[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to brew a Russian style Kvass with a slightly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: FFSM4QWIJQODJ5K.MEDIUM.jpg (63KB, 620x426px) Image search: [Google]
FFSM4QWIJQODJ5K.MEDIUM.jpg
63KB, 620x426px
I'm looking to brew a Russian style Kvass with a slightly more potent alcohol content than seems to be the norm. Anyone know any tips on how to do this? Most recipes I've seen either use way to many ingredients for such a simple process or are going for a low alcohol content. Also general Kvass thread. Post recipes and success.
>>
>>9038264
If you want more alcohol then all you need to do is have more sugar present for the yeast to eat and turn into ethanol. Simple as that.
>>
the term is braga
>>
Here's a recipe from the last thread that someone posted. Made it myself and it came out pretty good:

Kvass Recipe
>boil 2 liters of water; once it starts rolling, take it off the heat
>burn 3 slices of rye bread
>add them to the water
>add about 1/4 cup of raisins (you can use dried cranberries instead if you'd like)
>cover the pot and let the bread/water mixture sit for a good 4 hours
>afterwards, strain the mixture and put the liquid in a bowl
>pitch 1.5 teaspoons of yeast (it can be a baker's yeast or whatever you happen to have on hand)a into the liquid
>add 3 cups of brown sugar
>stir
>pour into mason jars or something else with an airtight seal
>give the yeast something to latch onto, in our case we add more raisins (about a handful), this will also impart the grape flavor onto the drink
>add a tablespoon of honey to each jar that you fill
>seal them tightly, and let them ferment for at least 3 days, 1 week or more if you want it to be extra boozy
>when you're sure you want to drink it, strain it again and serve chilled
>>
>>9038475
>>9038307
Thanks guys, I was just a bit worried that I might overdue it on the sugar and leave it too sweet.
>>
>>9038264
I have never made kvass but im guessing that the alcohol content is determined by the type of yeast used. Baker's yeast is quite intolerant to high alcohol levels and dies of rather quickly.
Using real ale yeast would probably work,

But remember to increase the amount of sugar, by adding more bread or actual sucrose.
However I am just speculating, it might just taste like shit.
>>
>>9038763
>im guessing that the alcohol content is determined by the type of yeast used

That is one factor in brewing, but it doesn't really apply to kvass. kvass is usually very low alcohol content. It's nowhere near high enough to kill the yeast--even baker's yeast.

A brewer's yeast would be needed if he was shooting for a very high alcohol content, but first things first he needs more sugar.
>>
>>9038773
OP said he wanted a slightly higher alcohol content. I don't know how high abv he wanted, but won't baker's yeast produce more unwanted flavours than ale yeast at slightly higher alcohol contents?
>>
>>9038875
Kvass is usually under 1% alcohol. Baker's yeast is good to well over 10%. OP could make his Kvass literally 10x stronger than normal and still be perfectly fine with baker's yeast.

>>unwanted flavors
I'll admit I'm far from a master brewer, but I have used baker's yeast for a few different things and I never ran into any problems with unwanted flavors, only that it can be tricky to get above 10-12% ABV with it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.