[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does michelin star food taste like? How does it compare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 20

File: img21430.640x462.jpg (157KB, 640x462px) Image search: [Google]
img21430.640x462.jpg
157KB, 640x462px
What does michelin star food taste like? How does it compare to more expensive chain resturants like Olive garden, red lobster, ect? How does it compare to the typical foods we poor people eat?
>>
Imagine food so good it's worth driving thousands of kilometers to have. That's what michelin star food tastes like.
>>
>>9079830
Tastes and looks a few inches longer after they fuck you up the ass with the bill
>>
File: adcentury-icons-michelinman.jpg (11KB, 150x211px) Image search: [Google]
adcentury-icons-michelinman.jpg
11KB, 150x211px
what the fuck does Michelin have to do with food?
>>
>>9079874
because u have to drive to get the food
>>
>>9079830
It's really just a whole different level of food. Everything makes sense, every ingredient and texture works. You don't even realize how important texture is until you've been to one. You may think crunchy and soft are textures, but I've had braised pork belly that was crackling on top, crispy underneath, velvet smooth fat, and tender meat, in one bite. It's breddy good senpai.

Like, these guys just cook for their entire lives, it's what they do. Imagine if every waking moment was spent perfecting and practicing something that that's how they do food.

But then you get the bill and have to shove your own fist into your ass and up through your throat to sign the receipt because you spent 3-5 hundred a person.
>>
>>9079874
They started printing travel guides in 1900 to encourage more people to drive (and thus to buy their tires)
>>
>>9079890
>>9079934
>make joke because think they just have the same name
>learn that they're the same company
well you learn something new every day
>>
>>9079934
you wouldn't happen to know what the "stars" actually are?
i heard it once but can't remember what the symbols actually are, might be tires but not sure
>>
>>9079978
They are asterisks
>>
>>9079924
Lol it doesn't even have to be super expensive. Go to a one or two-star restaurant at lunch and they have special deals that make it manageable.
>>
>>9079993
One star just means "Very good in category," after all
>>
>>9080006
I've heard it said that one-star restaurants simply very good, while two-star restaurants are superior.

Three-star are "Go out of your way to plan a vacation to go to this restaurant."

Of course, plenty of restaurants don't get starts. Michelin doesn't rate ones in L.A. for example, even though n/naka would easily be a three-star restaurant.
>>
>>9079993
Yea you're right. It isn't always that expensive, I was just relating my specific meal.

However, if you wanted to try the very best fishes from the best menus of the best restaurants, I'm sure most would go for the prix fixe or omkase menu, instead of a la carte lunch
>>
>>9080083
>Steamed egg, uni, ikura, shiso, micro green of some kind

It's not rocket science.
>>
I don't know how many of you dipshits have Netflix, but watch Chef's Table.
>>
>>9079924
I would spend $500 on a multi course meal if it was absolutely amazing. I'd probably do that once every few years.
>>
Pretentious shit that is in no way worth the money

Get me a steak bearnaise from my local french cafe for $25, it will beat whatever the hell you buy at a michellin star restaurant for $100+
>>
>>9080096
You're right, it's not. Fine dining, like many things people spend a lot of money on, is quite subjective.
>>
>>9080083
and even more restaurants are simply not mentioned at all, they only include "good" restaurants in their guide, so even being mentioned is pretty nice
>>
I've had the privilege to eat at a 3 star restaurant
simply fantastic, I don;t understand people on /ck/ who constantly undersell the importance of presentation as well quality preparation/ingredients
>>
>>9080124

i think spending an exorbitant amount of money on anime figurines or whatever other stupid shit people blow their money on is pointless.

i get that people don't get it.
>>
>>9079978
macarons
>>
>>9080172
yes, this was the one i was looking for. thank you
>>
>>9080104

all you eat is steak?

better steak preparations probably come on the tasting menus at these place FYI, poorfag
>>
>>9079924
how do I know if a restaurant is actually good or if it just has pretentious shit where you get a tiny piece of meat on a huge plate with foam on it?
>>
>>9080263
If it has a Michelin star, there's no risk of it being bad. The issue is self called "gastronomic" restaurants where you can indeed be disappointed
>>
>>9079830
It's not so much the difference between chain and Michelin star restaurants, just the difference between chain restaurants and proper restaurants. Anywhere with a focus on quality over turnover will blow your mind if you're not used to anything but chains.
>>
>>9079837
I literally can't imagine that, feels bad tbqhlgbtq+
>>
>>9080298
I saw that video in another of some euro fucker who got 2 stars for having you fry your own egg with some weeds. if I'm paying $400 for dinner I expect $400 worth of food, not some culinary emperor's new clothes shit.
>>
its good, ive only been to one star places. however i feel having the star sets the expectations unrealistically high. the ingredients were the best, the balance was great. its got clear professionalism. id like to go that $1.50 michelin star place next time

>>9079837
thats only 3 star though
>>
>>9080336
its amazing though, where else do you get the experience of cracking an egg?
>>
>>9080336

I find that dish patronising and style over substance too but stop doing the typical thing of ignoring the many other dishes you get for your money.
>>
>How does it compare to more expensive chain resturants like Olive garden, red lobster, ect?
It tastes good, for one
>>
>>9080710
all his other dishes looked like shit too
>>
>>9080336
>$400 worth of food,
you don't only pay for the good.. most part of the money will be for the cooking staff, waiters, wine, silverware ,fine plates, nice glasses, investment etc...

you pay for the experience
>>
>>9081511
This. Someone who thinks a several hundred dollar meal out should be several hundred dollars' worth of food shouldn't be eating out.
>>
>>9079934
So the entire culinary community kneels down before some tire company travel guides nobody reads? Why are they so cucked?
>>
>>9081511
>bunch of pretentious shit and overpaid assholes to pour your water for you while pontificating about how many fucking trace minerals it has

High end dining is the biggest scam ever devised and only buyer's remorse leads plebs to defend it on here.
>>
>>9081535
>High end dining is the biggest scam
nobody is forcing you to go eat in that kind of restaurants
>>
>>9081533

>nobody reads

Kek you are deluded
>>
File: 1497296700356.gif (3MB, 260x291px) Image search: [Google]
1497296700356.gif
3MB, 260x291px
>when you spend as much on the meal as you do a set of tires
>>
>>9081620
Where do they sell them at anyway? Gas stations? Do you know anyone who reads them? I don't. Don't you think the situation is kinda fucked? I mean imagine if academy awards were given by McDonalds or something. But that doesn't happen because the cinema community doesn't let themselves be cucked by a fast food company. So why does the culinary community let themselves get cucked by a tire company?
>>
>>9080336
I would like to see this video and other related videos. Does anyone have a link?
Thank you.
>>
>>9081714
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqDaZsgR5zg
>>
>>9081721
Much appreciated
>>
>>9081660

What do you mean cucked?

What is your problem with a tire company diversifying into travel guides and restaurant ratings?
>>
>>9081660
Yeah, imagine if a beer company became the foremost authority on world records.
>>
>>9081660
>Where do they sell them at anyway? Gas stations?
bookstores amazon, and they have a online database, a lot of people look online
> Do you know anyone who reads them?
yes
> I don't.
maybe you have bad frequentations...
> Don't you think the situation is kinda fucked? I mean imagine if academy awards were given by McDonalds or something. But that doesn't happen because the cinema community doesn't let themselves be cucked by a fast food company.
What is "product placement in movies " for 500$ alex....

So why does the culinary community let themselves get cucked by a tire company?

