/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>show about food cultures >wastes over 60% of episode on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 16

File: 506451.jpg (437KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
506451.jpg
437KB, 1920x1080px
>show about food cultures
>wastes over 60% of episode on political propaganda

Why do US food&cooking shows do this?
>>
>>9095803
>on CNN

what did you expect?

also bourdain is cuckoo liberal who loves talking about how much better and smarter he is
>>
>>9095803
He lost his way. Dude was supposed to be the Hemingway or Hunter S. of food. Now he only has his team find some hipster food joint and expand on anything ironic he can dig up during his week in town.

No Reservations was great though.
>>
>>9095823
>No Reservations was great though.
Tony + Nari in S. Korea
>>
>>9095825
Tony was /ourguy/ until he flipped the switch on his personal politics and that's the way it goes when you move from alky tv host to half assed journalist.

>>9095830
Great episode. It made me want to try kimchi so bad. I think he reconnected with Nari in PU. It's a shame that time sort of beat her down and her qt schtick didn't fit her age anymore.
>>
>>9095803
he thinks he's hot shit in a champagne glass
>>
>>9095825
The alt-right gets their panties ruffled and their tiny dicks shrink even more when they see and hear someone treating homo sapiens who speak different languages, have different skin tones or (gasp) worship different mythological figures than the crucified jew as human beings deserving respect. Add in the fact that he can form coherent and witty paragraphs and to them he's satan incarnate.
>>
They probably took this premise to a number of networks and CNN, looking to diversify their programming, bit the hook.

As a result the premise turned into a sort of a BBC-esque mini doc on a region of the world as told through food. Pretty clever.
>>
>>9095846
Didn't he "flip the switch" when he and his film crew literally got bombed out of Lebanon?
>>
>>9095852
but he's really cold diarrhea in a dixie cup!
>>
>>9095846
>Tony was /ourguy/ until he flipped the switch on his personal politics and that's the way it goes when you move from alky tv host to half assed journalist.

Most episodes, even in No Reservations/The Layover, had him wander into the political/racial situation of wherever he was. You might be thinking of A Cooks Tour, which sucked.
>>
>>9095803
he never looked comfortable when he couldn't talk about how much the right suck. the lebanon episode gave him the go ahead
>>
>>9095803
Man it's on CNN. That's the deal they probably made him-- oy vey you can have your show back after your blew Travel Channel's patience, Anthony, but only if you shill up our talking points during your travels.
>>
>>9095863
In the end he polarised himself. It's just like comedians who were genuinely ok with everyone and they spout their anti-whatever bullshit ad nauseum and it ruins their image.

He was going to pledge his allegiance and ride the Turner broadcasting agenda sooner or later.
>>
>>9095883
NR was food culture first and whatever he wanted to muse on later. He has a definite political and racial agenda that he has to push when visiting a country or city. And stuffing his mouth is our only break from it.

Also that Zach dude, his camera man, literally stole his style from movies like Lost in Translation. I didn't realize it until I watched it again earlier this month.
>>
>>9095904
zamboni? that guys a chill bro.
>>
>>9095803

>everything I don't agree with is "propaganda"
>>
you fucking backwoods people that don't want anyone calling out shit are such sensitive snowflake bitches. get over yourselves for christ sake. like a clutch of women in a knitting circle.
>>
Is anyone really surprised? Even putting aside his views on Muslims, he's not exactly a cultured man. His view on decoration is 'plate it in gold and slap my name on it!'. He's a toddler with a sparkly crayon who's learned to spell his own name
>>
>>9095917
well he is jewish.
>>
>>9095917

we're not talking about Trump.
>>
>>9095917

he's more cultured, civilized and intelligent than any of the trailer park Mississippi gomers on 4chan. How many you garbage pail fuck ups have even read his book?
>>
>>9095916
It's not calling anything out anymore. It's incessant whining day in and day out.

Everybody is crying about being deprived of something everywhere you turn. By all means enjoy that bullshit.
>>
>>9095858
>projecting
>>
Iran episode made me very disappointed. They are biggest foodie culture in ME,biggest producers of saffron,great lifting caviar industry and unique preparations of bread products. Also whole bunch of different ethnicities with different cuisines and still he wasted majority of episode on some libtard journalistas and spitting on Iran mullahs.
>>
>>9095916
>>9095921
>>9095929
See: >>9095935
>>
>>9095936
again it is on CNN.
>>
>>9095935
Ah projecting, it's how to say "I know you are but what am I" only more passive-agressively.
>>
>>9095950
See: >>9095938
>>
>>9095935
>>9095938
>>9095976
>not understanding what projecting means
>>
>>9095803
Cause Anthony is pretentious and think he's a deep writer.
>>
>>9096080
Where do you get that from? He never said he was a great writer, in fact he often says the opposite. Same with his cooking ability.
>>
>>9096109

He never said he was a great writer, he never said he was a great cook. These people are fucking fundamentally fucked up human beings. They're just jealous a dipshit like Tony can make it when they couldn't.
>>
>>9096115

