[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm just eating some lovely ham from an Italian deli with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: mustard.jpg (70KB, 600x310px) Image search: [Google]
mustard.jpg
70KB, 600x310px
I'm just eating some lovely ham from an Italian deli with a bit of hot English mustard and the question occurred to me: is mustard a thing in Italy?
>>
>>9086486
Mostarda di frutta
>>
>>9086494
>Mostarda di frutta (sometime also called only mostarda) is a Northern Italian condiment made of candied fruit and a mustard-flavoured syrup.

Good lord but why?
>>
From Italy here.
I don't think we have a native variety of mustard like the French do with dijon and the Americans do with their neon-coloured vinegar spread, but we do eat mustard, yes. Most of Italy uses French style though the northeast prefer stronger, coarser mustard.
Cremona is a city that has a speciality of fruits preserved in sugar and mustard, if you wanna consider that a native type. I've never actually eaten it, but I am aware that it exists.

>>9086504
I don't know why anyone would just call it 'mostarda.' That just means 'mustard.' It's mostarda di Cremona.
>>
>>9086545
Thanks. That's interesting; I'm guessing it's mostly used as a condiment and not so much in cooking (apart from the mostarda di frutta/Cremona)?
>>
>>9086568
Well, the northeast, due to Austrian, Hungarian and Slovenian influences in the culture and cuisine, do use mustard for cooking. There's a roast duck dish I like, for example. The duck is stuffed with apples and roasted, basted with a mix of strong mustard and honey.

Outside of the northeast, the most 'cooking' we do with it is vinaigrette, so I guess it's mostly a condiment, yeah. Also, I have no idea what anyone would do with the one from Cremona since I've never eaten it IRL. My grandfather used to eat it with cheese on bread while drinking artichoke liqueur and playing board games with other old guys, but the idea of fluorescent fruits in mustard syrup just seemed off to me so I've never tried it.
Artichoke liqueur's okay, tho.
>>
Mustard is gud

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/second-strategy-to-cooking-broccoli/
>>
File: IMG_5652.jpg (74KB, 480x611px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5652.jpg
74KB, 480x611px
>>9086486
mostarda alla vicentina
only ever eaten on rusks or bread, like marmelade
goes well with seasoned/semi seasoned cheese as well

tastes fruity spicy sweet
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.