Because the guys who work for Michelin are former cooks or have a profound knowledge about cooking and gastronomie ... They do testing restaurants for over 100 years and have a high standart

they test anonymously ( not like other guides or 'food blogger') when a restaurant is supposed to receive a star, different tester eat there, not only one...
>>
>>9081660
Here's an article about it if your'e really interested:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160627064519/http://priceonomics.com:80/why-does-a-tire-company-publish-the-michelin-guide/
People are complaining that in recent years they've been too much restaurant guide and too little travel guide, but it's a fact that the guides are selling over 100 years in, and getting updated annually.
>>
Like buying Apple, if you're stupid enough it'll be pure bliss.
>>
File: dessert.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
dessert.webm
2MB, 640x360px
That will be 280$ plus 35% tip.
>>
>>9081757
World records are a bit of fun, few people make a living off setting records, most importantly they're objective so the authority doing the judging doesn't matter. Michelin stars shape the food industry the same way academy awards shape the film industry.
>>
>>9081828
without the wine....
>>
>>9081757
>Yeah, imagine if a beer company became the foremost authority on world records

WHAT

IT'S THE SAM EFUCKING COMPANY AER SYOU FUCKING KDDING ME
>>
>>9081828
for 280$ they better be spreading fucking coke on that table
>>
>>9081845
The Academy Awards are awarded by an organization created by and for the movie industry. The awards are little more than the industry conducting its own internal politics.
Meanwhile, the Michelin guides are run by an organization that's unrelated to the restaurant business. The guides can also afford to be impartial, since (unlike the average tour guide) they're generously funded independently from their ability to sell copies or solicit payments from local businesses or local governments.

It's a pretty sweet deal for the field of restaurant appraisal.
>>
>>9081919
I'm not against the Michelin guide, just pointing out how it's not the same as Guinness world records. Besides, you do have independent organizations that award the best restaurants in an area or country or region or cuisine. I think michelin guides are only reliable for French (or mediterranean) and modernist cuisine.
>>
>>9081863
It used to be. They sold the publishing subsidiary in 2001.
>>
I was fortunate enough to have dinner at The French Laundry a couple of years ago and would recommend that people with enough disposable income should treat themselves to an extremely fancy dinner at least once or twice in their lives. There's something surreal about knowing that the food you will eat at your dinner is supposedly some of the best food on Earth. All of your attention while eating is focused on the flavors and how the dish feels in your mouth, which is something that doesn't happen when I cook a typical weekday dinner.

The food was incredible and the service nonpareil. The price is exorbant but considering the amount of incredibly stupid-seeming decisions made by these high-end restaurants (only sourcing butter from a single woman who has four cows in an Irish pasteur for example), I could see where some of the money is spent. I bet the price is also high to keep out the riff-raff, kinda how airlines used to be a luxury and now they're basically public transit
>>
>>9080336
It was a duck egg though and he picked the weeds from the forest.

>cheap ass cracker
>>
>>9081828
Those guys looked like fucking hacks compared to every other restaurant on that show
>>
>tfw no bib gourmand restaurants nearby
>>
>>9079924

Adding to that.

>Personalized PR teams that sends personal notes of courtesy to you for dining at their place
>Top of the line service, the waiters are extremely polite, well informed and don't need to go back to the kitchen to ask questions for the chef.
>>
I've been to a 1-star Michelin restaurant.

It was pretty good for its cuisine.
>>
>>9083527
k
>>
>>9083511
Quality of service doesn't affect star ratings. The couvert (knife-and-fork) is what rates service and ambiance.
>>
>>9080263
Yelp, pictures don't lie. If it looks like a tiny piece of meat with foam on it served on a shovel it probably is.
>>
>>9081535
High end dining is a genuinely pleasant luxury and only sour grapes leads plebs to shit on it here.
>>
>>9080099
turned that pile of shit off after 20 mins because of how fucking boring it was; worst show on netflix, not even joking. Literally eyes bleeding boring as fuck.
>>
>>9083891
That show is magical. You're just an uncultured swine
>>
Going to be eating at Le Gavroche, and maybe Ledbury (on waiting list) next week in London. Anyone been to either?

>>9083131
>I bet the price is also high to keep out the riff-raff, kinda how airlines used to be a luxury and now they're basically public transit
There is some of that probably. Jackets required/Smart dress and No Children Under 12 are other helpful clauses. Not all the Michelin Star restaurants are expensive though, I've been to a number that are reasonable. Also sometimes they have lunch menus.
>>
File: Pony and Trap.png (447KB, 2446x1254px) Image search: [Google]
Pony and Trap.png
447KB, 2446x1254px
>>9079838
Nah famalamamama.

Some are super expensive, but that doesn't automatically mean they all are.
>>
>>9085230
Christ that's inexpensive as hell! Shit restaurants in the US charge more than that.
>>
Look at this man faggots.
2 dollars for a Michelin star meal.
This man is cool. Be like this man.
>>
>>9085572
He wised up, there are real locations now.
>>
File: 4096.jpg (50KB, 645x387px) Image search: [Google]
4096.jpg
50KB, 645x387px
LOOK AT HIM.
His name is chang hong menKong and he rightfully deserves to be the hero that /ck/ needs
>>
>>9085594
The prices are still cheaper than mcdonalds
>>
>>9085600
the food isn't that good, he can't push it
>>
>>9085506
Yup. I've been to chain pubs that cost more.

Also those little Scotch Eggs are great, and the 40 day aged steak is the best steak I have ever eaten.
>>
>>9083891
>>9085199
I thought it was boring too

I like mind of a chef
>>
>>9081828
Dafuq am I looking at.
>>
>>9085230
You can have lunch at l'Atelier Étoile if Joël Robuchon in Paris.
45euros per person without wine for a 2michelin star on the Champs Elysées right next to the Arc de Triomphe.
Many one star restaurants have normal pricing.
Of course some pretentious douchebags charge several hundreds of dollars for a few drops of foam on gigantic plates but it's not necessarily the norm.
>>
File: pretentious.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
pretentious.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>9085851
Culinary art.
>>
>>9085872
Are you trying to tell me that isn't extremely impressive plating?
>>
>>9085865
Nope. I think /ck/ have some very strange ideas about what a Michelin restaurant is actually like. And I get it, because it has a mystique attached and a lot of people are scared of going somewhere so "posh".
>>
>>9083549
How many *** places have no forks and spoons
>>
>>9085872
>>9085898
It doesn't look pretentious to me, just careful, which is an admirable quality. Clearly this chef knows exactly what they want you to get in each bite, and how much of it. Isn't that what food is about? Texture and flavor?
>>
>>9085992

I have to vouch for this. Its all about making the most of handpicked ingedrients sourced directly and out of your own wallet. Chefs buy their own knifes so I am not surprised if they have some personally purchased spices and privately sourced fish you cant just ask a wholesaler to get you
>>
>>9085872
This webm is pretty impressive.
The first one with the dressing on the table.on the other hand surprised me.
Yes the gestures and dressage were very impressive and technical too... But how the fuck are you supposed to eat it?
It looked unnecessary and pretentious to me, while the dishes in your second post just brought saliva to my mouth.
>>
>>9086527

Down in one bite or two. Its kind of like how you sample food or having tapas
>>
>>9086564

Looking at the first item it was ceviche so yes they are enjoyed like Tapas
>>
>>9086527

Why do people keep asking how to eat the alinea table dessert thing? It's just a flat surface like a plate, what's the problem?
>>
>>9086527
>It looked unnecessary and pretentious to me

Normies complain about Alinea turning their tables into dessert for being unnecessary but probably go nuts for dumb uninspired overly flashy shit like onion volcanos at hibachi grills.
>>
Would be wasted on me since I eat so fast. Might be able to control it for the first couple courses but I would eventually forget and start wolfing those tiny portions down.
>>
>>9085808
Mind of a cheff 1st sea son is the shiet. I liked cheffs table bit mind of a cheff takes the price.
>>
>>9086076
Chefs buy their own knives because they keep their own tools when they change jobs, same as any other tradesman. Buying ingredients with your own money doesn't make sense.