I don't think I hate any group of people more than I hate jealous, sucky children that are envious. They could fall into a wood chipper and I'd just drink a beer and watch.
>>
I think it's a novel take. I think I've learned more about foreign politics and culture through food than through actual content on foreign politics and culture. It's similar for many people
>>
>>9095808
i realized i don't hate him cause he's a liberal. i hate him cause he's an asshole new yorker.
>>
>>9095803
>Had a long flight and watched the Vegas episode.
>Never seen shown before, but seen lots of adds.
>CNN logo already has me upset
>First 10 minutes criticizes Vegas as a city that preys on the weak due to the evils of capitalism.
>Decide to watch Xander Cage instead
>>
>>9096136

That makes you such a great person.
>>
>>9095803
It's a personality driven show. It's not about food cultures. It's about putting Bourdain in a variety of different places so he can do his thing for the camera. And because he's a former chef food will be one of the main topics. But the guy is also a Northeasterner who has lived his entire adult life in NYC. His wordlview is typical for a New Yorker his age. The only part of the city where he'd be something of an outlier is Staten Island.

It shouldn't be a surprise that a personality driven show about an older New Yorker projects the views most folks in New York have. If you don't like it don't watch, and don't come to New York. But there's no way to shake the New York off Tony, because he's New York as fuck.

t. a New Yorker
>>
>>9096136

Like most people here, you're an intimidated, undereducated piece of shit that reacts to anyone with this 'hate' because you know you're fucking filth that doesn't do anything.. I just wish you people would keep it to yourselves.
>>
>>9095803
try gordon ramsay's videos. he's got some great food culture clips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNzwy6ZFnuk
>>
>>9095803
Meh. I don't care about the political propaganda.

I've just grown to dislike Anthony bourdain over the years. I can't stand it when he talks to people. I just want to hear him describe food. That's all.
>>
>>9095803
>Why do US food&cooking shows do this?

A better question is why does OP think that Parts Unknown is a cooking show?

Fuck, it's on CNN. Not the food network. And Bourdain got his start in TV doing travel shows for the fucking travel channel. All of his shows have been about travel first, food 2nd.
>>
>>9096337
>people here unironically watch any other channel besides the food network
I want any fag that does this to leave.
>>
>>9096337
>All of his shows have been about travel first, food 2nd.
This. And the political views he puts across are those you'd expect from someone who enjoys traveling the world, meeting new people and tating their cooking. If his politics annoy you maybe Domesday Preppers is what you ought to be watching.
>>
Parts Unknown isnt about food anymore though, thats why its on CNN. Food is just a tie in for the series unlike No Reservations. You came into it expecting something wrong.
>>
>>9095846
>Great episode. It made me want to try kimchi so bad.
The episode of him in Uruguay with his brother Christopher was also good.
>>
>>9096359
I'm well travelled and have friends on every continent, but I'm not a fan of many left wing ideas. Not everything is so black and white.
>>
>>9097057
Military?
>>
>>9096350
Food Network isn't very good now. They have a lot of celebrity chefs who are competent but not as good as the people they used to have. I was watching one and she said nobody liked what she was about to make, but she made it anyway. And the competition shows are boring. The only thing I ever watch anymore is Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives because I like to see food from different places.

If you have the "Create" channel, they don't always have cooking shows on but the ones they do put on are usually good.

https://www.createtv.com/Cooking
>>
>>9096314
>there's no way to shake the New York off Tony, because he's New York as fuck.
what's that even supposed to mean?

californian here
>>
>>9097267
A license to be surly, just like you have a license to be annoyingly liberal.
>>
hes a fuckin alcoholic
>>
>>9097267

His accent, his mannerisms, his choice of words when he speaks, his attitude, etc, are thoroughly ingrained with NY style.
>>
>>9097294
This. Also the self-confidence that sometimes across as arrogance, the forwardness with which he expresses his opinions, the borderline tough guy act, the love of rock music that leans in a punk direction, the history of drug use, the level of alcohol consumption, and his lack of tolerance for anything he sees as boring or mediocre... These are all pretty typical for a New Yorker of his generation.
>>
I'm really disappointed in the direction he's taken despite agreeing with him on a lot of things. Same reason I stopped reading Cracked years ago, it's like people forget that they started doing what they do primarily to entertain/inform.
>>
>>9095825
Pathetic. You're much worse than those you seek to ridicule.

There are people who don't agree with your shitty beliefs. Try to handle it like an adult for once.
>>
Anthony bourdain is just another ex-crack junkie liberal who thinks he's "enlightened" and wants to enlighten all of us ignorant plebs.

The truth is, Bourdain comes off as big of a racist bigot as anybody.

The bull shit stereotypes bourdain has about south east asians is hilarious... especially when he thinks he's praising them.
>>
>>9097478
>Anthony bourdain is just another ex-crack junkie liberal who thinks he's "enlightened" and wants to enlighten all of us ignorant plebs.
>The truth is, Bourdain comes off as big of a racist bigot as anybody.

