[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I lived in Germany when I was a little kid. One thing that sticks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

File: piggy.jpg (15KB, 290x176px) Image search: [Google]
piggy.jpg
15KB, 290x176px
I lived in Germany when I was a little kid. One thing that sticks in my memory really well is going to a wild boar roast. They had a whole wild boar on a spit over a wood fire, and the smell is still with me to this day. It was incredible, even for a kid as picky as I was.

Can anyone tell me what kind of seasonings would be used in something like that? Would it be basically just salt, pepper, and paprika?
>>
>>9046659
I don't know about Germany, but in the Southeast USA we usually season our hogs with chili powder, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and apple vinegar. Everyone has their own variations of course, but I think these are fairly standard ingredients.
>>
>>9046659
That is haram. Germany does not deal with pork anymore. This is our land and our culture.
>>
>>9046659
You need to prep it like a turkey, rub salt all over the day before and let it rest in fridge. It takes 5-6 hours to roast
>>
>>9046689
Texasfag here. That's the same basic recipe that we use.

I have never had roast boar in Germany, but I remember having read German-origin recipes that talked about using juniper (I think) in the fire to create flavorful smoke.
>>
File: 08230003.jpg (250KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
08230003.jpg
250KB, 1000x750px
Typical german spices for wild boar would be…

marjoram
thyme
laurel
juniper berry
Allspice
fennel

Also the roast should be "larded" with fat bacon to make it more tender.
Sometimes venison here is marinated in buttermilk to get rid of the intense taste of it.
>>
>>9046659
Where do you live now?
Are you planing to go for a hunt?
>>
>>9046835
As an Austrian I can second that post.
>>
>>9046864
About to move to Tennessee, definitely within feral hog territory. It may not be the same as wild boar, but it should be pretty close.
>>
File: 14138219.jpg (480KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
14138219.jpg
480KB, 800x450px
>>9046880
We have far too many here. It's a plague! In the outskirts of berlin the gardens of wild boars are ransacked at night.

Where did you live when you were in germany?
>>
>>9046913
Wiesbaden. My family lived there since my dad was in the army and stationed there.
>>
>>9046913
We have the same problem all throughout the Southern USA. In Texas, wild boars cause millions of dollars worth of agricultural damage annually.
>>
File: mop in nc.jpg (70KB, 465x354px) Image search: [Google]
mop in nc.jpg
70KB, 465x354px
>>9046659
OP, your memories of a whole hog roasting might be cool, but I have to say, I really can't tolerate the gaminess of wild boar. Wild diet is just too yucky and makes the meat really strong.
I used to go to this "feast" of a festival (invite only), and I wouldn't give you 10c for wild boar.
http://wildhogbbq.com/wild-hog-bbq/

Now, when you go to a whole hog roast, whether cuban-style with baby pigs and mojo criollo marinade, puerto rican style in the ground in banana leaves, or north carolina style with the wet mop of the vinegary chili flake sauce is pretty good. But, I will tell you that cooking a hog whole with the skin on does nice things for the skin, but keeps some of the delicious smoke out of the flesh, and doesn't let the fat render out. I actually prefer roasts over whole hog or even split for a half. It just needs more contact with the grill. Caja chinas are the de facto roasting pit in the Cuban community. Ehh, I'll use an ordinary smoker or charcoal grill, to have the best final product.
>>
>>9046699
back to /pol/
>>
>>9046880

hog - wild boar
is there a difference?
>>
>>9046699
Time to fuck off back to >>>/hell/ you filthy muslim
>>
>>9046968
Very slight, but not a lot. American feral hogs are basically mixes of domestic pigs and wild boar. They're just as destructive, just as prolific, and just as disease-riddled.
>>
>>9046958
Seconded. We don't need a /pol/tard fucking up a good thread.

Back to the subject. There are very few if any boar left in the US. It's possible there could be some small isolated populations somewhere, but almost all of them interbred with feral hogs producing hybrids.
>>
>>9046659
Usually not much seasoning, especially since wild animal tastes way better than the ones breed in shitfactories, which literally taste like shit.

Deer is way better though, when it comes to wild animals.
>>
>>9046659
If you're cooking a whole pig then the seasoning you apply to the meat will be mostly superficial because of the thickness of the cuts you'll be serving (in contrast to ribs or chops), so keep it simple. I'd go with sale, black pepper, paprika and onion and garlic powder. Except for the salt, which you should use liberally, don't expect miracles from any other spices. Adding oak, fruit/nut wood to the coals often WILL significant effect on the meat well past the skin though.
>>
>>9047004
Were there pigs in America before 1492? I always thought they were brought back from the old world…
>>
>>9047056
No, they're escapees from early American colonial farms.
>>
File: porchetta.jpg (48KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
porchetta.jpg
48KB, 500x346px
>>9046659
we do the pig like this in italy: mostly salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, finocchietto selvatico (dont know name) and some put the boiled liver of the pig in the middle
>>
File: Wild.jpg (4MB, 4961x7016px) Image search: [Google]
Wild.jpg
4MB, 4961x7016px
>>9047007
>>
>>9046984
>being baited by the whitest person alive.
>>
wild boar german style
>>
>>9047193
fuck that looks tasty as fuck,
>>
>>9047110
Another pig recipe for me to try, right after German and Cuban. God I love when this board comes together to talk about real, good food.
>>
File: 1461051717615.gif (82KB, 540x336px) Image search: [Google]
1461051717615.gif
82KB, 540x336px
>>9046880
find yoself a hunting group they'd be glad to teach you how to spit and roast a hog
>>
>>9046689
Used to live in North Carolina, where the seasoning is basically just salt and a vinegar-pepper sauce added after low-and-slow smoking and chopping. In the Western regions (I lived right on the culinary border), a small amount of ketchup was also added. To this day it's still my favorite meal, though I haven't gone in over 6 years.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.