>>9085962
I believe every restaurant in the Guide has at least one.
>>
>>9087118
>>>/alc/
>>
>>9080104
WRONG, unless you dont really care about food. Food is a fundamental part of the human experience. Its in the same category as breathing, love, and sex. Its about the experience, the skill, the care, the ingredients, and the refined insane taste. If you don't like eating or cant respect fine culinary ingredients, fine wines or fine cigars or fine watches or fine anything then I feel sorry for you. Anyone can get a great meal at a fraction of the price, you can even make great meals at home. Every single ingredient in a 3 star Michelin restaurant is treated with the utmost care and with thought and reason behind it existing on the plate. Dining at those kinds of restaurants are life experiences and the food itself is only probably a third of the whole experience.
>>
>>9081721
I laugh every time
>>
>>9081721
>>9081729
>>9080336
>>9080710

I think its cool. I like the idea of it, and i like the wild plants the experience you get from the smell of the hay and the egg frying in front of you. Also an experience for the table to interacts and try new things. Its not dumb, its an experience and if you are too lame to see that then you can keep eating at Applebees and they will cook the eggs and frozen broccoli for you. Realize to get more than 1 michelin star you have to have something more than good food. Its part of the experience. You dont see how its cool that the head chef went out and picked wild in season veggies you have never eaten?
>>
>>9087350

>You dont see how its cool that the head chef went out and picked wild in season veggies you have never eaten?

that's the entire concept of the restaurant, it doesn't make every dish concept worthwhile
>>
>>9087367
If you guys are so good at innovating michelin tier dishes you should open your own restaurant.
>>
>>9087373

if i don't get to criticise it because i don't run my own starred restaurant, why do you get to praise it?
>>
>>9087272

Not everything. Maybe a cut of meat that he sources directly from the farm or hunting lodge, a farming coop where he dig (Figuratively and the literally) the crops grown or foraged there. Places that sources directly vs saputo or gfs subsidiaries.

Sometimes a local restauranteur may offer to sell their own sourced ingredients to the chef as tipping and that is much more impressive when you give them quality cooking ingredients
>>
>>9087384
Because it's not as easy as it looks to come up with the aromas and flavors of that dish that complement each other or to present it in a way that is an experience not just a plate of food. Do you hate on Korean BBQ too because you have to cook it yourself?
>>
>>9087542

>Because it's not as easy as it looks to come up with the aromas and flavors of that dish that complement each other or to present it in a way that is an experience not just a plate of food

that's all very well, but why do you have to be an expert in order to criticise something if you don't have to be an expert in order to praise it?
>>
>>9087501
They'll still fucking buy it with the restaurant's cash or credit card. No chef will spend his own salary on ingredients.
>>
Could a stake house get a star? Or is it just pretentious food?
>>
>>9081828
this is my fave michellin blog, it is in german though.

This guy, however, spends crazy amounts of resources on this stuff, travelling, just to eat, etc.

And the number one thing he focuses on is product quality. I have been in a one star restaurant once or twice in my life and even those just served stuff of a quality you simply can´t GET anywhere. The cooking aside, even.
>>
>>9088498
forgot the link http://www.troisetoiles.de/
>>
File: laughing jezza.gif (473KB, 297x212px) Image search: [Google]
laughing jezza.gif
473KB, 297x212px
>>9079830
>This entire thread
Kek, is America beyond (culinary) saving?

Eating at a Michelin Star restaurant means that you don't have to think about what you are going to eat because it's going to be amazing anyway. Even ingredients that you don't like will be used in such a way that it creates a beautiful dish. The wine will be great, the service will be great, the atmosphere of the restaurant will be great; it's one big experience.
>Muh small portions
You eat a series of dishes (6-∞) so you will never leave hungry.

>>9087795
If the said steakhouse brings something new to the table they might. If they just grill slabs of beef like every other steakhouse ever they probably won't.
>>
>>9088540
Michellin restaurants in the US are heavily concentrated in the centers of metro areas, they're not spread out like in Europe. These restaurants are less common to come across and when you do the prices are rather exorbitant so it brings a certain stigma from most of the flyover staters that frequent the board. Historically it makes sense but some of the stigma stars have here is deserved.
>>
>>9087795
Yeah, any 'genre' restaurant can earn a single star for exceptional quality. For two or three, though, you pretty much have to be experimental/progressive.
>>
>>9088728

It's not outside the bounds of possibility to earn 3 stars with a traditional format restaurant serving simple food, think of sushi restaurants. There is a lot you can do with a cow to produce a world class steak so i think there's scope to be considered progressive
>>
>>9087795
Yes, a simple steakhouse can get a star, for example, Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn. They serve french fries and onion rings... along with custom dry-aged prime beef.

https://peterluger.com/menu/
>>
I also really don´t get this adjective "pretentious". what is it "pretending" to be?
>>
>>9089057
Better than it actually is.
Like how Hyacinth pretends she's upper class when she's really lower middle class.
She's being pretentious.
>>
>>9079837
>Imagine food so good it's worth driving thousands of kilometers to have.

Michelin food is literally the designer handbag of cooking
x10 the money for virtually no benefit, other than the fact that you can use it to brag to other pretentious faggots that you eat at a Michelin starred restaurant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqDaZsgR5zg
>>
>>9089065
But measured by what standard?

If Michelin starred food is its own THING, then it can´t pretend to be itself, can it?

Unless you want to argue, that there are no fundamentally qualitative differences between a 13 course tasting menu and a 3 course dinner at a steakhouse, even the best in the world.

There might be foods that try to pretend to achieve that effect, and for those I agree the label is valuable. But not for the idea of the thing itself.
>>
>>9089078
What is your issue with this? Apart from the context of a meal at NOMA, if this would be the single best egg dish I have eaten in my life, why should it not be expensive. It would serve as a good benchmark against all the other hundreds of eggs we eat every year.
>>
>>9085872
wtf is that pepto bismol looking stuff?
>>
>>9089102
A lot of people can't comprehend that the chefs at these restaurants obsess about food in the same way that addicts obsess over cocaine.

In that video, the chef even specifies that it is a WILD duck egg. Those guys walk around in the woods (and around some pond / river for the eggs) gathering a selected assortment of items so that their guests can have a taste of nature specific to that location.

Some people don't think that they should pay for people for that effort. That is why, for them, it is the McChicken, and other fast food.
>>
>>9089236
good, then, that there are both McDonalds or NOMA´s... although no really NOMA anymore, haha
>>
>>9089078
>le noma egg
>le alinea table dessert
Lets face it, the only reason you posted either of these two inevitable meme dishes is that you might get a few sympathetic responses from your reductionist sour grapes bullshit. Many starred restaurants are extremely reasonably priced, particularly prix fixe lunch menus.
>>
>>9089236
>In that video, the chef even specifies that it is a WILD duck egg. Those guys walk around in the woods (and around some pond / river for the eggs) gathering a selected assortment of items so that their guests can have a taste of nature specific to that location.

you sound like the kind of sucker who is willing to pay extra just because there's "free range" or "organic" on the packaging.

This the problem I have with expensive restaurant, especially meme restaurant like Noma. cause they KNOW they get away with selling you literal shit while you impose "appeal to authority" fallacy on yourself.

The fact that you don't even dare to question them really show how tightly they got you by the ball.
>>
>>9089305

I doubt NOMA ever made much money... They had a chef for every seat... granted, a lot of them were stages who prolly worked for fuck all, but still. there is a reason why all of these star chefs NEED TV and book deals. Not everything is just about more or less shekels.
>>
>>9089305
>especially meme restaurant like Noma
>meme
I can only surmise that you think that a meme is the same as a fad.
You realize that you're a fucking idiot?
>>
>>9089236
I second that
My chef is obsessed by picking things in the wild
Last week I spent 4 hours picking a fuckton of chamomile for his herbal teas, nettles and mead wort for his deserts
>>
>>9087625
>They'll still fucking buy it with the restaurant's cash or credit card. No chef will spend his own salary on ingredients.

Do you know what a Chef-Patron is?
>>
>>9088540
>You eat a series of dishes (6-∞)

Not every meal at a Michelin restaurant requires you to order the tasting menu.
>>
>>9089078
>x10 the money

Nope.

