yelp seems to have here don't really line up with mine. I really only care about the food, and am happy to trade ambiance for a lower check. Also I expect neither friendliness nor deference from servers, just attentiveness and prompt food delivery. And I don't really care where the cool kids are eating because anyone with half a brain can find better food than that for cheaper unless you're already at the level where pro critics have reviewed you positively. And in that case I'd trust the Times, eater.com, or even the New Yorker over Yelp.
>>
yelp is basically low-level extortion. If local businesses don't pay them, then magically only the most negative reviews show up top.
>>
Nah, but I think that's partially informed by my time working in restaurants.

People aren't always wrong, but they can be often uninformed or just not know the whole story behind why their food is the way it is.

Whether it's bad or not is another thing. But I'd like to give a venue the benefit of the doubt and find out for myself.
>>
If it's a random neighborhood place, sure. For a quick sandwich I don't bother but if I need a sit down meal I'll look for a minute. I only look at the hidden/not currently recommended reviews because those are the ones the restaurant owner pays to hide. Google reviews are a bit less prone to spam, at least in my area.

Obviously if they've got a star, or they were written up by Pete Wells or something, I'll give the michelin judges or Pete Wells more credence than some random idiot with an axe to grind.
>>
>>9133058
I don't trust online reviews bc 99% of them are made by ppl with shit palette and taste who think anything above dog food is a 5star meal
>>
I read them to confirm my own opinions. I don't use them to choose whether or not to eat somewhere.
Also, this...
>>9133078
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.