[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start being able to cook for myself but have next to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: pot.jpg (24KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
pot.jpg
24KB, 500x277px
I want to start being able to cook for myself but have next to no cooking utensils. What items should I focus on buying at first in order to be able to learn proper cooking techniques? Donn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money at first but as I get better I hope to grow my collection. Also cooking supplies and utensils thread I guess
>>
>>9011500
Just buy an instant pot.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (74KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
74KB, 1280x1024px
>>9011500
Sauce Pan
Saute Pan
Colldndar
Measuring Cups
Pairing Knife

That should get you going, and you can expand on it as you get more comfortable in the kitchen.
>>
Cast iron pan
Ulu

That is literally all you need, don't listen to the weebs who think you need luxury as-seen-on-TV copper plated pans that cost $1000, or non-serrated knives
>>
>>9011566
>a fucking ulu

are you kidding me with this shit
>>
>>9011500
A straight sided 10 inch or equivalent steel pan and a handheld utensil that you feel comfortable with. Shit fuck use your brain.
>>
>>9011595

There's an ulu fanboy who's been posting on this board for at least a year now.
>>
>>9011595
Luxury hipster weeb detected
>>
File: Kitchenware Essentials.png (354KB, 531x624px) Image search: [Google]
Kitchenware Essentials.png
354KB, 531x624px
>>
A saucepan or two, a cast iron pan, wooden spoons and high temp spatula for cooking, steamer insert, some flatware to eat food with, a cutting board, a chef's knife (6"), a paring knife (3") and a vegetable peeler ought to be enough to get you started.

Add stuff as you go and as you need it. Like a rice cooker or a blender.

Learn to boil water. Clean some carrots and potatoes and steam them. Voila! Dinner! Add broccoli for extra points, saute some mushrooms with onions and you've got a decent dinner.

Get a salad spinner. Salads are easy and healthy, plus chicks dig salads. Buy a crepe pan and learn to make crepes. Major panty remover "would you like to come over for dinner?" menu.

An electric kettle is handy if you like to drink tea.

A Weber kettle grill is worth the money if you have space for it outdoors. Grilled flatbread? Oh hell yes. Or grilled vegetables, or fish.
>>
>>9011606
definitely not all you need you fucking retard. I'd tell you to use your brain but I'm guessing you are already trying to and that idiotic post is the result so maybe just shut the fuck up
>>
to start out, you cant really go wrong with a 12 in cast iron, a decent chefs knife and a medium sized pot for soups
>>
>>9011676
>learn to boil water

Having trouble with that, sometimes it all just disappears, once it even froze.
gib tips please?
>>
File: 1492189404038.jpg (11KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1492189404038.jpg
11KB, 184x184px
>>9011874
You have to watch it. If you don't stare at it the entire time it heats up it will turn invisible.
>>
File: 1463954948452.jpg (146KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1463954948452.jpg
146KB, 1000x1500px
>>9011500
First and foremost:
>Chef Knife (https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-45520-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B008M5U1C2)
>Cutting Board (https://www.amazon.com/Midori-Way-Bamboo-Cutting-Grooves/dp/B010A5JP5K)
>Stainless Steel stockpot (https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Classic-Stainless-6-Quart-Stockpot/dp/B000058AKA)
>Cast Iron Pan (https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB)
>Wooden spoon
>Spatula

Here's some chart someone on /ck/ made a while ago. Don't take it as gospel though. I survived all year with just the things I listed.
>>
>>9011500

I think it depends on what kind of cooking you enjoy the most. I make about 90% of what I eat with the following

Good kitchen knife and cheap sharpening stone (really worth learning how to properly sharpen)
wooden spoon / spatula
cutting board
large pan
pot
measuring cups / spoons
plates / cutlery

Everything else is convenience or for specialized stuff. Just get what you consider bare minimum and buy more things as you need them, dont over complicate it
>>
Thanks for all the info guys. Another question though: what is the benefit of having a cast iron pan opposed to a normal one?
>>
>>9012059
Cast iron can retain its heat very well. Great for searing meat and general purpose cooking.

Stainless works but won't retain the heat as well and food can stick more than cast iron.
>>
>>9012059
really easy to take care of and they will literally last your whole life. plus you can cook about anything in them, i use mine for like 90% plus of my cooking. they go in the oven, on the stove, take it camping, make bread or pizza in it, fry eggs, make a stew?, cook steaks, roast potatoes, it goes on

>>9011998
this is a great list, and though i dont agree with the placement of everything the info graphic is p accurate too.
>>
>>9011500
Best decision when I moved was to get some kitchen towels and hand towels. Useful for grabbing hot stuff, cleaning shit off your hands or cooking surfaces when you spill your shit like the fgt you are. Also saves money in the long run because paper towels are expensive. Make sure you get a small 10 or 12 inch trash bin. To toss the dirty and sometimes soaking wet towels in, under the sink. Very useful.
>>
>>9011998
>no flour sifter
>no garlic peeler
>no garlic mincer
Shit graphic.
>>
My non stick pans go to 400 so nothing above medium-high heat. If I need to go hot I use cast iron.
>>
File: 1480442682427.png (201KB, 415x469px) Image search: [Google]
1480442682427.png
201KB, 415x469px
>>9012220
kys
>>
>>9011998
Thermometer is definitely in Absolute Minimum tier. If you ever cook meat, you need one so you don't fuck up that chicken, beef, etc.
>>
>>9013747
Not really senpai, i cook meat 3-4 times a week and have been doing so for the past 15 years, without a meat thermometer.

As long as you aren't retarded and know how to cook it doesn't take a fucking thermometer to see if your meat is done or not.

it's nice to have because you might not want to cut into whatever meat you have for presentation reasons, or if you want keep very precise track of the temp for whatever autistic reason.

But no, it is not an ABSOLUTE minimum tier item.
>>
>>9011500
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00213JO7Y/
Anyone own this? How thick is it? Seems too cheap to be worth a shit.
>>
>>9013759
the 10" is my daily driver when i'm not using cast iron.

It's not bad, nothing amazing though.
>>
>>9011628
This is pretty comprehensive, although has some things I wouldn't consider essential like tongs and meat fork. Those should be optionals.
>>
>>9013770
I already have a non-stick and a CI along with a pressure cooker and a crepe pan. Wondering if this'll add anything.
>>
>>9013794
i'd get the 14" with helper hand, it would be good for tomato based stuff since the acid can fuck with your cast iron.
>>
>>9013798
Yeah, seems like a good pan to make pasta in. I'll go for it. Need to add $10 for free shipping, any good kitchen appliance I should put in.
>>
>>9013811
>Need to add $10 for free shipping, any good kitchen appliance I should put in.

it's just going to depend on your personal preferences and what you already own.
>>
>>9013781
>I wouldn't consider essential like tongs and meat fork. Those should be optionals.
What you dont think every kitchen in america needs a meat fork and tongs?

Seriously though, anyone who made that as an essential must have some sort of autism.
>>
>>9012196
>this is a great list, and though i dont agree with the placement of everything the info graphic is p accurate too.
Thank you. I made that piece of shit a year ago and am somewhat surprised it's used.
>>
>>9012059
Three main benefits.
1- naturally nonstick and pretty well the only cookware that's both nonstick and high temp safe.
2- high thermal mass means a hot iron skillet contains a LOT of energy. This makes them pretty well the best thing for searing, and means that their temperature is very stable.
3. If cared for properly, they're as close to indestructible as cookware gets. They'll last generations and will just get better with age.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.