>for virtually no benefit

Nah.
>>
>>9089313
>I doubt NOMA ever made much money
are you fucking serious right now ?
It's 300 euro per person.
and they have what ? 20-30 seats ?
a full course meal took 1 hours top and they work 8 hours a day
do the math yourself.

>>9089318
>I can only surmise that you think that a meme is the same as a fad.
Meme restaurant are those at the forefront of bullshitting their customer, using modern-art tier shit like muh molecular gastronomy, muh plating and muh experience.
>>
>>9089322
Actually I can elaborate on the whole michelin deal as my chef has a 1 star restaurant (as stated before he's all about picking, and also vegetables and northern France and Belgian culture)
I've worked on matured, smoked wild pidgeon, baby goats, 24h slow cooked free range lamb. Last morning I genocided 30 lobsters. Working in a michelin starred restaurant is an absolute fucking delight. I eat REALLY amazing food everyday

I'll try to come back to this thread if anyone's interested at all and also if I don't die drunk in a ditch after tonight (last shift and beers with the crew tonight)

drunk rambling over
>>
michillin star resturants are the equivalent to white flight. youre paying for food that comes from the same place but skyrocketed prices to filter out minorities or "bad" people.

i can go to walmart and get a streak for like 5 bucks and take it home to slice it and put a mini torch over it with wine drizzled artfully over it. it didnt cost me 90 dollars plus tip.
>>
>>9089354
please open a restaurant with your lives savings...
Even paying the fucking TAXES and INSURANCES for 40 to 50 people is a lot.

And keep in mind this is in DENMARK, where taxes are among the highest in capitalist societies.

Let alone what the fuck paying someone to go collect wild duck eggs and a plethora of other weird ingredients would cost. Plus rent... plus setting up a fucking restaurant like that in terms of initial investments...

EL Bulli used to be short a million euro every year they were in service...
>>
>>9089065
>Like how Hyacinth pretends she's upper class when she's really lower middle class.
What a reference.
>>
>>9089354
>All the money paid is pure profit.

Yeah we can all do math. You seem to have missed a few subtractions or a thousand in yours though.
>>
>>9089367
>youre paying for food that comes from the same place

No.

>but skyrocketed prices

Nope.
>>
>>9089236
What's so great about it being from a wild duck that can't be provided by any old duck that isn't raised in factory farm conditions?
>>
>>9089405
probably the food it eats translates to its own flavor and that of its eggs. Also the duck flavor itself might be subject to the amount and way it moves.
>>
>>9089305
Nope, I don't buy organic or free range stuff.
I just appreciate that chef's at places like Noma go through a lot of effort to create a 4 hour eating experience. I am a free-market guy. Some people want to pay for an eating experience whereas you like it when your mother brings you tendies.

Also, quit using reddit spacing, faggot.
>>
>>9089405
>What's so great about it being from a wild duck that can't be provided by any old duck

If you don't know, we can't explain it to you. Like literally, how can I explain the difference in taste via. a post on a Haitian knitting forum?
>>
I've had the honor to dine at a 2 michelin restaurant in my early 20s with my friends family.
It was a spiritual moment on that first bite.
>>
>>9089367
That $5 steak at Walmart will also be USDA Select with no marbling and was wet aged in a bag for 3 weeks.
The steak at a Michelin star rated restaurant will be something more like specially selected USDA Prime primals that have been dry aged in very specific conditions for 48 days.
Just because you have plebeian tastebuds, it doesn't mean that others a dumb.
>>
>>9089367
Most of the food at the 2 star and 3 star places you have absolutely zero access to unless you yourself own an upscale restaurant.
>>
>>9089209

Beet/red vegetable puree.
>>
>>9089468
That may be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on /ck/. If you have a garden and harvest your vegetables or forage and prepare them that day, you've exceeded memestar quality. If you have backyard fowl, cure your own meat, hunt, etc. you've beaten their ass into the fucking ground in terms of quality of ingredients. The difference is trying to make it something Sally Trophina and her nouveau riche target, Sly Streetor, will be able to say this shows why we're superior and allow Sally to get hot because she caught a glimpse of Slip Scrimshod, the latest reality star.

It's the difference between the bullshit 18th century pretentious French court dishes and the much better provincial foods.
>>
>>9089833
What does becoming a gardener have to do with a lack of access to high quality proteins.
>>
>>9088540
>(6-∞)

Woah

You're telling me you can have a meal there in which the number of dishes is a divergent series?

Imagine 3,000 years later you're still sitting there eating some kind of nutrient tablet
>>
>>9089859
High quality proteins were mentioned in my post, silly boy.
>>
>>9085872
That's really pretty though. Not my cup of tea, but I can see why someone would be into this kind of presentation.
>>
>>9088644
There's exceptions to that. Close to where I lived in Virginia there's a two Michelin star restaurant that's sort of in the middle of nowhere about 70 miles outside of DC.
>>
I'm looking at the list of Michelin stared restaurants and this "robuchon" dude/thing keeps on popping up

What gives? Who/what is it?
>>
File: 1495516030333.png (428KB, 720x719px) Image search: [Google]
1495516030333.png
428KB, 720x719px
>>9080104
I have never been to a French restraunt and I live in LA. are there any good ones? my parents talk about the ones that they went to in the 80-90s

there is a french cafe that IS nice at the old bakery in la. that big one that used to sell it in trucks back in the 40s. does anyone know what im talking about? blue trucks that deliver bread? they turned the mega bakery into a fancy urban center with hip shit somewhere in LA i forgot where.
>>
>>9090294
Also are there really no french restraunts in LA because the michigan guide won't rate LA because it would ruin their entire scale because LA is the best place on earth because of the food they make? how everyone in the world moves here, the best of the best?
>>
>>9089326
Unless the restaurant is a sole proprietorship the chef-patron IS STILL GOING TO SPEND CORPORATE MONEY FOR CORPORATE EXPENSES
>>
>>9089236
>That is why, for them, it is the McChicken, and other fast food.
Why do all you pretentious faggots read your arguments from the same script? Why do you think that there is no middle ground between fast food and overpriced, Emperor's-New-Clothes wankery like this? Why are you so dead-set on justifying your bad spending habits that you are willing to forget that ACTUAL restaurants exist which provide the customer with what they paid for, instead of frozen seawater and rocks on a plate, rotten carrots with lawnmower sauce, and all the other gimmicky horseshit this guy is doing?

You're the one who's dumb enough to fall for it, mate. We're not "uncultured" just because McDonalds unironically provides a better value.
>>
>>9090318
Stop making me homesick you fuck.
>>
>>9080083
why doesn't Michelin rate restaurants in LA?
>>
>>9091045
>Why do all you pretentious faggots read your arguments from the same script? Why do you think that there is no middle
ground between fast food and overpriced, Emperor's-New-Clothes wankery like this?
The original poster in the reply chain essentially stated this.
>Why are you so dead-set on justifying your bad spending habits that you are willing to forget that ACTUAL restaurants exist which provide the customer with what they paid for, instead of frozen seawater and rocks on a plate, rotten carrots with lawnmower sauce, and all the other gimmicky horseshit this guy is doing?
If you don't like the idea or the application, fair enough, but it's an attractive ethos to many. It's dishonest of you to call chamomile and sorrel "lawn clippings" and if the carrot didn't work I doubt that it would be used.
>You're the one who's dumb enough to fall for it, mate. We're not "uncultured" just because McDonalds unironically provides a better value.
A BMW 6 series mightn't be 10 times better than a Mitsubishi Lancer but it will still be better, subjectively good value or not.
>>
>>9091180
They're being shunned for abusing the avocado.
>>
>>9090214
I wish google was a thing
>>
>>9090938
>Unless the restaurant is a sole proprietorship

There are lots that are.
>>
>>9083891
Literal subhuman bottom feeder scum
>>
>>9080104
If you like steaks, sure, any steakhouse is enough to have good food.
But you wouldn't say a 25$ steak is the same as a 5$ one, right? Only people with no sense of taste and texture would say that (but for them, no point in spending more than 5$ for a steak).
It's the same thing with Michelin starred restaurants. It's 150$ for the menu, and worth it in quality and service. Not everyone can appreciate it, of course. Just let them vent their jealousy on Congolese mud body painting forums while you enjoy your meal.

