[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got half a crockpot full of pork grease and water,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 20170608_010604.png (4MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
20170608_010604.png
4MB, 2016x1512px
I've got half a crockpot full of pork grease and water, a mind to turn it into a soup base, and no idea how to make it happen. I tried google but I couldn't find anything about turning pork grease into a broth, and all I know about soup base is that my dad made his by freezing the left-over grease from pressure-cooked chicken.

Would you happen to know anything about this, /ck/?
>>
are those pork bones in the pic? if so, dump everything and then make stock out of the bones
>>
>>9025743
No, it's some leftover ribs from the meat that was boiled in the pot. I could sacrifice one of them for a broth, but the other one is for eating.

What is stock?
>>
>>9025748
it's where you purchase a portion of and a right to vote in a business
>>
>>9025752
fuck, i laughed, thank you anon

>>9025748
stock is where you take bones and some veggies like carrots, celery, and onions, and then cook it low and slow for several hours to make a broth. in your cast you should eat the meat if you want to (in your case, it looks...not good, why would you boil ribs?), and then put them back in the CLEAR crock pot with some water and those veggies i mentioned. cook it on low for like 18 hours, and then you'll have some homemade broth.
>>
>>9025760
fuck, i'm drunk. but you get the gist of what i'm saying - eat the meat and clean out the pot, put the bones back in with roughly chopped carrots/celery/onions, cover with a bunch of water, and cook for several hours
>>
>>9025760
>>9025764
>why would you boil ribs
They were on sale, but as meat goes on sale when it's near expiration we decided to eat it quickly. Since we don't have a grill and baking them would have been worse, boiling was the least bad option.
>roughly chopped carrots/celery/onions
Don't have any celery and it's 2AM so I don't want to get any right now. Vegetables I have on hand are carrots, onions, potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, and immature onions, chives and all. Would that be enough or should I leave it till morning when I can get more ingredients? What should the solid:broth ratio be?

Thanks for being so helpful.
>>
>>9025764
>>9025760
Why would he not use the meat juices and fat already in the pot? Cleaning out the pot would throw away flavour.

Just use whatever is already in there, throw back in the bones, add more water, onions and leftover veg and simmer for a day.
Then strain through a cloth, salt to taste and reduce. Save it in a freezer.
>>
>>9025738
fat should be skimmed out of your soups. Save the grease for cooking other meats in a pan but not for soup.
>>
>>9025775
>baking them would have been worse

No. Wrapping them in foil and baking them at a low temp for a long time would be superior to boiling. When you boil them some of the pork flavor gets into the water. If you wrap them in foil and bake them there is no loss of this flavor into a big pot of water.

If you don't have a grill then bake at low temp for a while, then remove the foil and crank up the heat to finish. (or do so under the broiler)
>>
>>9025738
put in fridge
pull off almost all congealed pork fat
boil bones in remaining liquid to make broth
>>
>>9025738
theres no limit to what you can do with this
>asian style: add 2 halved onions,some ginger,2 cloves of garlic, dried mushrooms/kelp
>western: bayleaf,parsley,onion/leek/carrot/celeryroot/dried mushrooms....

you can also cook it on a strong boil instead of simmering, which will dissolve some of the porkbones, this akes like 12 hours, though you have to refill water occasionally.
Basically making broth/stock is one of the most freeform things you can do in the kitchen, its also very forgiving.
if you have no veg just simmer/boil it, put in fridge,remove fat for different use and freeze the broth for another use (stew/soup/risotto/...)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.