[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best kinds of foods to bring on a desert camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

What are the best kinds of foods to bring on a desert camping trip? I'm about to go backpacking in the Nevada desert for the first time with friends, I need ideas for foods that won't go bad easily in the heat and need minimal water to prepare. We'll have a couple of pots and pans and that's about it as far as cookware goes.

Pic related, I'm probably going to end up dying out there but I'd like to eat something other than granola or dried banana chips before I do.
>>
>>9044234
bring the driest, hardest, and most of all dehydrating (think sugars, alcohol, spicy) foods you can

like hard tack, or spicy beef jerky
>>
>>9044234
How far are you going and will there be water available enroute or will you be packing in the 1+ gal you'll need each day?
>>
>>9044234
dry salami, babybel cheese will be fine in heat, depending on your water situation dehydrated food is the best way to go but it again it depends on alot of things like how much water you have access to and how youre getting it, weight constrictions, duration of your trip, etc
>>
>>9044234
Eat some of the local plants for sustenance. Cacti can provide water, and prickly pears are delicious. Peyote cacti are smaller, but very flavorful and makes a great trail snack.
>>
>>9044263
>>9044266
No water enroute, we'll be packing the necessary water we need and carrying it as we hike. I'm thinking dehydrated food is the best way to go but I don't want to lug around too much extra water considering we'll be out there for at least 3 or 4 days. Got any brands to recommend?
>>
>>9044234
If you can find surplus mre pouches you can break them down to be quite portable. They can be eaten hot or cold. Consider bringing tea or instant coffee. It'll cool down big time overnight.
>>
File: 1496281559610.png (216KB, 401x267px) Image search: [Google]
1496281559610.png
216KB, 401x267px
>>9044267
>Peyote cacti are smaller, but very flavorful and makes a great trail snack
>>
>>9044277
The water that goes into your food isn't "extra water," since you're still consuming it.

>>9044285
Also this, just pull out the actual meal and dessert pouches from the MRE and leave the rest behind.
>>
/r/ing that pic of Tyrone with the furry lion
>>
>>9044277
>3 or 4 days

That's all? Fast, no food whatsoever, and fill your pack space with double or triple the water you think you need. You don't die of starvation in the desert, you die from dehydration. Take some nuts, dry fruit and dry meat if you have to, but plan on losing weight and being safe with fucking adequate water.
>>
File: IMG_1968.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1968.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
>>9044277
>doing this
>>
>>9044294
I considered extra since I was planning for enough to keep me from dehydration and anything after that would be superfluous. But that's a good idea, might as well just take the good stuff from an MRE, easier to pack that way.
>>
>>9044234
I'd recommend those packets of tuna. Good amount of protein and sodium which you'll need.
>>
>>9044277
That water is going to be heavy as fuck.
>>
>>9044277
>brings dehydrated food
>brings a shitload of water
>combines the two over a campfire in the desert
>has to bring fuel for the fire since there's fuck-all fuel in the desert
>has to drag everything along in a Radio Flyer red wagon
>>
Dried apricots.
>>
>>9044277
>I don't want to lug around too much extra water considering we'll be out there for at least 3 or 4 days
>I don't want to lug around too much extra water because we are facing conditions which will require it.
Goodbye, OP. You were a faggot.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.