[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you guys grow your own herbs? I really try but those fuckers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

do you guys grow your own herbs?

I really try but those fuckers keep dying on me
any tips?
>>
>>9088785
Do you have them in pots? You can literally move them out of the sun if it's too hot. Water the poor bastards too. How exactly do they keep dying on you?
>>
I have terrible luck with basil. I feel like there's a balance between pruning too much and not enough that I haven't found.
>>
I have some potted herbs outside, the rosemary and basil is good but the parsley and mint are limp and yellow no matter what happens.
>>
>>9088785
Had the same problem, although I simply got mine from the store in a pot and then put them next to the window at home. All I wanted was to keep them alive until I used them completely, but they always died quite fast.

I manage to keep them alive somewhat longer now, but they're still very fragile. Having worked at a greenhouse shortly, I learned that plants like this are often grown using very little soil and with mostly a specialized liquid food mix, so they're used to that. They rarely survive a sudden switch to soil. Keeping their roots watered with some good plantfood seems to work much better.

Don't know how it works with plants grown from seeds. They should be much more robust I reckon.
>>
>>9088823
What are you using for a soil medium? Sounds like you're locked up. Look up what kind of nutrient ratios would benefit these plants most. It's not always a one size fits all sort of deal.
>>
Basil and other herbs supposedly do really well in hydroponic systems. I'm planning to set one up to grow basil and rocket salad and maybe some other stuff that's expensive to buy.
Do you grow them from seeds or buy plants? Plants bought in the grocery store are hard to keep alive, better to buy them from a plant shop.
>>
>>9088816
When you cut basil, cut the group of leaves at the very top of the stalk and branches, not individual leaves from the branches. That will cause the plant to grow more full and produce better.
>>
Is it possible to do this shit with 0 sunlight?
>>
>>9089101

Sure, with grow lights.

For just a bunch of herbs I'd use LED strip. Not very efficient, but easy to fit in a given space. It's just a hobbyist "waste" of money and time, so efficiency shouldn't be important.
>>
File: 56758.jpg (1MB, 1016x369px) Image search: [Google]
56758.jpg
1MB, 1016x369px
Could anyone here identify these three herbs for me? I know fuck all about cooking.
>>
>>9089518
Chives, basil and cilanto I think
>>
>>9088785
i've found that watering them from underneath keeps them going a bit longer- but i'm not good at keeping them alive either
>>
>>9089518
chive basil and parsley
>>
>>9089518
Really sad chives, basil, and either parsley or cilantro.
>>
>>9089526
>>9089531
>>9089534
Thanks guys. Yeah the chives are a bit shite.
>>
Growing thyme, rosemary, chives, parsley, mint, lemonthyme and basil in my garden. Basil is dying during winter but I just buy another one each year.

Thyme and rosemary litterly explode without me doing anything but harvesting.
>>
>>9089003
i pick the single leaves and it just keeps regrowing new ones, no problem
>>9088785
i only have problems when i buy poor quality herbs to begin with. if they have a long long stem, pale green, leaves only on top it will usually turn out as shit and produce very low
i have only one plant and take off around 10 leaves everyday, still alive after weeks
>>
File: thepeople.png (26KB, 101x152px) Image search: [Google]
thepeople.png
26KB, 101x152px
growing basil (siamese, greek, and genovese), I have a fuckton of oregano, lemon balm, lovage, savory, Corsican mint, garlic chives, sage out the ass, parsley, and 3 different types of thyme. and that's just the herbs.
>>
herbs
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.