I go there like once every other year on average, as a birthday present or similar occasion.

>>9080263
Those pictures are of a 7 or 13 dishes menu. Of course they are 7 or 13 times smaller, but at the end you've eaten enough.

>>9080336
>For 400$ I want 50 fucking pounds of fat and sugar
Go to an all-you-can-eat buffet then.

>>9080345
3 stars is the maximum.

>>9081660
>Do you know anyone who reads them?
I do. You come from a MacD tier social class, it's not your fault you can't begin to understand how things works among civilised people.
>inb4 you're pissed when realising you're basically a negro from the nigger ghetto.

>>9089078
>virtually no benefit
Again, your nigger tongue can't into the hen's anus.

>>9089088
Indeed, they use the word incorrectly. Or confuse Michelin starred restaurants with these hipster places that serves food on skateboard and dog bowl or whatever.
>>
>>9089361
I'd read your tales, drunkanon.
>>
>>9092275

>But you wouldn't say a 25$ steak is the same as a 5$ one, right? Only people with no sense of taste and texture would say that (but for them, no point in spending more than 5$ for a steak).

depends on if they're the same steak or not.

are you retarded? price is not pegged to quality.
>>
>>9092285
I should have added "assuming price is related to quality"
>>
>>9092296

that assumption is at the heart of the argument isn't it. the anon you are responding to seems to think it's faulty.
>>
American restaurants have all bribed Michelin to get it's 3 star ratings. The reality is that the US meat and ingredients that Americans use in all of their "fine" dining establishments are so inferior to those used in Europe and Japan that a 3 star restaurant in the USA would be the equivalent of a 1 star restaurant in europe.
>>
>>9079951
No shit? Huh. The more you know.
>>
>>9079924
>but I've had braised pork belly that was crackling on top, crispy underneath, velvet smooth fat, and tender meat, in one bite

You could literally make that home by following a recipe online, made by people who also cook for a living. You can still get textures from home cooking without having to pay hundreds, or convincing yourself it can't be found anywhere else but these places.

Jesus I don't even mind paying a lot for a dining experience but I'm so sick of people thinking chefs are some kind of gatekeepers to massive kitchen secrets. They're not.
>>
>>9091180
They used to, but it ended up not being worth it or something. Not enough people bought the guides there or something like that.

Which means that there are tons of restaurants in minor cities all around the world that could easily compete with the 3-star restaurants, they just get overlooked due to being in towns not known for fine dining.
>>
>>9092503

the main thing you pay for at a michelin restaurant is some spotty 16 year old passing stuff through a sieve for 14 hours
>>
>>9092503
Yeah, sure, obviously you could replicate the food yourself if you too had the culinary skill of a michelin starred chef. Maybe you do, but that's what the rest of us pay for.
>>
Chefs and fine dining is important since they create trends that trickle down into everyday society. Do you think you could easily find a simple shallot in a supermarket in the 90's?
It wasn't until people saw it on "Great Chefs" on PBS and started asking for it. Same thing happens today.
>>
>>9092552

you know you can acquire that skill.
>>
>>9091045
Because this thread is not about that. It is about the kings class of food, therefore any discussion about even very good restaurants is whataboutism.

I spend WAY more money in "normal" restaurants than I do in michellin starred ones, simply because for 300 EUR I can get maybe 5 or 6 meals rather than one. That does not mean, I can not appreciate the odd one out in one of the establishments discussed here.
>>
>>9092503
Most people do no want to spend 8+ or however many hours to make ONE element of what in one of these restaurants might well be part of a 14 course, multi component meal.

hell, most people wouldn´t even bother with something "reasonably" doable like Heston Blumenthals bolognese, and that is not a 3 star dis:
>>
>>9092552
Half of the money is wasted on wankery like this >>9085872 and this >>9081828

Imagine if McDonald charge you an extra 2 dollar to disassemble your burger on a dish.
Michelin starred chef spend more effort placing a flower you can't eat with a tweezer than the food itself. The content of the dish is the same yet some how spreading 3 line of sauce at specific locations cost an $50 extra.
It's bullshit.
>>
>>9092596

you are exaggerating the average amount of work that goes into a given michelin dish. only a few types of components really take a long time and they're usually hands off.

>>9092642

don't be a fag. you aren't being overcharged for the presentation.
>>
>>9092658
of course, there are going to be differences in time and effort per dish, however, as mentioned before these are not the only factors.

The other important ones are product quality, which in the two and especially three starred places tend to be 95 % inaccessible to even people like me who love, and spent a lot of my money on food, and, it would be stupid to dismiss it, skill, precision and equipment. I do not have a steam vac, let alone several. I do not have access to all of their homemade stocks, broths, demiglaces and whatever else.

And even here there are going to be a lot of factor missing.

Not saying you can not make a fantastic meal at home, but unless you are Hannibal fucking Lecter, it will not be the same KIND of experience.
>>
>>9092658
I think it would be interesting to have a series of two comparable dishes, both presented exactly the same way to people familiar with Michelin restaurants, yet one prepared by a michelin restaurant and the other prepared by a decent restaurant. I'd be willing to bet the results will be inconclusive as to which is preferred.
>>
>>9092704
but that´s the thing, comparable dishes... do you think most people could even COOK this weird shit? https://www.andyhayler.com/restaurant/pierre-gagnaire
>>
>>9092704

michelin places earn their stars for being excellent in every category and consistent with it. a decent restaurant could pull it out of the bag for one dish but that doesn't mean it deserves a star.
>>
>>9092761
My point to the test was a series of dishes that in terms of flavor would not conclusively be preferred by a person who occasionally frequents michelin starred restaurants. This indicates to me, if my hypothesis is correct about indistinguishability in food quality, the star represents intangible, image and status oriented externals not relevant to the food itself. Those might be important for some types of people, while for others they are meaningless or even downright negative.
>>
>>9091747
No there aren't. It would be financial suicide. Restaurants fail constantly, even with talented and experienced chefs.

A sole proprietorship would leave the chef bankrupt in case of failure, personally liable for any incidents (such as a patron slipping on the floor and breaking a bone), and would complicate the payment of staff and expenses.
>>
>>9092275
>3 stars is the maximum.
He's saying that of the category of Michelin starred restaurants, only three-star restaurants are worth travelling for.
>>
>>9093025
Restaurant fail just the same regardless if they are SPs, partnerships, corporations, LLCs, etc.

>>A sole proprietorship would leave the chef bankrupt in case of failure
It's entirely possible for a business to fail without bankruptcy being involved.

>> liable for any incidents
That's what insurance is for, any any restaurant will have that.

>>and would complicate the payment of staff and expenses.
As someone who has owned and operated sole proprietorships, partnerships, and LLCs (just not in the food business) this is outright bullshit. It's no more or less difficult to cut paychecks for any of those systems. In fact, sole proprietorships require the least amount of paperwork and legal hassles compared to other business types.
>>
>>9093039
Show me one restaurant organized as a sole proprietorship that's bigger than a hot dog stand.
>>
>>9079830
It's pretty good, but perhaps not worth the price. Plus a lot of the gimmicks are just a bit tiresome. I'd rather put the money towards getting good ingredients and doing it myself.
>>
its like a different kind of good food to a really good burger or something, its usually very very balanced in every way, texture, flavour, colour

the quality of the ingredients is really the difference, the last time i ws at a really fancy resteraunt the complementary salad was in and of itsself a fucking masterpeice
>>
>>9079924
i don't think its technically a michelin star but my go to really fancy place is this

http://uchiaustin.com/

if you get the vegan tasting menu between 2 people, which is just as good if not better than the meat one, its like $35 per person
>>
>>9092503
If you think you're capable of matching or exceeding the quality, open your own restaurant.

