[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

completely new to this board but very interested to see if you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: gondola1.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gondola1.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
completely new to this board but very interested to see if you guys can help me
I'm a 20 year old living on my own for the first time and I'm wondering if you guys can recommend any dishes/recipes/etc for me to make that will help me become better at cooking and also not break the bank
I can cook really basic shit on my own and every recipe I'm given I can follow with no problems
also if you happen to know of some cookbooks that'd help with what I just talked about go ahead and tell me about em
>favorite dish I've every made is linguine carbonara
>>
>>9047370
1. Start with http://allrecipes.com/
2. Search for something you'd like to eat
3. Look at top rated recipes and read the reviews
4. ??????
5. Dine in hell

That's how I first learned how to cook; I emulated other recipes and started making my own adjustments over time until I came up with my own things. inb4 "ur viral marketing ur website." Nope. This is honestly how I learned as sad as that is. Real cooks probably learned from their parents and/or from archaic cook books but I'm too lazy for that.
>>
>>9047370
Learn to make your own stocks.
>>
McChickens, ramen, steak with ketchup, rice and beans.
>>
Contact your local foodbank. Free groceries twice a week
>>
>>9047386
>1. Start with http://allrecipes.com/
No, really don't. This is an aggregator site of untested recipes.
Start with epicurious' archives of Gourmet magazine, Bon Apetit, etc.>>9047386
Add something regional that means something to you like Southern Living magazine, or Martha Stewart or Saveur. You want some tested recipes from actual chefs as a newbie. There are some high quality blogs to find too, get inspired from award winners, and old standards alike. Make a bookmarks folder of faves for inspiration and knowledge building:
http://www.saveur.com/blog-awards-2016-winners

Beginner/newlywed kind of cookbooks cover all the basics and teach you skills as well:
Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book
Joy of Cooking
Mark Bittman's How to cook everything
Julia Child
There's a top author for each world cuisine you would like to learn too, like Diana Kennedy for Mexican, or Jaffrey for indian food

Cover one skill at a time for your mood, like when you buy eggs, think to yourself, hrm, what else can I do differently. You use those eggs for benedict w/ hollandaise, you soak your bread for french toast, you learn poaching, you make a souffle with your leftover cheese, you freeze quiches from your muffin tin, etc. You stretch your limits and really it comes from using up your ingredients when poor and single, and frugal. A lot of poor cuisine is latin, beans and rice, and low cost meats, and you can work your way through each of the variations throughout latin america and the caribbean.
>>
>>9047436
>No, really don't. This is an aggregator site of untested recipes.

Whatever, dude. Lots of recipes have hundreds of reviews and many of them are critical. They don't read like bots wrote them. It was easier for me to learn from a website that has recipes hundreds of people have reviewed vs ones that hardly have anyone reviewing what is posted. He's trying to just cook some tasty shit for himself not become a professional chef, Anthony Bourdain.
>>
>>9047436
>>9047451
thanks both of you guys, great advice from both parties
>>
>>9047487
I learned how to cook some Cajun food by following this guy: he's probably not some Michelin star accredited person but his shit is legit if you like Cajun food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-CBrJBFTF8
>>
>>9047493
I've never had cajun food but my favorite type of food in the entire world in indian so I feel like there's a strong likelihood I'll love it. thanks!
>>
>>9047451
>Anthony Bourdain.
TFW I'm watching Parts Unknown ATM.
>>
>>9047513
I stopped keeping up with him after No Reservations; I watched one episode of Parts Unknown and it didn't have the same charm to it. He doesn't seem as laid back.
>>
>>9047506
Also, I fucked up--that's actually Creole gumbo he made; I know it looks time consuming (and letting the shit sit for a day in the refrigerator "in order for the flavors to marry" isn't necessary) but it's worth it if you have access to fresh seafood. I'm drunk and forgot that was a creole variation because most of his stuff on his youtube is Cajun. I don't even remember how I stumbled upon his channel originally. I think I was drunk and searched for "gumbo recipes."
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.