I wonder if he has any fucking self awareness when he tries to wax poetic but instead spews a fucking diahreah of cliche stereotypes.
>>
>>9097485

I wonder why you take this so seriously.
>>
>>9097478

American liberals thinking they will "save the world" need to fucking kill themselves.
>>
>these replies
You 'people' know that reddit also has cooking boards? And if you post pictures of your nigger faces you'll probably get some free stuff too.
>>
>>9097455
Think about it: his shows are kind of cushy dream jobs compared to being a chef and writer. He makes piles of money to travel around the world with a film crew while spouting off whatever the fuck is on his mind. And you know what years of a gig like that will do to you? Make you soft and a little boring. Hard enough to keep your edge as you get older anyways, but being rich and having a cushy job has turned him into a dull guy compared to his former self.
>>
I love when they have episodes where he has to shoot a gun.
You can see his internal reeeeeeing
>>
>>9097527
/ck/ failing to match up with the sensibilities you expected? Maybe you'd feel more at home on /pol/ or /b/.
>>
>>9097543
>having a job you like makes you boring
rationalization: the post
>>
>>9095825
>this is why trump won
>implying this isn't why trump won
Keep losing elections fampai.
>>
>>9097478
>>9097485
>mfw when the alt-right ridicules someone for being a racist and bigot toward people of other cultures
>>
>>9097543
Anon you quoted here. I won't bust his balls for getting rich on a cushy job, but I will say I just don't enjoy his work anymore. Sort of like when a band changes their sound to appeal to a different audience, I'm just not in the target audience anymore. Still have the memories I suppose. Smiley face.
>>
>>9097566
Having a cushy, high paying job takes your edge away. Part of Tony's charm was that he was just a little street. You could tell he'd worked really hard during his career, and that some of the jobs he'd worked at were shitty. And when he got the chance to be on camera you could feel the hunger for his new career in entertainment. What has he done since then? Basically make the same show again and again on different networks. Great way to get rich, but not a good way to keep your edge. And that edge was part of his appeal.
>>9097579
Same here.
>>
>>9097478

This.

He has no self awareness at all.
>>
>>9097576

lol

> Merican liburls worship bourdains shallow as fuck opinions

You know why we make fun of you 'merican travellers so much?
>>
What food shows on Netflix are actually worth watching?

Hard mode: No Good Eats
>>
>>9095825
>>9095858
When did this board become tumblr?
>>
>>9096315
>i wish people didnt express their own personal beliefs and feelings

just stop
>>
>>9097779
You hang out on tumblr? What a fag.
>>
>>9097788
Clearly I'm already there
>>
>>9097790
You do seem out of place here. May I suggest /b/ or /pol/?
>>
>>9097825
I'll just stick around to annoy you until summer's over and you have to start highschool
>>
>>9097834
Dude, I'm 49.
>>
>>9097843
Boomer, that's even worse
>>
>>9095823
The fact that you think he's not Hunter because he goes into politics means you haven't read anything by either person.
>>
>>9097871
X'er, actually.
>>
>>9097779
Never been there. You seem to know about it so why would I belong there? Because I have an opinion contrary to the alt-right? Thanks, I'll stay here which was leftist long before the sturmfags crawled out of from under their rocks.
>>
>>9097983
>of food

Maybe you should take your own advice and try reading for a change.
>>
>>9097983
Food politics? Are you retarded?
>>
>>9098117
this
>>
>>9098147
You need to work on your kuso miso technique.
>>
>>9098151
>kuso miso
Did you mean to type that or did your dangling man boobs touch the keyboard?
>>
>>9098189

My my. New here aren't we.
>>
Who here
>A Cooks Tour
>>
>>9097779
Lotta womyn on this board.. remember.
>>
>>9095929
I have. It was fun because it was about food, alcohol, drugs, getting laid, and restaurant insider tips... you know, the reasons why No Reservations was so good and his newer stuff with him being a pseudo-journalist blows. Was bringing up his book supposed to help your case?
>>
>>9095803
show isn't really about the food anon

its about life/culture in a certain area and food is just a backdrop
>>
>>9096359

>The diversity of the world's peoples and cultures is so wonderful, it's what makes humanity so great and interesting
>Everyone must blend together until we all look and think exactly the same, it's the only way to defeat prejudice

It's understandable that one might simply pay lip service to such ideas in order to gain status, but there are probably a few people who actually believe this. So bizarre.
>>
>>9098394
It's a New York thing. Having people from all different cultures around you gives you access to the good things from those cultures, particularly their food and music. You see living in a cosmopolitan place as a good thing.
>Everyone must blend together until we all look and think exactly the same,
It's kind of the opposite of that. It's enjoying all the different shit different people bring to the party. The party just happens to be the city where you live.
>>
>>9095803
the show isn't about food as much as his previous shows, don't be a retard

t. guy that doesn't like Parts Unknown
>>
>>9098423
NY is squalor as well. It's not like everyone immediately knows all the best places.
>>
>>9098394
>separation of people based on skin tone, language and culture into exclusive tribal units similar to what existed when homo sapiens first crawled out of the trees and beat his neighbor over the head with a rock is preferable to trying to create a better world.

