[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calling all proper cooks. I'm making dinner for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_9679.jpg (249KB, 1000x595px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9679.jpg
249KB, 1000x595px
Calling all proper cooks.

I'm making dinner for someone special next week. She knows I can cook but this is the first time I'm going by instinct rather than set recipes.

I've watched Eric Ripert's seared bass video on youtube a hundred times and I want to do a riff of seared bass but with a few things I can get locally and in season.

I decided to do his seared bass but set it on roasted plums and fennel, with a plum and ancho chili relish as a sauce.

I never made a relish before and most recipes for fruit relishes and chutneys end up being canned or just chunky salsa type dishes. I'm looking to made more fine almost like a relish sauce.

So here goes:
Rehydrate ancho chilis in hot water
Scrape flesh, combine with diced plum, minced shallot, minced garlic
Place in saucepan, add vinegar (1 cup?)
Simmer ~15 min
Season
Chill until serving

Does that seem feasible?
>>
I'd also like to mention I'm considering rice wine vinegar.

Anyways if anyone here can provide some expertise or offer a variation please let me know
>>
>>8999105
seems like a funky fish recipe, why would you want to serve that on a date? if you want to impress someone a vinegar based sauce is very risky
>>
>>8999105
>She knows I can cook but this is the first time I'm going by instinct rather than set recipes.

bad idea and only something someone who doesn't know how to cook would say
>>
>>8999111
My thinking is that since the starter is a proven recipe of stuffed, bacon-wrapped dates I would offer up a main that is light and sexy with fruit, acid, and a little spice.

Check his video for seared bass here:
https://youtu.be/IvCjnUt88xg

The fish I'm confident about, along with the roasted fruit and veg. However you're right, this is risky with the sauce.

Luckily I have a whole day prior to experiment with it, but my thinking is that the vinger will reduce in intensity and just provide a good bite with the spice of the chili and sweetness of the plums.
>>
>>8999115
Well cooking is a constant learning process and I think one only gets better stepping outside of their comfort zone and outside set recipe guidelines.

If you cook enough you will get intuitive about what works and what doesn't, and I feel it's time to try it even if I fail.
>>
>>8999105
Way too much vinegar. Just a tablespoon or two.

Also add some orange juice. After the relish has cooled pulse it in a blender if you want it very saucy, not too much though.

The roasted plums will be good but instead of roasting the fennel as well try shaving it, add some juice and vinegar and make a zesty salad to lighten up the dish.
>>
>>8999134
Okay but the bad idea is doing it in front of someone you want to impress. Either it'll taste bad or taste good but she won't like it or you'll fuck upnsince you're doing something you haven't done before

But whatever it's up to you
>>
>>8999105

When I aim to impress, I make something I know I can do properly. My go-to is Chicken Marbella with a simple, fragrant rice pilaf based on onions, peppers, peas, saffron and orange peel.
>>
Chill and seared bass?
>>
>>8999392

pussy

>>8999147

wrong

>>8999105

you're on the right track but that sauce is going to be gross unless you add an equal part sugar to the cup of vinegar, reduce by half, and strain. bam, you have a nice gastrique to drizzle around your roast plum and fennel salad. i'd just do the plums hot and toss them with cold shaved fennel and olive oil/salt/pepper and some chives.

remember to just outline the pile of fennel and shit, not too much. fish on top. cold/hot contrast and textures/flavors all work.

starch wouldn't hurt but if your vision is light and bright, you're on the right track.
>>
File: IMG_9686.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9686.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>8999567
Thanks so much for your input. I think you're on the money by making it a gastrique, and I screencapped your method to use later.

Correct, I was going to do that exact plating. I'm omitting a starch because the stuffed dates could be a main in and of itself, and I'm toasting some ciabatta to dip into their sauce. So it's going to be pretty filling with the meat, sauce, and bread.

The dates are phenomenal, I had them in Chicago at the restaurant that created them. Here's the recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016054-chorizo-stuffed-dates-with-piquillo-pepper-sauce
>>
>>8999567
Also when you say reduce by half do you mean the entire mixture I had mentioned or just the vinegar-sugar solution?

I'm guessing you meant the entire thing, and I have some fine mesh strainers. So it looks like it's gonna be a sexy plum-ancho chili gastrique I can drizzle around the plate! I better work on my spoon plating techniques..
>>
>>8999596
Not him but can I get a screencap or copy-paste?
It wants me to sign up to see it
>>
>>8999609
http://www.thetastesf.com/chorizo-stuffed-bacon-wrapped-dates-with-roasted-pepper-sauce/

Same dish, slight variation. This one calls for tomato puree over whole peeled can tomatos (2 cups) and fresh roasted peppers over jarred. I don't mind jarred however, and it's easier for me. The NYTimes one uses shallots over onion, and I tend to prefer shallots overall. Also don't forget the finely sliced parsley to put on top.

You can't make a throwaway for the NYTimes site? I'm on mobile so screencap will take too long.
>>
>>8999622
Thanks senpai
It's more that I don't want to make an account out of principle
>>
>>8999105
>>8999109
my expertise is:
>waywayway too much vinegar
>plum,ancho and fennel in a vinegary and hot sauce sounds real bad, you should probably strike the vinegar and go for citrus instead

still not a fan though
>>
>>8999711
Op listen to this guy, I can tell he knows more than eric repair
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.