>in b4 Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares
>>
>>9093060
>Bryn Dwyfor Williams is the head chef and sole proprietor of Odette's Restaurant, Primrose Hill, London.
>Richard Bainbridge at Benedicts on St Benedicts Street, Norwich.

Two straight off the top of my head.
>>
>>9079830
>more expensive chain resturants like Olive garden, red lobster
hhhhhehehe
>>
>>9085872
>every single thing drowned in some kind of liquid

why even bother
>>
Normies, serving food in plates and bowls.
>>
>>9093060
I just don't think that guy understands what a sole proprietorship is. Or liability for that matter. Restaurants have large initial costs and have to hit pretty rigid sales benchmarks on a weekly basis or food goes to waste with no roi. Maybe ten years down the line a restaurant could fail without bankruptcy, but I knew a guy in New Orleans whose job it was to sell kitchen equipment and finance it then wait for the business to inevitably fail and resell the same equipment while collecting on the loan even after the same freezer had been sold four more times. If you can just cover out of pocket the million and a half dollars or so it takes to start a restaurant then sure bankruptcy isn't really an issue, but how common is that?
>>
>>9093516

what if

get this

he doesn't want to
>>
>>9093672
Then it's just an unsubstantiated opinions and I don't care for it.

I can claim to be superman but that doesn't mean it's true.
>>
>>9079924
ohh man u made me hungry
>>
>>9085872
i would love to eat this food and have the whole experience but you gotta admit using tweezers to place little leaves of shit is fucking wankery
>>
>>9092998

'flavour' and 'food quality' is a fragile conflation. i fucking love an egg and tomato sandwich in the morning, even a pretty shit one, and i honestly don't think you could do anything that would beat it in that subjective context from a flavour standpoint. it's not a high quality food by any stretch of the imagination, but it has great flavour.

i don't think food reviewers generally focus on the 'flavour' of what they're eating. it's not hard to make something that tastes good, and there is no objective system to evaluate the flavour of one thing over another outside of things like seasoning or intensity or whatever.

you don't go to a michelin restaurant for nice flavour. obviously everything there has to taste good, but that's equally true of any other tier of restaurant unless you're in a really impoverished culture.

i don't think proving that michelin restaurants aren't always significantly superior in terms of flavour directly indicates that their value and accolades come from status judgements. if you think presentation is only about status, mere packaging, you don't understand the art of it. if you think there's no value in the elaborate processes of making super smooth purees, super rich sauces, delicate garniture and precise structures on the plate outside of status, you're missing a significant aspect of the experience.

it also needs to be acknowledged that michelin stars do take into account quality of service, wine selection and other shit like that. these things might not push your buttons but they do distinguish one restaurant from another and so a definitive restaurant guide needs to reflect that.
>>
>>9086076
you actually believe chefs go out and spend personal money on... ingredients? to go on dishes that the restaraunt sells?

are you fucking stupid?

someone tell me this is meta-irony and that there isn't someone this autistic out there posting on 4chan
>>
>>9093679

being superman is a lot less easy than cooking some good pork belly you pleb. it is easy to learn to cook a good meal. there are resources all over the place and it's easy as fuck to literally walk into a restaurant, volunteer for a day and learn the secret. cooking one dish or component of a dish is the scientific part of cooking. the art comes in inventing and modifying your own stuff and then organising a kitchen around cooking it in accordance with your vision. that's what you pay for when you go to a fancy restaurant. not just some good pork belly, which yes, anyone can do, even you, you fucktard.
>>
>>9093733
>I have no idea how the Michelin rating system works: The post
>>
File: bless.jpg (17KB, 225x354px) Image search: [Google]
bless.jpg
17KB, 225x354px
>>9093747
>I can cook pork belly good
>I Michelin now

Sure okay.
>>
>>9093733
>michelin stars do take into account quality of service, wine selection and other shit like that
They do not. Service is scored by the couverts, not by stars; wine selection has its own symbol.

See >>9083549
>>
>>9093752

>i have no valuable input and can't articulate my objections: the post

>>9093757

no one said they were michelin. no one in this thread have said they're at a michelin level. I worked in a michelin restaurant so i know a bit about it but i didn't get the star and never claimed to ya pringus.
>>
>>9093760

my mistake, i thought they were rolled into the star system.
>>
>>9093763
>i have no valuable input and can't articulate my objections: the post

My objection is that you don't even bother to understand the Michelin rating system. Your ranting and raving is based on whatever you've invented in your head. I thought that was fairly fucking clear; do I need to use smaller words?
>>
>>9093801

thanks for proving my point anon.
>>
>>9093824
You even admit you don't understand it in >>9093773 you fucking mong. Just leave.
>>
>>9093838

i have the balls to admit i made a mistake, yes. you should be able to admit the mistake was not my main point and doesn't undermine the entire post.
>>
>>9093846
>I wibbled and moaned about something I didn't understand, and I admit I don't understand it, but you should refute my entire baseless complaint because wibble wibble.

m00t was right; Australians are the fucking worst.
>>
>>9093860

what complaint?
>>
I've eaten at eleven Madison park (3*) and a 2* yakitori joint in NYC. The gap between a 2 star and 3 is pretty big but EMP can be considered in a league of its own, it was best restaurant in the world (San Pellegrino) this year.

In Tokyo I've been to 2 2* edomae style sushi places and I have to admit it's not for me. (The sushi style). I'd like to try narisawa one day.

Recently DC got Michelin stars (only 1s and 2s) but I've been to most of the places and the 2s are mostly well earned but some of them should be 1 or below.
>>
File: the excellence.jpg (41KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
the excellence.jpg
41KB, 680x1020px
>>9081828
>can convince rich people to eat like dogs straight off the table
I have been inspired
>>
>>9092998
it doesnt have to do with status there are a few reasonably priced places.
>>
>>9085898
>that isn't extremely impressive plating
It is. However this is FOOD we're talking about here. So the main question on my mind is, does it taste good?
>>
>>9085898

i don't think it's impressive at all, although i like the dirty look on the pink soupy dessert.
>>
>>9094987
I would assume someone putting that much effort into plating would have been invested in the taste as well. Nobody deconstructs a White Castle slider and puts foam on top of it except maybe hipsters.
>>
>>9095174

>I would assume someone putting that much effort into plating would have been invested in the taste as well

and that's how they get ya
>>
>>9094067
What filthy clan shanty town of inbreds do you live in where dogs eat off the table?
>>
I was in Singapore recently and went to the world's cheapest Michelin starred restaurant. I got their $3.80 meal which is a soya chicken and rice. I got take out and nuked it when I got back to my hostel. It was not even top-3 food I had in Singapore in my 4 days there.
>>
>>9095340
/ck/
>>
>>9095351
Singapore is fucking amazing. Whether Marina Bay Sands or hawker centers; there's just too fucking much to make a quick choice.
>>
Wait, there are ADULTS who eat these toy meals? Do they come with complementary lego and autism spinners so you can distract yourself while waiting?
>>
>>9079830
It isn't just about the food but the experience as a whole. You sit down and the first thing you get is some well thought of inbetweeners before you even order your drinks or get the menu card.

Even if you have a 5 or 7 course meal you also get food in between so you spend about 3 hours or longer eating.

They take care of everything, if you leave your napkin lying around and head to the bathroom it will be folded up by the time you get back. I once had that they put a crutch under my purse so it wouldn't be on the floor and I hadn't even noticed it.

The food is small amount wise but it is flavor that counts and that is very well thought through. Preps are sometimes quite complex.

Even if you have a some tea after, they go all out.

You aren't overly stuffed when you finish eating. Though I enjoy the food it isn't something I would like to do occasionally. There is so much glamour and etiquette that it can make you puke.