It's one thing for sturmfags to virtue signal this to belong to a particular circlejerk group for social reasons, but there are probably a few who actually believe it. Bizarre.
>>
>>9098423

You're mistaken. Here's what Bourdain literally said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJqXEoUU3U

Furthermore, diversity is merely a transitional phase. It's remarkable that people who go and on about "sustainibility" can't see this. The power of willful ignorance, I guess.
>>
>>9097779
Always has been bro
>>
>>9098440

I agree with you actually. It just makes so much more sense to create a social order that completely disregards human evolutionary history. That's how you end up with wonderful successes like Communism.
>>
>>9098439
That's a huge part of it. There's a very specific perspective that comes from running a restaurant that sells steak frites to rich people and having half your kitchen staff living in relative squalor. Yet also knowing some of the joints in those squalor neighborhoods also turn out amazing food that the rich people won't pay any attention to unless you sell it at the massive food court you're about to lose your shirt opening on a pier on the west side.
>>
>>9098457
>accepting other homo sapiens as just that, homo sapiens, is the same thing as muh Bolshevism.

OK, Cletus, we'll just have to disagree. Better check on your sister, she might be feeling lonely again.
>>
>>9098477
Not an argument.
>>
File: 5o0bIRX.png (503KB, 1028x566px) Image search: [Google]
5o0bIRX.png
503KB, 1028x566px
>>9098477

Wow, just wow. Are you seriously disparaging the practice of incestuous relations? That's so Islamophobic! Ugh!
>>
>>9095803
>watching tv

wew
>>
>>9098508
>watching CNN
Wew fag

ftfy
>>
>>9098451
He's not wrong though. Genetic testing is already showing how hopelessly intertwined we are. It's just not obvious by looking at people, which allows them to maintain antique prejudices based on appearance and place of origin. At the end of the day people will always find shit to be divisive over, but race is kinda silly. I have no problem with the idea of letting it go. But of course that's easy to say as a white guy who gives zero fucks.
>>
>>9098513
You're ignoring the fact that race and culture are very closely twined. What you're saying is that everyone should throw away their language and culture so they can all be the same? As expected of a white male.
>>
>>9098513

Yes, only white people think this way. No other human group is complacent about its dissolution.

I'm not sure what type of "genetic testing" you were referring to. The common opinion is that racial differences should not be investigated, as knowedge of their existence is simply too dangerous.
>>
>>9098524
But in America culture gets assimilated eventually. Ben Frank hated the Germans. Everyone hated the Irish. The Italians didn't fare so well, either. Now none of that shit is a big deal.
>>9098538
>No other human group is complacent about its dissolution.
Generally the more educated people are the more they see this shit as meaningless. The whole idea of culture wars is ignorant shit powerful people manipulate to their own ends.
>>
>>9098552

>some extremely similar groups are able to be assimilated with great effort
>therefore any group no matter how different will automatically assimilate, even while being encouraged to retain its culture

Btw, no one even supports assimiliation anymore. Assimilation and an ideal of cultural uniformity are racist now. Even if you believe in this notion, you're incredibly out of touch.
>>
>>9098574
Fuck off back to /pol/
>>
>>9098577

I appreciate your thoughtful, measured response.
>>
File: GreenBeanCasserole.jpg (74KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
GreenBeanCasserole.jpg
74KB, 1000x563px
>>9098568
>encouraged to retain its culture
I live in the US. There really isn't that much that qualifies as culture. There are a few music and food things in the South, but the rest of it is mostly pop culture or manufactured industrial/advertising culture. Not all that much worth retaining. McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Hollywood and pic related aren't really worth all that much. Mediocre shit.
>>9098581
HesRightThough.jpg
>>
>>9098608

I suggest learning how to read before attempting to engage in discussion.
>>
>>9098581
Fuck off back to /pol/
>>
File: Ayatollah.jpg (21KB, 352x439px) Image search: [Google]
Ayatollah.jpg
21KB, 352x439px
>>9095803
>turn on CNN
>up comes an ad for a potty-mouthed Jew who goes around the World harassing people and getting free-food
>constant propaganda
>mfw
>>
>>9098639

lol, why even post?
>>
>>9098639
this
>>
>>9098552
>lol let's only think about the US
Why don't you try living/traveling outside of the States and see how other people from other cultures live their lives.
>>
File: 2016-04-04 08.44.50 1.jpg (885KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-04 08.44.50 1.jpg
885KB, 1024x768px
>>9095803
Show about food and*** cultures, it is not no reservations.

anytime I meet people traveling we always end up talking about politics. Because food, politics and cultures are the main differences between countries and regions.

if you /pol/tards ventured out of your basement and starting spewing maga memes in bum fuck taiwan everyone would think you're retarded including the right.
>>
>>9095846
Good Kimchi is the best thing on earth. So diverse and amazing
>>
>>9098676

Taiwan is such a great example of progressive tolerance. A country that's 98% homogenous with a marginalized indigenous minority, is there anything more inspiring? I guess that's what happens without disgusting white "people" around. We have so much to learn from them. Fucking trumpkins really need to take an example from other cultures.
>>
>>9098676
Traveling where, between your parent's home and vacation home?
>>
>>9098702
That's a good start, try the closest country after that.
>>
>>9098672
Done it. In quite a few places I've been to they live better than we do.
>>
>tfw would watch a whole season of Tony and Zamir go and drink copious amounts of alcohol and talk ridiculous business ventures like they did on No Reservations.
>>
>>9098699
>taiwan is homogenous because of tolerance
>>
>its a liberals throw a hissy fit because people dont want show about cooking shoving liberal politics down their throat
>>
>>9098770
episode
>>
>>9095825
This
>>
>>9098147
I'm saying what made Hunter, "Hunter", was his political satire. Not the LOL so randum drugs you think it was.
>>
>>9095803
The worst thing to happen to /ck/ wasn't Jack. Or the McChicken. Or /sip/ threads.

