[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are so many of the most famous chefs British when British

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 14

File: 1489988586597.png (108KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1489988586597.png
108KB, 250x250px
Why are so many of the most famous chefs British when British food is so bad?
>>
>>8938164

I can only think of a handful of famous British chefs: Ramsay, MPW, Fergus Henderson, and Blumenthal. And none of them except for Henderson are famous for cooking British style. Ramsay and MPW are both old-school French trained, and Blumenthal is a modernist.
>>
It's kinda like when you were raped by your parents so you become a cop or social worker when you grow up to protect other kids.
>>
>>8938164
famous English speaking* chefs
>>
>>8938164
I used to think that "British food is bad" was a meme... until I lived with an actual British woman for a few weeks.

>boiled chicken and steamed vegetables
>seasoning: none
>no salt, no pepper
>nothing

at least there was win to wash it down.
>>
>>8938212
*wine
>>
File: ChuckNorristhumbsup Emil P.jpg (172KB, 725x984px) Image search: [Google]
ChuckNorristhumbsup Emil P.jpg
172KB, 725x984px
>>8938183
Came here to post something similar to this.
>>
>>8938183
Gingivitistan BTFO
>>
>>8938216
Ignore him, I meant win.
>>
>>8938212
>lives with one British person and then judges the entire countries cuisine on her lack of ability.

Thanks for the input bro.
>>
>>8938173

Back to basics, me laddo. Proppa grub.
>>
>>8938164
the british have a deep-seated desire to perfect other countries' cuisine since we can't stand our own.
>>
>>8938164

France is across the channel, there's even a tube under the sea directly there now. That's why.
>>
>>8938164
London is a world city. The british food meme is from the areas outside London. The famous chefs aren't getting trained in Leeds
>>
When your food is so bad that it makes you want to cook other kinds of food.
>>
>>8938164
Because "good" food is disgusting
Cause if it's good enough for you to like it you must just have shit taste!

Have you seen the "best" restaurant in the world? It's not even food and that's supposed to be the point. They literally go out into the back yard and pick up your meal off the floor.
>>
>>8938212
>Boils chicken
>Doesn't use excessive amounts of pepper
Doesn't sound very British to me?
T. Bong
>>
the british empire colonized the world, took all of their best stuff, and now good british chefs use that as inspiration.
>>
Because if you actually know food, British food is pretty good.
>>
>>8940367
>chip butty
>eel pie
>bread pudding
>toast sandwich
>black pudding
Sorry mate, British cuisine is just varying degrees of bland and/or disgusting.
>>
>>8938164
Because they get desperate and go train in France
>>
>>8938173

heston blumenthal is famous for cooking historical british food dude. it's been his main focus for the last like 8 years.

and there are shitloads more famous british chefs, just cause you can't name them doesn't mean they don't exist.

>>8938212

i literally don't know a single british person who eats boiled chicken and steamed vegetables. those cooking methods are actually much more common in east asia and france
>>
File: what-in-fuck2.jpg (126KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
what-in-fuck2.jpg
126KB, 900x900px
British accent > dog shit > British food

you can't taste your screen
>>
i like british foods
>>
>>8941269
>process imitation cheese product
>chitlins
>"casseroles" with marshmallows
>chicago style pizza
>potted meat
Sorry mate, American cuisine is just varying degrees of bland and/or disgusting.
>>
>>8941276
>>heston blumenthal is famous for cooking historical british food dude

I own two of his cookbooks. While some of the dishes might be inspired by traditional British cooking, the methods and procedures certainly aren't.

>and there are shitloads more famous british chefs, just cause you can't name them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I don't claim to be an expert on British cookery, but I take a serious interest in cooking in general. They can't be all that famous if I haven't heard of them.
>>
>>8941291

>While some of the dishes might be inspired by traditional British cooking, the methods and procedures certainly aren't.

blumenthal is the guy who got me into cooking. i know what's up with him. he is extensively influenced by historical british cooking. both hinds head and dinner have menus pretty much entirely based around historical dishes and a lot of the fat duck is too

>They can't be all that famous if I haven't heard of them.

could there be a better demonstration of the dunning kruger effect
>>
>>8941298
>he is extensively influenced by historical british cooking.