>>9079874
Why is it white when tires are black??
>>
>>9095499
I don't know about you but I normally dine with company.
>>
>>9095538
>Why is it white when tires are black??
that's fat, not tires
>>
>>9079830
Not all Michelin restaurants are particularly expensive, I live in London and the majority here are often around the same or even cheaper than your standard shit restaurants, tourist traps here charge a fortune for shit

Also the food is generally very good, they have Michelin stars for a reason, usually you have difficulty getting in as bookings are weeks in advance but the price isn't usually a huge problem for your average Joe
>>
>>9079874
All Michelin star dishes contain rubber
>>
>>9087315
I can tell that you have neither dined at a michelin star restaurant nor a regular restaurant
>>
>>9079830
If you're a tourist looking for local flavor then don't bother. There is huge pressure on michelin from tourism boards for them to give out stars to the localized styles of cooking.

>>9085572
likely is a result of this.

This isn't a huge problem for some people but you will probably overpay. Some place down the road is offering the same quality and service at half the price.

>>9080263
Michelin guides will be what they have always been. A guarantee for affluent people who cannot suffer the idea of eating beneath their station in life.
>>
File: michelin-man.jpg (1MB, 1092x2156px) Image search: [Google]
michelin-man.jpg
1MB, 1092x2156px
>>9095538
Because tires were originally white due to the rubber used.
>>
>>9096364
More accurately, it's due to the lack of carbon.

"Carbon black"--very finely powdered carbon--is added to modern tires in order to make the rubber tougher. It also has the side effect of coloring the tires black.

The rubber itself is the same. The difference is that we now add carbon to it.
>>
>>9079890
Kek
>>
>>9089334
Not all coursed meals are tasting menus.
>>
>>9091045
You're uncultured because you only value calories.
>>
>>9091654
The "lawn clippings" argument almost always comes from fatties who are terrified of green things.
>>
>>9093672
And if someone else doesn't want to cook it for themselves? Or, get this: likes to go to restaurants to eat?
>>
>>9095231
Sorry, it looks like you got lost on your way to this thread >>9091821

Grown ups who have eaten at restaurants besides Burger King are talking here
>>
>>9081511
How is this not pretentious? Going to a restaurant not for the quality of the food in itself.
>>
>>9096437
>How is this not pretentious?

What determines pretnetiousness is the motivation behind the act.

If someone eats at an expensive place because they honestly enjoy the food, the amosphere, the wine, etc, then that wouldn't be pretentious.

If someone eats at an expensive place for the purposes of showing off to other people then that would be pretentious.
>>
>>9096370
Interesting
>>
>>9091654
My garden is full of sorrel. I pick some of it from time to time. It tastes like hawthorn dipped in vinegar. Not bad, but not worth the price you pay for it.
>>
>>9096436

nigga if you don't see the problem in the statement 'i assume the food is good when it's presented well' you don't deserve to eat at high quality restaurants
>>
>>9096659
I'm not saying haute cuisine can't ever be bad I'm just saying do you really think a chef in a Michelin restaurant doesn't give a toss about what they're cooking? When their restaurant's business and reputation depends on being flawless every single night?
>>
>>9095798
And why is that? I have not dined at a Michelin restaurant but I guarantee I know more and restaurant culture, ingredients, cooking, etc than you.
>>
>>9095395
>muh aerial boat
Get a load of this guy, I bet you went to Taipei 101 too
>>
My parents took me to The French Laundry when I was a kid and I didn't like it
>>
>>9097449
LOL way to par yourself out you fucking scrub. your opinion is irrelevant
>>
>>9095395
Fucking a mate. I just ate for 4 days. The food was amazing and all quite cheap.
>>
>>9098424
what does that even mean? kys
>>
>>9097418

>do you really think a chef in a Michelin restaurant doesn't give a toss about what they're cooking?

sometimes they don't, anon.
>>
I live in Modena but there's no way I can get my senpai to go to the Francescana just like that, it would have to be for a really special location. There is restaurant sporting one star a little outside town, though.
>>
>>9099384
Scratch that, I just found out there are two one-stars one of which is right within the town centre.
>>
>>9092275
>3 stars is the maximum
i know, im saying the only one worth planning a holiday around is the 3 star restaurants, thats what the guide says toi
>>
>>9081535
Days the neet who has never been to one.

There's nothing like a high end restaurant experience. Every detail is planned and perfected. The servers move with precision and grace. The food is delicious, but it's also interesting or challenging. The wines are synced to the foods to enhance both. When you're there you feel like the center of the universe. It's worth every penny.
>>
>>9095351
>take out
>nuked it

Bro.
>>
>>9089078
>havent cracked an egg before

this explains the guestbase of Michelin restaurants.

I need more fucking benzos REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: fud.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
fud.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>9080101
Have been to L'Enclume multiple times for their lunch tasting menu which was 18 courses for £120. Absolutely worth the trip and every last penny. Every dish was unique, interesting and delicious. The last time i went with a friend we got the cheese course on top of all that and we basically sat there and ate near continuously for 4-5 hours.

pic related, 1 out of the 18 dishes you get
not including unlimited freshly baked bread
>>
>>9093860
Moot said Australians are the fucking worst, because he did not see a dickbag of your caliber being a thing in the future.
>>
File: fud2.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
fud2.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>9100087
L'Enclume had 2 Michelin stars

here is one of their signature dishes: Shorthorn beef tartare with candied fennel, apple, caper jam, mustard, celeriac and charcoal oil
>>
>>9079830
dunno. but their food is not when you hungry
>>
I think there's a balance to be found here. All of the Michelin starred restaurants are going to be offering exceptional food and service and experience. But they may inflate their prices upon receiving a prestigious award that drives demand for their food up. Most fine dining establishments are going to be offering great food and service and experience anyway. It's good to look at local critics (if you're in a large metro) because Michelin only goes to certain cities anyway. And anyway it's silly to think that one critic is going to be a much greater judge of transcendental dining than another.
>>
>>9100381

>But they may inflate their prices upon receiving a prestigious award that drives demand for their food up.

this is the big assumption everyone who hasn't worked in a restaurant tends to make

you look at what the highest rated fine dining places are working with and you know they have to charge a lot to make a profit.

it's a better business idea to open a fucking builders cafe in a good location. a fucking jacket potato stall.

a lot of these restaurants, particularly the ones doing the most delicate fancy schmancy food, have almost a 1:1 ratio of staff to diners. the standard ratio of food cost in like any restaurant, fancy or not, is around 30% of the price. when you're employing an assload of staff to look after people taking up table space for 2-4 hours and spending much more time over the food itself, you have to run a fucking tight ship to make money. a lot of places don't. they're passion projects or loss leaders for a restaurateur's personal brand.

that's what pisses me off about all the anti fine dining threads on here. people are cynical, not skeptical. they assume that cheap things are more valuable than expensive things. but if you compare a dollar spent on a fancy restaurant vs like a diner, roughly the same proportion of that dollar is going to the value of the food while the remaining portion gets you a shitload more value in terms of effort (and risk).
>>
>>9080083
Yeah, pretty much. One-star is "while you're on holiday, go here" while three-star is "while you're here, go on holiday".
>>
>>9100108
don't forget the rocks and duckies!
>>
>>9100469
Are places that charge $200+ for a tasting menu anywhere close to 30% food cost?
>>
File: 1495261187738.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1495261187738.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
>>9079830
>>9079830
It depends on the place aye.
Michelin stars are given for excelling at a type of cuisine, but are borne from an old school francocentrism although are very rapidly making up for it with the stars awarded for super modern styles and techniques
There is no combining thread beyond being judged as excellent by some of the most studious and highly regarded critics in the world, and this is why you can more generally expect stuff such as:
Meticulously arranged dining space
Highly professional and informed FOH staff, and an appropriately curated drinks list
Dishes plated like artworks, composed of complimentary textures and flavours in ways as yet unused, and/or perfected to ridiculous degrees
To give you an idea of this last point, I have worked under chefs who could differentiate between pastas made an hour apart, and would refuse to serve one.
>>9083131
TFL is one of the most amazing kitchens on the planet, and an inspiration for myself and many an aspiring chef around the world. One bloody day…
>>9089361
Whereabouts? Position and specialisation?
>>9092569
Yes, and only a small portion of the vast number of chefs that dedicate their lives to cuisine ever will. What makes you think you can?
>>9092569
This depends, once you get into the Michelin tier of things, the economies are skewed toward making sure everything is exactly as the chef intends, so you spend a lot of monies researching and on highly specialised tasks, as well as the setting itself
>>
>>9100794

let's say the restaurant charges $200 and has eighteen courses. that's $11.11 per course. i know the course are often fairly small, but they also use particularly expensive ingredients. do you not think an average food cost of $3.33 per course, on a menu featuring sea urchin and truffles and turbot and black garlic and a bunch of other bullshit, is plausible?