It's the day /pol/ discovered us.

Seriously, fuck off back to your cancer board you backwards retards. Nobody wants you here. Or anywhere. In fact, do the world a favor and kill yourselves.
>>
File: 1480011530585.jpg (85KB, 868x657px) Image search: [Google]
1480011530585.jpg
85KB, 868x657px
>>9098837
Kill yourself trendie commietard
>>
>>9096315
Kys drama queen
>>
>>9099391

sorry, shit fondler. You're worthless garbage and you need to own it.
>>
>>9096123
For me, it's the 'go 'za, brah!
>>
>>9097267
When regan was elected there was a New York intellectual who was totally confused by it because she had hundreds of friends, and only one of them, one which she avoided significant contact with, was planning on voting for him. She couldn't grasp there were that many people that she had never had contact with who would vote for that kind of person. In the same way Anthony Bourdain can't concieve of people who are competent, intelligent, productive, and completely disagree with everything about his worldview without being bloodthirsty hitler-worshipping monsters. They exist, but he can't grasp that.

Weirdly enough that's why CNN chose to put him on TV. It's frustrating if you're invested in that sort of thing.

For me, it's the bacon double cheeseburger.
>>
>>9098837
it's not only the fucktarded /pol/tards it's anyone who brings up politics on a food board. Nobody need you around here telling each other to kill themselves. fuck off already
>>
>>9098729

you're one of the stupidest people ever to post on this site
>>
looking at all the broken links, it would appear the mod team has been taken over by /pol/tards
>>
>>9095803
"political propaganda"

any way you look at it, he is a guy sensitive to political and cultural issues that doesnt know an awfl lot about either.
But is it really that bad that he spotlights some issues, that the average foodshow viewer wouldnt know or care about?
Every documentary, every historybook they are all biased in some way or another, with him the bias is obvious and articulated(liberal left), which is why it is much less worse than bias that doesnt show and hides as a fact.
I like his shows, they have great production value/creativity and i dont feel that his political opinions are a problem, the more people know about issues in the world the better
>>
>>9099673
>politics on a food board
you dunce
>>
File: 1481087952878.jpg (33KB, 480x446px) Image search: [Google]
1481087952878.jpg
33KB, 480x446px
>>9099561
Eh they do it on all boards all the time now.

Bunch of dumb phoneposters.
>>
File: 1498438282052.jpg (292KB, 953x772px) Image search: [Google]
1498438282052.jpg
292KB, 953x772px
>>9095803
the only obnoxiously political episodes i remember were iran and russia, which were both clearly CNN shilling

the rest seemed fine, although i'm not an easily triggered altright autist. no reservations was better though
>>
>>9099773
>any way you look at it, he is a guy sensitive to political and cultural issues that doesnt know an awfl lot about either

I thought you were talking about the current sittin US president. Then I realized you were talking about a different TV personality.

To say the the issues he brings to light in his show are liberal left is to imply that conservatives don't care about or aren't impacted by the social issues he brings up. Of course they are. Social issues are not political leaning - they are observed moral and ethical issues - nothing more nothing less. To say that documenting them makes someone liberal left is to imply that conservatives don't care or want to bury their head in the sand on the issue (which will continue to exist devoid of a dmsolution and devoid of the existence of political parties). The unconscious, mistaken, assignment of a political party to a social issue is truly a great narrative of why one party is seen by people as being a champion for social justice and equality, while another party is seen as only being good for bringing more tax breaks to the rich. Really makes you think.
>>
>>9098891
Fuck off back to /pol/
>>
>>9099408
Different guy retard
>>
>>9099936
>To say that documenting them makes someone liberal left is to imply that

Nobody is saying that he's a liberal left for merely bringing up issues. We're saying he's a liberal left because he expresses liberal left opinions on various issues.
>>
>>9099967
le fuckle ofle tole lebbit
>>
>>9099936
surprising that you put the effort into writing this, but not into reading the text you are replying to.
i didnt argue why he was "liberal left" i stated it as a fact, since he himself describes himself as that and it shows in his assessment of social and political situations.

completely unrelated, i wonder how you can believe what you are saying, considering "conservatives" are in charge of every important western government.
Id rather say its the opposite, people are so blinded by racism, fear and disappointment about left parties, that they massively undervalue what the parties actually stand for and what they their focuses are.
A poor person voting macron, trump or angela merkel clearly goes against their own wellbeing, because, well, there is a reason why certain things are associated with certain political/economic povs
>>
>>9100002

communism isn't making a comeback, dude

sorry
>>
>>9099984
Fuck off back to /pol/
>>
File: ToppersTot.jpg (41KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
ToppersTot.jpg
41KB, 600x337px
>>9099550
>Anthony Bourdain can't concieve of people who are competent, intelligent, productive, and completely disagree with everything about his worldview without being bloodthirsty hitler-worshipping monsters. They exist, but he can't grasp that.
This is true. Most of New York (with the exception of Staten Island) kind of gapes in horror at what large chunks of the rest of the country's normal. Politics is part of it, sure. A Reagan, Bush Jr or Trump gets elected and we're in disbelief. We consoled ourselves with the fact that a lot of us were going to get richer under those leaders, but they weren't the direction we wanted to see our country move in. And it was hard to understand why people voted for them. From our view it looked like a mixture of fear, jingoism and racism - all things New Yorkers try to play down. I honestly know a few people who had panic attacks last election night. The richest guy I know has done business with Trump and knew him personally for a couple years. He stands to make millions off the proposed tax cuts, and still thinks the guy is an idiot.

