[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never cooked before, I'm terrified of burning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I've never cooked before, I'm terrified of burning the place down. How do I get over my fear and learn to cook?
>>
>>9103810

Understand that it's impossible for the place to burn down. You're standing there in the kitchen. You're not playing with your phone or dealing with any other distractions. If the unlikely event of an accident happens, then you're there to take care of it before it becomes a problem.

What's there to worry about?
>>
>>9103810
just stop eating completely. after a few days your fear of cooking will be gone.
>>
>>9103810
see a doctor
>>
>>9103814
Even if I don't I'll totally fuck up the food. I'm too retarded to do these kinds of things.
>>
>>9103810
You usually don't have to worry about burning down your home when cooking. That's mostly a thing people say as a joke, because it's very unlikely to happen even if you mess up and start a fire in your kitchen. The most likely way it could happen is if you were to leave a pot or pan on the stove, forget to turn off the burner, and leave it alone for several hours. Even then, the fire is most likely going to be easily contained. Make sure your kitchen is equipped with a working fire extinguisher, a small one like what they sell at Wallmart will do, and that your smoke detectors are in working order and you'll be fine.

You could also start out with recipes that require minimal or even no use of heating elements. No-bake cookies are a solid option. Many sauces and dips also don't require heat, like salsa or guacamole. You could start moving on to things like grilled sandwiches, which only need a short time in a frying pan or sandwich press. Just gradually expose yourself to more and more complex cooking and you'll be over that fear in no time.
>>
>>9103815
I agree.
>>
Low heat and grease. If the grease smokes, it's too hot.
>>
>>9103810
>How do I get over my fear and learn to cook?
take your autism medicine or just blame your parents for a made up condition
>>
>>9103810
start with something easy, instant foods are a good way to go or things that require you to boil them in water (you can't burn water btw)

if you can manage to start there, i strongly recommend learning to manage the heat of your stove (if you have one). not everything needs to be cooked on high heat. unless you need to sear it, cook it LOW AND SLOW. it will take longer but there will be less risk.

for example, if you were to boil a sausage or cook an egg, set the heat to low and take 2x or even 3x as long to cook it, so you can get a feel for things.

godspeed
>>
>>9103810
I'd suggest following a few simple recipes. Find something you like and follow it to a T. Maybe start at something as easy as grilled cheese. Think of it as a warm-up. Ramp up to more involved recipes as your comfort improves. Once you feel confident with something then you shouldn't be afraid to improvise a little and have fun with it.
>>
You cook, faglord.
>>
>>9103810

You have to be a literal retard to burn anything down by cooking in the modern age. Avoid making a grease fire and you will be fine.

As for the actual cooking itself, find recipes for food you like, follow directions to the letter. Congrats, you just made food.
>>
>>9103810
Turn the stove off when you're done.
>>
>>9104141
Unless you're making stirfry.
>>
You're not afraid of burning the house down. That's just something you're telling yourself to legitimize your actual fear. What you're really afraid of is cutting or burning or in any way yourself. And the solution is to know that you will and it wont really hurt, you might even be proud of your scars.
>>
Look up sous vide.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.