[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I find myself basically having 3 go-to shrimp dishes and would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

File: shrimp-22.jpg (591KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
shrimp-22.jpg
591KB, 2400x1600px
I find myself basically having 3 go-to shrimp dishes and would like to expand me repertoire.
Currently they are
>pasta and shrimp with lemon butter sauce
>pasta with shrimp and homemade white sauce
>shrimp with asian stir-fry (usually soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, and sometimes honey) and rice

What are you best shrimp dishes?
>>
>>8989284
Edit:
Thought of a 4th dish I occasionally do
>shrimp burrito with guacamole and a mayo, sour cream, and lime juice aioli
>>
>>8989284
Tom yum goong, a spicy hot Thai shrimp soup that's easy to make yet packed with flavor.
>>
>>8989284
try cajun garlic shrimp, it's some good shit
>>
Cajun shrimp etouffee
Jambalaya
Paella
>>
>>8989284
Make soup with Coconut milk
-Green curry
-garlic & ginger
-fish sauce
-lemon grass
-limes

simmer

chuck in:
-sugar snaps
-bok choy
-shrimp
-noodles
>>
shrinp tenpura
>>
File: sambal udang nasi lemak.jpg (49KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
sambal udang nasi lemak.jpg
49KB, 550x366px
Shrimp sambal is mainly a bunch of shallots and chilli paste fried off, with garlic, tamarind juice, belachan, ginger or galangal, sugar and salt, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have all that stuff. Eat it with coconut rice, roasted peanuts, cucumber and a boiled egg, and that combination with the spicy shrimp is amazing.
>>
>>8989284
Scampi (could be paired with baby reds) and this (paired with Spanish rice and refried beans)

Mariscos Mojo de Ajo
Choice of shrimp or scallops sautéed in a light tomato sauce with mushrooms and onions in butter, crushed red peppers and fresh garlic. Slightly spicy. Gluten free.
>>
File: Shrimp etoufee.jpg (1MB, 2600x2072px) Image search: [Google]
Shrimp etoufee.jpg
1MB, 2600x2072px
>>8989284

pic related: shrimp etoufee
>>
>>8989284
shrimp provençale
>>
File: Frogmore-stew.jpg (381KB, 1000x614px) Image search: [Google]
Frogmore-stew.jpg
381KB, 1000x614px
Frogmore Stew. Simplest shit in the world to prepare, can feed a ton of people and is always tasty.

Also, classic shrimp and grits (get those over-spiced 'pan-southern' or fusion variants drowning in excessive tomato or cream sauces the fuck out of my face).
>>
File: 20150503_182051.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150503_182051.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8989284
>shrimp
>grits
It's like a blank canvass.
>>
>>8990902
Oh shit, you lowcountry?
t.HHI
>>
>>8989284
I make a pretty alright gumbo, and some better than passable Thai curries.

My best shrimp dish is a Thai-Italian fusion thing that can be nudged either direction with some ingredient/amount alterations depending on how you prefer it.

It's basically tagliatelle and shrimp with Ouzo/Sambuca rosé and thai basil.
>start off some finely diced onion in oil/butter, when suitably sauteed, add minced garlic
>add uncooked, peeled, veined shrimp
>add ouzo/sambuca, apply usual flambé nonsense if required
>a bit of passata, some cream/coconut milk, lots of coarsely chopped thai/cinnamon basil, salt, pepper, hot pepper as desired

Easily made full Thai, easily made full Italian, easily made in general, and great with gin and tonics - especially with some blood orange and thai basil muddled in.
>>
>>8989284
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAJokcwBXI

This has been my go to shrimp dish since I tried it out.
>>
File: recipesfromredwall2.jpg (333KB, 1413x1562px) Image search: [Google]
recipesfromredwall2.jpg
333KB, 1413x1562px
I make a few changes when I make this, add cayenne in addition to the chili and curry powder noted in the recipe (and add more of the chili/curry to taste) and do a splash of cream instead of all that milk
>>
>>8991044
... shit, I forgot shrimp and leek bao(zi). They're a bit too complicated/time consuming to make just for myself though.

shrimp and leeks are great together.
>>
File: bowensisland.jpg (147KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
bowensisland.jpg
147KB, 590x590px
>>8990920

About 50% Low County -- originally from the Pee Dee/Grand Strand, but family moved to James Island when I was young.
>>
File: wonton.png (632KB, 680x536px) Image search: [Google]
wonton.png
632KB, 680x536px
Just made homemade shrimp and pork wontons for the first time tonight using this recipe (www.recipetineats.com/wonton-soup/)

The filling was super easy to make, and I found the wrappers easily enough at my local grocery store.

It's a little slow filling the wrappers, since they only take about a teaspoon of filling, but I made at least 40-50 with probably less than $5-6 worth of ingredients.

I tried to make a few fancy shapes, including the classic 'money bag' shape.
But, the easiest was pic related. None busted open, which made me happy for a first-time wonton maker.

Also, the flavor was really authentic. The recipe I chose was a little heavy on the ginger, but it tastes like restaurant wontons.
>>
>>8991100
The why they hell are you calling it Frogmore Stew instead of a "Low Country Boil". Frogmore stew is the Georgian name.

t. Augustafag
>>
>>8989284
You pretty much got it. I don't know of anything else that's easy to throw together and doesn't require a few unconventional ingredients.

Coconut or tempura shrimp is always good, but I know a lot of people would never consider deep frying a "go to" even though it's not that hard or messy.

Question: are you buying the shrimp pre cooked?
>>
>>8989284
Shrimp a la diabla
>>
>>8991134
Not always true. Probably more than half the people I know in Charleston call it Frogmore Stew. Also, growing up we always called it Frogmore stew. I vaguely remember "low country boil" being used more in Myrtle Beach.
>>
>>8991165
Hmmm. Interesting. This place is so completely infested with yankee transplants that it is getting hard to find people that still call it frogmore stew.
>>
File: 220px-Carpetbagger.jpg (22KB, 220x216px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Carpetbagger.jpg
22KB, 220x216px
>>8991178
Dagblasted yankees, goldurnit!
>>
>>8991178
Bingo -- it's old news for SC since they've come in waves for the past 100 years or so. Can't blame 'em. Not a lot of openings for skilled labor careers in the north when every industry packs ups and moves south for better tax/labor laws.

At least they contribute something and most are happy to try and adapt to their romanticized version of southern life instead of constantly bitching and trying to kill it outright. Plus, Hilton Head works nicely as a containment zone for the worst kind of carpetbaggers.

And to keep this on topic, don't forget about fried shrimp. Look up recipes for 'Calabash fried shrimp'.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.