[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does someone make stews in a slowcooker? last time i tried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Beef stock.jpg (20KB, 608x344px) Image search: [Google]
Beef stock.jpg
20KB, 608x344px
How does someone make stews in a slowcooker? last time i tried it was so tasteless and horrible i just thew it out, any recipes i should try out? and how do you guys do stock? are stock cubes acceptable?
>>
>>9043773
Tips would be to sear the beef, always make your own stock, and preferably don't use a slow cooker. I know it's a convenience, but you then miss the opportunity of things than can be done in the dutch oven like searing meat, sweating onions, frying aeromatics, browning the veg, or having the all-directional heat of an oven instead of the bottom.

That being said, the convenience of a slow cooker can still turn out a good stew.
>>
>>9043773
>real stock
>brown meat
>fresh, whole spices
>add veg no more than an hour or two before eating or itll just make them bland
>>
>>9043815
That explains why the veg i put in the slowcooker ended up tasting like dirt! Thanks
>>
>>9043773
Use more onion than you think you need. 1 onion or 1 clove of garlic in a pot of stew won't do anything. If I'm using about a quart of liquid, I'll use 2 onions. They'll basically melt and get sweet if you're cooking for a few hours. Stock cubes are okay, but watch the salt, and it's not a perfect substitute for a good quality stock. Might be okay to dissolve a stock cube into beer or wine. Add something acidic if you don't already, adding a bit of vinegar really makes a stew taste a lot better.
>>
>>9043773

A bouillon cube is a fucking salt lick. Never use them. Buy a decent base.
>>
>>9043867
Whats a decent base then? UK fag here
>>
>>9043890
We don't have any unless you shop at waitrose.
>>
>>9043890
Slow cook meat on the bone/fatty meat. That is some stock for ya.
>>
>>9043867
>buy a decent base
make one, you unimaginable faggot
>>
>>9043890
>buy bones from a butcher (4lbs worth)
>toss in olive oil with 2-3 chopped carrots, a chopped onion, 1 rib of celery and 3-4 whole cloves of garlic
>place only the bones on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 400F degree oven and roast for about 25 minutes, rotating to keep from burning; add veggies and roast for another 15
>take out pan and use a spatula to spread a few tablespoon of tomato paste over the bones and veg, roast for another 10 minutes (keep an eye on it and remove if it starts to blacken too much)
>transfer to a large stock pot and add enough water to cover plus a couple of bay leaves, stems of parsley or fresh thyme, and a handful of peppercorns
>heat on high until it just starts to bubble, reduce heat to low, cover it loosely and simmer for at least 8 hours and up to 24
>watch stock while it simmers and skim off the fat that comes to the top, don't stir
>strain with a cheesecloth
>>
>>9043773
forget the slowcooker meme. if you want dead easy, get a proper enameled cast iron pot. brown, sautee, stew - all the steps you need to layer flavors for beef stew, all in one cooking vessel.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.