But it goes beyond politics. New Yorkers have trouble understanding other things the rest of the country Food is a big one, too. Don't forget Manhattan had fafafel joints before we had a McDonald's. We had neighborhood delis and pizza joints before chain restaurants existed. We had fine dining restaurants before many towns in this country were established. We've been eating Chinese food for over a hundred years, and Japanese has been commonplace for almost thirty years. The idea that in other parts of the country people are enthusiastic about pic related dumbfounds us.
>>
>>9100058

>We
>100 years

There's nothing in common between today's NYC and the NYC of a century ago. You're identifying with nothing more than a name and some streets.
>>
>>9100058
Most of us have never set foot in a Walmart or Costco. Many of us reach adulthood having traveled internationally but not yet bothered to get a drivers license. We see possibilities to reinvent yourself at any moment. I've got two friends running micro artisan bread baking businesses. I can pitch ideas for TV shows because I have friends who are writers and network execs. Hell, my workday today consists of a wine tasting and producing a recording session. How the fuck are we supposed to relate to anything happening in West Virginia?

We fucking can't. But that hardly makes us some sort of ivory tower. We've got nearly five times the population of West Virginia in about ten square miles.

It's a different fucking world, and Bourdain happens to be from here. If that annoys you that's fine. But his perspective is shared by a hell of a lot of people.
>>
>>9100077
>There's nothing in common between today's NYC and the NYC of a century ago.
You can still get pizza made in a century plus old oven at fucking Lombardi's. You can get a steak at Delmonico's. Or Peter Luger's. You can get pastrami at Katz's or a hot dog at Nathan's in Coney Island. These are all century old places where much of the food has changed little, if it all. A taste of a century ago is easy to find here.
>>
>>9100058
>>9100083

I can't tell if these are real posts. Funny either way though.
>>
>>9100083
There are 5 Costcos within the 5 Boroughs you stupid nigger.
>>
>>9100130
I know. I live near one, I have a neighbor who shops there. He's the only guy I know personally who does. He's also the only guy I know whose wife has beetus and rides around in a scooter. Coincidence?
>>
>>9100058
>>9100083
>New Yorkers live in a bubble and think the rest of the country has to cater to their childish demands and get angry when they learn that they are not in fact the center of the universe
Color me shocked.
>>
>>9095994
See: >>9095976
>>
>>9100137

Well he must be buying a lot of food if he's the store's only source of revenue.
>>
>>9100158
We do live in a different world from the rest of the country, no doubt. But if you're going to call it a bubble realize that in terms not just population, but economics, culture and politics that bubble wields a lot of influence. Like it or not.
>>9100178
The parking lot is usually jammed with beat up minivans of the poor families who shop there. I just know those people. But the place is kind of an outlier for the city. Most New Yorkers don't get into the car to go shopping. They just hit whatever markets and bodegas are in their neighborhood, pushing one of those old lady carts if they have to.
>>
>>9100196
>I just know those people
Meant to say: I just DON'T know those people. My circle skews a bit more affluent than that, which sounds awful to say, but it's true. I buy pretty much everything at specialty shops. Most of my neighbors with kids shop at the co-op because they want organic food for cheap.
>>
>>9100196
>We do live in a different world from the rest of the country, no doubt. But if you're going to call it a bubble realize that in terms not just population, but economics, culture and politics that bubble wields a lot of influence. Like it or not.
That's all well and good except for the fact that a large portion of the big city liberal ideology is predicated on being understanding and tolerant of other cultures, you lot seem willing to do that for goat farmers thousands of miles away but you can't extend that courtesy to people one state away.
>>
File: BeeTeeEffOh.png (72KB, 951x807px) Image search: [Google]
BeeTeeEffOh.png
72KB, 951x807px
>>9100196
>that bubble wields a lot of influence.
lol influence like driving your economy into the ground influence?
>>
>>9100239
>big city liberal ideology is predicated on being understanding and tolerant of other cultures
You don't have a choice about this - they are literally your neighbors. Just among my friends are people born in Ireland, China, France, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Finland, England, Japan, Guyana, Kashmir and Ghana. I can walk through the park and hear eight languages being spoken. Attaching tolerance to a liberal ideal seems like more of a Midwest PC thing to me. Here it's just how you get through the day. You don't give it a second thought. The fun of it is you can walk through different neighborhoods and try a variety of foods most folks would have to take a bunch of international trips to taste. And if I want the exotic feeling of being someplace with a red state mentality the ferry to Staten Island is free.