"Influenced by"? Sure. But that's not actually what he does. The overwhelming majority of his recipes are filled with modernist techniques and various complications that you'd never find in standard British cuisine.
>>
>>8938183
Top kek
>>
>>8941312
why dont you quit splitting hairs and accept that what he does is quintessentially british

you're like the people saying american food is shit because cheez whiz exists
>>
>>8941312

i think you're making a no true scotsman fallacy. the fact that he's using weird contraptions and powders to elaborate on it doesn't mean he is no longer cooking british food. what else would you call a british recipe interpreted by a british person using british invented ideas?
>>
>>8941298
You're almost certainly British and therefore would be more aware of major British chefs

Just because someone is famous in Britain does not mean people elsewhere have any idea who they are
>>
>>8941329
>the fact that he's using weird contraptions and powders to elaborate on it doesn't mean he is no longer cooking british food

In my opinion it makes him enough of an outlier. I think that "modernist" is a better label for him than "British".

>>what else would you call a british recipe interpreted by a british person using british invented

I guess if you want to be pedantic about it then he's technically "british", but I think that literal of a definition is silly. Does that mean that if, say, a person born in Hyderabad moves to Battersea, becomes a British citizen, and starts a curry shop that the resulting food is also "British"? By that pedantic definition it is. But I'm sure that we all agree that the food really isn't (unless he's serving Chicken Tikka Masala)
>>
>>8941349

sure, but that has no bearing on the illogic of 'i haven't heard of them therefore they can't be well known internationally'.

there is a global community of fine dining chefs and the british are well represented on it.

>>8941354

i'm not the one who's being pedantic here. he literally goes through historic cookbooks and replicates them on his menu. hay smoking. powdered duck. tipsy cake. mock turtle soup. all sorts of pies and puddings.

he is definitely a chef i would categorise as 'british'. maybe 'modernist british' if you intend to recognise a distinction, but definitely british.
>>
>>8941287
Not an Amerikaner, m80, but good try, enjoy your liver tarts and porridge sandwiches.
>>
>>8941357
I'm French so firstly I know more about cooking than you. The British are not a major presence in international fine dining and you only think that because of your extremely limited exposure to just English language resources
>>
Because British chef chunnel over to France for training, so they're classically trained. Unfortunately, you can't shake the Brit out of them, so they get their classical training and then still make insipid foods. (Except Marco Pierre White, he's my chef crush). But, there's plenty of chefs around the world who are outpacing the classically French trained chefs, notably in the US, Australia, Japan, and Scandinavia.
>>
>>8941357
>>i'm not the one who's being pedantic here.
Sure you are. You said that because he's British and cooking food in Britain that therefore he must be a "British Chef".

>and replicates them on his menu
He doesn't replicate traditional food at all. He uses very modern methods to put his own twist on classic dishes.

Replication doesn't need a freeze dryer, anti-griddle, ultrasonic cleaner, centrifuge, and the various other modernist tools he uses.
>>
>>8941374
>I'm French so firstly I know more about cooking than you.
That is the most french thing I've read yet today. Only the French can be this decidedly arrogant .
>>
>>8941374
>I'm French so firstly I know more about cooking than you
I'm not strictly disagreeing but that sentence made me giggle.

>The British are not a major presence in international fine dining and you only think that because of your extremely limited exposure to just English language resources
Basically true.
>>
>>8941383
I guess you've never met an Englishman, then.
>>
>>8941382

> You said that because he's British and cooking food in Britain that therefore he must be a "British Chef".

cooking *british food* in britain*

>He doesn't replicate traditional food at all.

if you say this then you don't really know enough about his food.

that list of gadgetry is hilariously misleading. most of the time the degree of 'modernisation' in his cooking extends simply to a bit of sous vide and pressure cooker usage.

>>8941374

>extremely limited exposure to just English language resources

kek
>>
>>8941391
Englishmen aren't arrogant, they're stubborn and unmoving. There's a huge difference. They are the product of French and Saxon (with a bit of Viking thrown in) interbreeding, so they have the worst of both genetic lines.
>>
>>8941372
why not tell us where ur from bitch let me tear u apart u little shit
>>
>>8941445
>yfw burgers are basically brit/saxon offal sprinkled with niggers
>>
>>8941489
It's more fun to keep your offended British ass in the dark, you guys should be used to darkies anyway, right?
>>
>>8941374
>I'm French so firstly I know more about cooking than you.
yes thanks for your amazing contributions to the world of cuisine such as
>fries
>
>
>
>>
>>8941501
joke's on you i'm not british
>>
>>8941496
Burgers are fucking everything, of the Euro descent there's a lot of fucking Germans, Brits, and what else have you, then there's the Latinos and Spaniards, and the Asians.