in reality it could potentially be drastically higher or lower but 30% is a very common average because it's part of the established competitive pricing model in the industry. what if the food is all foraged by the staff, for instance? or what if it's a sushi bar where the express purpose is to try the best possible fish sold at market prepared by a small group of experts? these are things which will vary the food cost substantially. not to mention the most obvious factor - drinks.
>>
>>9100907

>Yes, and only a small portion of the vast number of chefs that dedicate their lives to cuisine ever will.

that's not true, anon. the real world isn't like your cooking anime. no one has a 'god tongue' and you don't need one to be a michelin star chef. you have a pretty high chance of success at *becoming skilful* if you take an active interest in the subject. running a successful restaurant, on the other hand, is different.
>>
File: 1498498885453s.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1498498885453s.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>9100925
I am a professional chef, and have never watched anime
I have spent quite a fair few fucking hours working with some really quite talented humans who will put in 16 hour shifts and nigh on kill themselves to get good, most of whom will never get a sniff at a star
If you're seriously deluded enough to believe that your casual home cooking can touch the levels of dedication found at the high end of professional cuisine, I suggest trying a few meals at some places in the guide, then trying to replicate food in that strata
>>
>>9101561

every professional chef works long shifts and you are talking to one you pretentious fucktard

i have also been to every 3 star in the uk, 2 out of it and a much larger variety of lower tier starred restaurants

you can replicate michelin starred meals at home. it is completely doable. it's a huge fucking waste of time and effort but it is doable even for someone with no professional experience. kill yourself you elitist cuck
>>
>>9101617
>fucktard
reddit term
>>
>>9099722
It was my first Michelin star restaurant, isn't that what you're supposed to do?
>>
>>9079830
olive garden expensive lol
>>
>>9101617
>hard work and dedication
>pretentious
Now the word has lost all meaning. Good job everyone! Successful thread!!
>>
>>9102067

i'm not referring to the hard work and dedication am i you shitmuncher

i'm referring to the excessive elevation of the status of michelin chefs leading to the unfounded claim that home cooks cannot cook like them

they can

heston blumenthal opened the fat duck on 3 months restaurant experience topping and tailing beans at le manoir
>>
Food can't be good enough for the prices they most likely have, probably
>>
>>9102171
This. He was a great promoter and businessman who saw a niche and forced himself in there. Ain't got shit to do with his culinary skills. He just had connections and some ability.
>>
>>9102171
Post examples of Michellin dishes you recreated at home with ingredients from the local supermarket
>>
>>9095794
I still laugh at this reply every time I scroll past.
>>
>>9102299

the point
your head
>>
>>9081642
This.
>>
>>9090294
>there is a french cafe that IS nice at the old bakery in la.
That sounds really nice
by the description it sounds like the old factory in Atwater-ish area, maybe Highland Park
>>
All these people talking about the ~experience~ are memeing, there are sushi places with 3 stars that take 20 minutes to eat at and don't even have a menu you select from
>>
>>9103877

that's an experience
>>
>>9103877
Most of the high end restaurants give you very little selection because they are only serving top quality ingredients cooked with precision and because they would very much like you to fuck off if you're a picky eater that can't enjoy food.

The 2 star I went to had about 9 courses. The restaurant had had room for and was seating about 30 people. There were nearly an equal number of chefs in the kitchen as there were diners. They worked in a glass enclosure.

The only choice I had was the wine, whether I wanted my main to be the house specialty steak or the seasonal specialty duck, and which desserts off the tray I wanted.
>>
>>9090294
>they turned the mega bakery into a fancy urban center with hip shit somewhere in LA i forgot where.
I'm very interested in whatever this is
>>
Anything with a dressing or purée or herbs is for fags
>>
>>9092355
So the star system doesn't work?
>>
>>9100794
Don't forget the staff costs. It really eats into your budget to have so much staff around. for people who sit at the table for hours.
>>9079830
>Olive garden
Olive garden is actually really really bad. You get better pasta sauce out of the 'premium' shelf canned sauces at your local Ralph supermarket (premium meaning a dollar more). Remember places like the Olive garden try to do everything as cheaply as possible.
A better example would be the cheese cake factory compared with michelin 3 star?
When michelin is bad, it's like eating foam or mold. But when it's good it's fucking orgasmic
>>
>>9102193
it's not, but you think it is because mind games.
you could serve the same dishesf at a local grungy coffee shop and people would either be 'it's pretty good' or 'it tastes fucking weird'.
but when they look forward to it for a month, and everyone has told them it's amazing, especially people in perceived positions of authority, like highbrow newspaper critics & mayors, and the server acts like they are presenting the best thing ever, the sheep trick themselves into enjoying it more.
>>
>>9107270

t. someone who manages their small income badly
>>
>>9107270
So do you have personal experience of fine dining, or did you figure all this sheep business out before chancing it?
>>
>>9092355
Yea, most of the meat and fruit typically available is total shit compared to Japan (never been to Europe) but I refuse to believe that there is zero access to good produce and meat on the high end
>>
>>9092355
You have NO fucking clue how Michelin inspectors operate, do you? They're completely anonymous unlike big-name critics like Pete Wells (who aren't known for lying either), and their meals are paid for solely by their employer. Good luck even spotting them coming through the door.
>>
>>9085872
Do the chefs care about satisfying your hunger or are they trying only to give you a very specific taste of things?
>>
>>9079993
>>9080083

I have a bit of experience with them. I've been to a handful of one stars and two 2-star restaurants. I think 1-star was actually better food. The 2-star places I went to were memeing their pretentious "food" a bit much. For example, at the restaurant Baume I found myself eating too much foam and sponge crap. But at one star places the food is normal but of very high quality.
Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>9107602

>Do the chefs care about satisfying your hunger

why, WHY do people keep banging on about this? you can satisfy your hunger for fucking pennies. people don't go to restaurants because they're exceptionally good at satisfying hunger.

and look at the amount of food in that video. do you realise that when you go to that restaurant you literally get all of that food?

you aren't being fucking gipped if you walk out of a fine dining restaurant hungry. they just miscalculated their portion sizes if that's the case. it is cheap and easy as fuck to fill you up, the very purpose of fine dining is to pack as much satisfaction and novelty into the process of filling up as possible.
>>
>>9081828
That's just retarded. Shit like this is why people look down on "fine" dining.
>>
>>9081828
this might be controversial but i hate desserts that have lines of some sauce on the plate next to the main thing
>>
>>9107619
>why, WHY do people keep banging on about this?

Because ignorance. They've never been to the sort of resturant that's being depicted or discussed. They have no clue that you get many many courses. So all they do is look at one plate and think ZOMG my fat ass would never be satisfied with that!

I have never left a restaurant hungry after getting one of those high-course-count meals. In fact, I usually have the opposite problem: getting full too soon.
>>
File: pretentios.jpg (128KB, 1000x734px) Image search: [Google]
pretentios.jpg
128KB, 1000x734px
>>9107618
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.