As for the general liberal leaning of the city let me put it like this: you have some of the world's richest people walking the same sidewalks with homeless. You have Wall St guys dropping five figures on bottles of wine less than a mile from apartments where immigrant laborers sleep eight to a room. When you see the staggering disparity between the richest and the poorest every fucking day you'd have to be a monster to not want to see that evened out a little.
>>9100243
Deregulate the markets and you get boom and bust cycles. Anyone whose studied economics will tell you that. But in the process you'll make a few people very rich, so the rich usually push for that.
>>
>>9100282
>completely ignores the point of my post and weaves more whimsical prose about how magnificent his city is
You aren't my grandfather and I don't give a fuck.

Extending your own argument wouldn't it only make sense that you shouldn't give a second thought to the ideas one state away because understanding your national neighbors is how you "get through the day" of living as a citizen of the United States? I wish you'd just admit the fact that you view the rest of the country as the enemy, it's not some lapse in understanding tragically brought on by the gritty/evil-but-also-magnificent township you live in, it's not some charming sociological quirk, it's pure resentment that someone can be educated, gainfully employed and most of all happy without stepping over vagrant shit on the subway to work every morning. I didn't even vote for the cocksucker but I'll say that thing that those guys say: this is why we have Donald Trump.
>>
>>9095929
>How many you garbage pail fuck ups have even read his book?
Which one?
I read every single one and I think I read Kitchen Confidential five times.

He was a cool dude who became an everyday normal social democrat boomer through money and easy living, get over it.
>>
>>9100376
>I wish you'd just admit the fact that you view the rest of the country as the enemy,
That's being way to dramatic about it. The truth is we don't even remember you exist most of the time. What's going on in the Jersey suburbs that's interesting enough that a New Yorker would focus his attention there? It was clearly the place to be during the postwar boom, but that boom is long over and I can't for the life of me figure out why people still live there. And it seems like the economic opportunities and recreational shit to do is just getting thinner and thinner. Yet people stay instead of moving to a place with more going on. Sure, if you've got a really good job and a nice house of course it makes sense to stay. But if you don't why the fuck live there?

And I agree this election was the result of the rage of people who felt ignored by people who think like I do. I'm totally cool with that. But it's not going to make me stop ignoring them, because from where I sit they look like a fading demographic. We're in the last few moments where there will be enough of them to tip the balance. And given the results of their show of power and rage they're starting to look a bit foolish, don't you think? Like they got played.
>>
>>9100425
>And it seems like the economic opportunities and recreational shit to do is just getting thinner and thinner. Yet people stay instead of moving to a place with more going on. Sure, if you've got a really good job and a nice house of course it makes sense to stay. But if you don't why the fuck live there?
>https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/why-is-everyone-leaving-the-city/521844/
Again all flash and no substance. Indicative of your home?
>>
>>9100456
>Indicative of your home?
My home is a very modest apartment in an immigrant neighborhood. I didn't come here to get rich on Wall St, though some of my friends have. I came here so I could make a living doing creative shit and not having to get a straight job. And that's worked out, because there are opportunities here that don't really exist in most other parts of the country. My workday today is going to a wine tasting, then producing a recording session. There aren't too many suburbs where I could get paid to do that.
>>
File: 1498113645638.jpg (105KB, 600x473px) Image search: [Google]
1498113645638.jpg
105KB, 600x473px
Andrew Zimmern is better anyway
>>
File: IMG_6015.jpg (32KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6015.jpg
32KB, 240x320px
I've lived in flyover states, NYC, SF, and London. I'm surprised at how assblasted everyone is at each other. In Utah, I drove to work. In NYC and London, I took the train. That was probably the main difference. I guess NYC food options were better, but also a pain to get to.

People make too much of the differences. Once you boil it down, everybody's day-to-day life is about the same. Probably the main difference is that in NYC you have more creative opportunities for work.
>>
>>9100505
>tries to squirm his way out of being proven categorically wrong by trying to impress me by bragging about spending the day with winos and C-list recording artists, two of the worst groups of people on the planet.
Yeah I saw it when you posted it previously in the thread bud, still just as impressed as I was then. You know what, I hope you stay in the city, I honestly don't think you could handle it in the suburbs much less a rural area lmao.
>>
>>9100545
>I honestly don't think you could handle it in the suburbs much less a rural area lmao.
It would require a total change in lifestyle, and a realignment of my priorities. And probably getting a straight job, which I never want to have. Even then I'd stick out like a sore thumb.
>>9100533
>NYC you have more creative opportunities for work.
Also because of this you can reinvent yourself just by following your interests instead of some career path. With so many people in one place you can make money in all kinds of little niche businesses. Or just chase down whatever interests you. I've been a musician, a producer, a writer, a teacher and I've worked in the wine business. Currently putting together a pitch for a TV show while doing some music for film. I got to do all this shit because my social life gave me access to people in these industries. That just doesn't happen in too many other places.
>>
>>9100196
>The parking lot is usually jammed with beat up minivans of the poor families who shop there. I just know those people. But the place is kind of an outlier for the city. Most New Yorkers don't get into the car to go shopping. They just hit whatever markets and bodegas are in their neighborhood, pushing one of those old lady carts if they have to.

