[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been getting into cooking stir fries. How much better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: wok2.jpg (26KB, 496x265px) Image search: [Google]
wok2.jpg
26KB, 496x265px
I've been getting into cooking stir fries. How much better is a wok than a frying pan?

If a wok is a lot better, does /k/ have any suggestions on which I should buy?
>>
Depends on the type of stove you have. There is no point in using one on anything other than gas, even then, you have to jury rig your gas top to get the heat you need for wok-hei
>>
>>9121230
I've got electric burners (I live in an apartment so this will not be changing). Looks like I won't be getting a wok any time soon.

Thanks /ck/!
>>
>>9121218
You shouldn't fry :(
>>
>>9121237

There's an episode of Good Eats where Alton shows you how to make your own outdoor wok heating element using a propane torch.
>>
You should only boil your stir fries. Never fry.
>>
>>9121230
not OP but I have a gas stove, how can I rig it to use a wok?
>>
>>9121218
Steel works well. Aluminum and iron heat too evenly, and defeat the purpose of focusing the heat to the center.

Also, you can make it work on an electric range. You keep it on high, and move it off and on the burner to control the heat. It's more work, but you can do it.
>>
>>9121218
Wok should be high carbon steel so it can season like cast iron. It should not have any permanently attached wood or plastic bits that can't go in an oven, in case you ever want to season it that way.
>>
>>9121218
>How much better is a wok than a frying pan?

It's not, if you don't have the heat to drive it, which most home ovens don't.

If you want a wok, get a carbon steel wok with a handle, and cook outside using a propane turkey fryer to drive the heat. You can make stir as good as any restaurant that way, with practice and the right ingredients.

Using a wok indoors without the right heat source is no different than using a big frying pan.
>>
>>9121289
You can get a metal ring/cone thing to channel the flames up to the base of the wok to get that direct heat that goes up the sides.
>>
>>9121470
What about these gas hobs with a dedicated wok ring, are they any good or just another kitchen gimmick?
>>
>>9121218
>How much better is a wok than a frying pan?

A Wok will give you A+ results for dishes that require a Wok.....a frying pan will give you A- results.....

so decide if it is worth it for you....
>>
>>9121218
>does /k/ have any suggestions on which I should buy?
I don't know, ask /k/.
>>
>>9121238
Why the hell not?
>>
>>9121218

If you don't have access to a high-ish powered stove with over 20k BTU, then you're not going to get the benefits.

One of the main benefits of using a carbon steel wok is the searing and smoke action. It creates the unique flavor commonly recognized with Chinese food.

What you can do is pre-cook/blanch your vegetables in water until 80 percent done. Cook your meats in a shallow oil bath (after coating with soy sauce, wine, cornstarch etc) until almost done.

Then get your wok super hot over your stove (as hot as it'll get on an underpowered stove), then when its smoking add the oil, throw in the aromatics and stir for a second or two, then add the meat and vegetables and stir fry for 30 second so it can get a bit of smoke on it, add in your sauce and cornstarch slurry and done. (probably preheat sauce/broth ahead of time so it doesn't cool down the wok but keep the slurry cold. Thicken and done.
>>
Also when I say add in the oil to the wok, just a few tablespoons. (you want to cook the meat in oil bath (larger amount of oil) in another small non-stock pot until almost done (chicken longer than beef obviously). Although chicken can be par simmer/boiled in the same water as the vegetables after (velveting/marinating) for pretty much the same result as using the oil during the first step, unlike beef which I don't think tastes as good using water.
>>
If you've got counter space, invest in a good wok and a decent-to-high powered portable gas stove. Also, make sure your wok stays seasoned.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.