[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i wanna go to a french restaurant, but i'm scared i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: chocolate chokes.jpg (31KB, 496x496px) Image search: [Google]
chocolate chokes.jpg
31KB, 496x496px
i wanna go to a french restaurant, but i'm scared i'll get laughed at 'cause i don't know how to pronounce the food.

is croissant really pronounced "kwah-saun"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGP4n--sTGo
>>
>>9096405
No it's pronounced "Krah-sahnt
>>
>>9096405
It is in French, yes. But unless you do the correct French pronunciation for every French origin word in English saying "kwah-saun" makes you sound like a try-hard. Just say krassant.
>>
>>9096417
>makes you sound like a try-hard

Why do people think that this is a bad thing?
>>
File: 1445763584062.jpg (217KB, 554x717px) Image search: [Google]
1445763584062.jpg
217KB, 554x717px
>>9096405

American here. I'll pronounce foreign words any way I want to. Sometimes I'll even purposefully mispronounce words, culinarry and otherwise, in horrendeous ways just to see if the prissy bitch-made waiter/waitress has the gall to correct me. Why? Because as an American, I don't have to follow your rules. Because my ancestry for the past 300 years has slid their girthy and lengthy dicks down the throats of every nation on this planet that has the impudence to hold their linguistic nuances above my superior language.

I've earned the right to call a Croissant whatever the fuck I choose to.
>>
>>9096412
Be sure to get a bit of phlegm in the "r" for bonus points.
>>
>>9096456
This guy gets it. I can only hope to be this free one day.
>>
>>9096456
>voluntarily showing my lack of knowedge of a subject is something to be proud of
typical burgers. This is why your government fucks you up the arse
>>
>>9096405
No one cares.
>>
>>9096456
>Past 300 years.

Nope. Try since 1956.
>>
>>9096405
take the laughter directed at you as fuel and use it to learn some basic fucking french.
>>
>>9096422
Trying hard isn't a bad thing. Trying hard to give off a false image of yourself is. Using French pronunciation for some French words and not others shows that you only care about appearing cultured rather than imbibing culture. Also, the same people who's go to great lengths to correctly pronounce a few French words will also proudly mispronounce Indian dishes or Thai dishes.
>>
When it comes to pronouncing food, I generally pronounce it the American English. If I am speaking French, then I will pronounce things the French way.
>>
>>9096456
>I've earned the right to call a Croissant whatever the fuck I choose to.
By doing what, being a NEET and posting on a ukrainian speak-and-spell enthusiasts forum?
>>
>>9096405

No.

The /r/-sound in French is different than the /w/-sound in English.
>>
>>9096564
>>taking an obvious joke this seriously
>>
>>9096405
Just pronounce everything as incorrectly as possible, even the words you would normally know like baguette. It will seem like you're being ironic and everyone will think it's hilarious. It's what I do whenever I go to a french restaurant.
>>
>>9096405
The french language is a liberal hoax invented to make me feel dumb
>>
>>9096405
Just say it however you want to. They know what you are talking about, and even if you were fluent, the French will still correct your pronunciation. You will never make a frog happy when you speak their language.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.