Let me guess, Brooklyn Costco? Sounds like it.
>>
>>9097779
Modern wen can't cook anon, they are probably the ones starting all these McChicken threads
>>
>>9100806
*Modern women
>>
File: IMG_2016.png (325KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2016.png
325KB, 2400x2400px
>>9097588
>t asshurt liberal Reddit faggot sjw cuck
Time to fuck off badk to >>>/trash/
>>
>>9100791
>Brooklyn Costco?
You know it. Weird neighborhood. We've got the city's most expensive cup of coffee and one of the most upscale wine shops, yet we also have sweatshops and a hotel that was running a human trafficking operation. Massive hipster dance parties happening just blocks from streets full of Chinese and Mexican families. And the houses around the park, which was controlled by drug gangs from the 70's through the 90's are now going for $2 mil.

Crazy place.
>>
>>9100762
That's a good point about social life. You'd be hard-pressed to wind up with a similar social circle in Wyoming.

There's also something to be said about living around similar people. Like, if you went to Yale and want to live and associate with Yalies and similar, you'd probably prefer to live in NYC rather Oklahoma, which I hear suffers from a dearth of Ivy graduates.
>>
>>9100762
Are you jewish?
>>
>>9100995
>he considers people he sat in a building with to be "his people"
Breddy sad desu
>>
>>9101007
Yeah, well, that's how it is. I didn't go to Yale, but a similar school, and everybody I know is in the same general social class and went to about the same quality of school.
>>
>>9100282
>When you see the staggering disparity between the richest and the poorest every fucking day you'd have to be a monster to not want to see that evened out a little.
half my city is poor as fuck but given how agressive most of them are towards me and my family they won't ever have my sympathy desu
>>
>>9100997
Why does it matter to you?
>>
>Political shitposting
>on /ck/
BACK TO THE PIT
>>>/pol/
>>
>>9101036
Fuck off back to /pol/
>>
>>9100912
I don't really see that at the Costcos in Queens lots of strictly middle to almost upper middle class families here and one of the freaking Costcos is 6 blocks away from the housing projects. Can't say I ever saw a beat up car in the lot. Been seeing more and more Tesla's lately, I figure it's folks from the Manhattan Costco trying to shop at one of the less crowded ones.
>>
>>9096315
read this in a jewish voice lol
>>
>>9099984
>Nobody is saying that he's a liberal left for merely bringing up issues. We're saying he's a liberal left because he expresses liberal left opinions on various issues.

Where is the conservative that is documenting social issues and espousing conservative views while doing so? It doesn't exist.

You are confusing documenting social issues with caring about social issues, which is related to being a decent human being and correlates to liberal left instead of greedy pig dog capitalist right.

It's hilarious to watch you try to explain it away.. you can't.
>>
>>9100997
No, but I can pass.
>>9102353
Costco seems like a strange fit for NYC because so much of what they sell is large format stuff and so many of us live in small apartments.
>>
>>9102451
His response will be the same thing they told the slaves. Its ok to be poor, have a terrible life, because if you believe in god when you die everything will be amazing. Thats the only narrative conservative's push if they actually pretend to/feel guilty enough to help anyone under their social class
>>
>>9100282

You're insufferable.
>>
>>9102727
That's cute.
>>
File: the nose knows.png (16KB, 262x276px) Image search: [Google]
the nose knows.png
16KB, 262x276px
>>9096136
>asshole new yorker
Anthony Bourdain was born in New York City, and grew up in Leonia, New Jersey.[6][7] His parents were Pierre Bourdain (d. 1987), a classical music industry executive for Columbia Records,[8][9] and Gladys Bourdain (née Sacksman),[10][11][12][13] a staff editor for The New York Times.[14] Bourdain has said he was raised without religion, and that his ancestors were Catholic on his father's side and Jewish on his mother's side.[15]
>>
>>9097267
Tony is a kike
>>
>>9103144
>New Jersey
That'll explain it
>t. New Jerseyian
>>
>>9103144
Lineage is traced maternally with the jew
>>
>>9104661
>Jewish on his mother's side
>>
>>9102475
Believe it or not some of us do own homes here.
>>
>>9105268
I know a few people who have townhouses. My neighborhood is full of them. I'm just saying most New Yorkers don't.
>>
>>9095916
>liberals are actually trying to reappropriate the insults that apply to them

it's not working m8
>>
>>9097779
Tell me about it >>9098117. This fucking website thinks everything to the left of hitler is purple-haired screeching matriarchal insanity
>>
>>9102311
where did you get that im from /pol/?
>>
>>9095936
this so much. i know an iranian guy that was very disappointed with the episode.
>>
>>9106785
People have been calling each other snowflakes since before you were born, millennial scum

Stop pretending your orange goblin king invented modern English
>>
File: bob_mizer02x633_0.jpg (53KB, 633x490px) Image search: [Google]
bob_mizer02x633_0.jpg
53KB, 633x490px
>205 replies
>>
>>9095803
because he's an alcoholic. also, what the hell with the ass pic in the catalog?
>>
>>9095830
because not drunk and divorced yet
>>
>>9100505
you are a shitposter arguing with another shitposter on a filipino baking message board.
>>
The episode in Shanghai where he meets up with the "hacker" and goes to some wedding party..
I think it was parts unknown, that was such a trash political episode.. I went to see if he had been to shanghai before I went to visit for my first time and watched that episode.... that is when i gave up on Bourdain. Some of his previous episodes had been amazing but if he keeps making shit like that i'm out.
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.