[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im trying to put together a medieval type menu. Like appetisers,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: food15medieval.original.jpg (104KB, 1024x813px) Image search: [Google]
food15medieval.original.jpg
104KB, 1024x813px
Im trying to put together a medieval type menu. Like appetisers, main dish, desert, drinks. Can /ck/ help? I think im gonna use mead and spiced wine as the drinks and for the main dish i think ill do something with rabbits. Help? Ideas? Im cooking for the whole family btw. And the food doesnt have to be exacly medieval, just with the medieval aestetics
>>
>>9104406
>aestetics
>>
>>9104406
Sure. And kind of meat cooked on-the-bone would be good. Game especially, if you have access to that. Something like a leg-of-lamb, roasted poultry, etc. Bonus points if you can spit-roast it rather than doing it in the oven.

Mead and spiced wine are good ideas. Beer wouldn't be bad either.

Appetizers: get a big serving plate and stick a whole loaf of country-style or other rustic bread on it. Big chunks of cheese. Sausage. Preserves. A big old-school looking knife for people to serve themselves.

Dessert? Some kind of fruit pie or tart.
>>
>>9104406
Rich medieval people who could afford to eat meat regularly would season it with exotic spices like cloves and nutmeg, and also fruit. Mustard is a pretty classic Old Europe spice too.
>>
>>9104434
Not bad. I think im gonna use some of the stuff you said. As for the meat, should a whole lamb be enough for 12 people? If i used whole rabbits, how many rabbits do i need for 12 people? And for the sides on the main dish i tough i could serve grilled leak, honey garlic covered baked potatoes and cabbage salad
>>
>>9104461
There's really not that much meat on a rabbit. I'd say one rabbit per 2 adults assuming the rabbits aren't enormous and you're not serving much else with your "main course".

If you'll be serving some other stuff on the side or if the rabbits are really big then you can obviously cook fewer of them.

If you want to cook a leg of lamb then just ask the butcher what size they'd recommend. They will usually have them in different weights so you can choose one that would be appropriate.

A classic (and very medieval style) presentation would be to serve your roast rabbits (or whatever) on a big platter with roasted vegetables and fruits around them.

Is goose an option for you? A classic recipe would be to roast a goose that is stuffed/surrounded by apples and prunes. Roast potatoes in the fat rendered out from the goose.

Gravy is a must-have side; make it from drippings of the meat you cook, stock, and either white wine or mead.
>>
>>9104480
Goose isnt a bad idea as well
>>
>>9104461
I thought people were of the impression that potatoes were poisonous back in the middle ages, and had to be tricked into eating them. Does that story sound familiar to anyone? If it's true, maybe don't go for a potato side dish. Or trick your guests into eating potato. Idk.
On a side note, the medieval style show at the Excalibur in Las Vegas has roasted Cornish game hens. Everything was eaten with your hands. I can't remember what else was served. It was about 20 years ago.
>>
>>9104538
That's tomatoes, not potatoes AFIK.

Though it's also irrelevant. OP said that this is simply medieval themed, it doesn't have to be literally accurate.
>>
Roasted goose, rabbit with onion in preassure cooker (just to save time), picked eggs, some smoked meats, mustard, horseraddish...side dishes usually were boiled carrots, parsley roots, celeriac, parsnips, turnips...
>>
The Byzantines considered diluted vinegar to be a refreshing summer drink.

>>9104575
Neither were available in Europe prior to the Columbian exchange.
>>
File: 2monks1.jpg (190KB, 758x541px) Image search: [Google]
2monks1.jpg
190KB, 758x541px
>>9104406
You should serve one single peacock
>>
>>9104406
big bowl of pottage for your peasant family to eat

cook those veggies slow and low so even your toothless 40 year old mother can eat them!
>>
File: 2monks5.jpg (179KB, 640x594px) Image search: [Google]
2monks5.jpg
179KB, 640x594px
>>9104406
Are you planning on having a cup of horror?
>>
Here you go OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eYLp7yWPnU
>>
File: Hugh-Jackman.jpg (91KB, 652x434px) Image search: [Google]
Hugh-Jackman.jpg
91KB, 652x434px
>>9104406
>just with the medieval aestetics
>>
>>9104406
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eYLp7yWPnU
>>
You should read the game of thrones cookbook, the primary research in it is actually quite good and it presents original recipes alongside modern analogues.
>>
>>9104538
Potatoes just plain didn't exist in Europe until early colonization of the Americas brought them back.
Avoid anything on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_Exchange .

As for the rest, think heavily-spiced towards sweet and sour with simple spices, lots of offal and game, and little oven cooking for anything but bread.

Also consider "plating" on bread bowls/thick slices.
>>
>>9104406
There are plenty of medieval cookbooks translated and transcribed online, just google for it. Ale or wine are good options, mead might not go well with the food imo. Rabbit wouldn't be bad but it is small. If you are going with it, roast it with a rich stuffing. Use lots of offal, "sweet" spices (think cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, anise), raisins, liqueur, and your other typical stuffing things. Rich (and simple) sauces are a must for any roast meat. Appetizers of bread or simple pickled vegetables would be good, maybe some fresh fruit or a simple salad of greens, cabbage, onion, carrot, and so on. You could do an all herb salad based around parsley, with lots of mint, tarragon, basil, edible flowers like rose, and add some lemon and a bit of oil. For dessert, tarts are ubiquitous, custards, rice pudding, fruit poached in wine, or panforte. For 12 people, I'd opt for something a bit larger than a rabbit. I'd say a large piece of fatty roast pork would be a much better option and make like three different sauces to accompany. Side could be some bread, roasted vegetables, maybe boiled root vegetables or cooked cabbage. Almond milk was a common drink, or if you're feeling inventive go find a recipe for barley water (it's pretty good). Oh and don't forget the trenchers for any kind of meat you serve. Get a piece of stale bread and toast it, dry, over low heat (like 2) for a good 30 - 40 minutes until it's like a brick. Can't really cheat the process by going faster although you could just serve regular toasted bread.

Here's a few good websites.
http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/goderec.htm
http://medievalcookery.com/ (the translation of the recipes are good, but I don't like the transcribed versions that the author does)
http://nvg.org.au/documents/other/medieval_vegetarian.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLKIPv0b6JM (this guy's handful of vids are good)

>>9105156
>>9105234
this is shit if you want actual medieval food.
>>
It's not really medieval, but you can get some ideas from James Townsend.

He does a lot of colonial era shit (1700s-1800s)

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson/videos
>>
>>9104406
>aesthetics
Spit roast a boar and serve some oversized drumsticks, have some mead and lambswool for drinks
>>
File: Shiskabugs-05.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Shiskabugs-05.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>obligatory
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.