They're probably the most diverse nation in the world.
>>
>>8941505
>he doesn't even have national pride as a reason to whiteknight British cooking
That's actually sadder.
>>
File: IMG_1128.jpg (32KB, 220x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1128.jpg
32KB, 220x300px
>>8941502
>fries
>originated in France
You fucking retard.
>>
>>8941496
The highest nationality that makes up the US is German.
>>
>>8941526
it's in the name, frogboi
>>
>>8941545
Frenching is the cutting technique you fucking mong.
>>
>>8941533
German nationality ancestry - 50 million
African ancestry (aka nignog) - 40 million

kek. I'm willing to bet german will be in second place to nignog within 10 years sharty. Enjoy your blackening.
>>
>>8938238
It's not like that experience of his was the only thing that established his opinion. It was already a stereotype when he lived with the lady but the experience supported it.
>>
>>8941568
no it is not
>>
>>8941572
That's fucking ironic coming from a Euro.
>>
>>8941572
>. A nation who's sole knowledge of other countries comes from film and television.

Everyone does that. I'm of European descent and currently live in Texas. My older relatives (Danish) think that we all ride horses to school/work and carry 6-shooters like they see on Westerns.

...actually, they might be right about the "carry a gun" part, but many of them honestly believe that it's literally the wild west over here.
>>
>>8941694
>...actually, they might be right about the "carry a gun" part, but many of them honestly believe that it's literally the wild west over here.
what? no fucking way. you're bullshittin

i'm from mid-EU and my gramps with his grammar school education and having been a welder all life long knows surprisingly much about the US (and other parts of the world). noone unironically believes spaghetti westerns depict reality
>>
>>8938164
Because they have class and are hopeless drunks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezk2Gpr9Wo
>>
>>8941717
>what? no fucking way. you're bullshittin

No, seriously. Though I will admit that the incident was:
1) several years ago (late 90's)
2) involving older relatives (people in their 60's and later)

It's not all like that, though. My uncle--who never set foot outside of Denmark and worked as a stonemason all his life--had encyclopedic knowledge of Native Americans. And I don't mean bullshit from TV programs, but actual history.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 1088x277px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 1088x277px
>>8941667
Fuck off, newfag.
>>
>>8941526
>>8941745
They're French. Sometimes the eternal belgic tries to claim ownership and it gets repeated as such in meme pop-his sources but they can't come up with the physical evidence.

>seriously trying to deny parts of your own national heritage to be right on 4chan
>>
>>8941745

'french' can refer to a cutting method but not when it comes to fries

you don't 'french' the fries, they're just french fries
>>
File: bender.jpg (14KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
bender.jpg
14KB, 400x300px
>>8941587
O B S E S S E D
B
S
E
S
S
E
D
>>
>>8941772
O B E S E
B
E
S H I T T Y P A N T S
E
>>
>>8941766
No, you "french" the POTATOES thereby turning them INTO fries.

How is this so complicated?
>>
File: spining toader.gif (80KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
spining toader.gif
80KB, 420x420px
>>8941511
>listing spaniards not as euros
>>
>>8941781
>How is this so complicated?

It's not complicated, it's inaccurate.

"Frenching" has nothing to do with potatoes or fries. It refers to trimming the meat off the tips of the bones of a rib roast.
>>
>>8938421

Pretty much this.

British people seek warm holidays, southern france is a stones throw away, restaurants are always looking for cheap labor, sometimes restaurants in beach towns have bungalows available to their wagecuck staff gratis as part of their salary.

Source: i worked every summer from 16 to 21 in Grande Plage living the beach bum life and cooking.
>>
>>8941781

because you don't

frenching basically means julienne, which is not what you do with french fries. they're called french fries because it's the french style of making fries, not because they are 'frenched'. i know this is autistic but it's true
>>
>>8941694
So much this.
I'm of German descent and grew up in Texas. When our relatives from Dusseldorf would come visit, they really expected it to be more like the wild west than what it actually was. Granted, I grew up in a town that was nearly 100% german descent, so most people spoke old German and had a lot of German cultural practices, but they (our relatives) expected to see a lot desert, tall saguaro cactus (which are in Arizona), and people riding horses everywhere. They also expected to be able to travel to lots of cities and other states easily, they didn't realize how big Texas really was and that it would take a whole day just to drive out of Texas.
They did enjoy our town, though, and going to San Antonio to the Riverwalk and Botanical Gardens, and other places.
>>
File: prime_rib_roast_frenched_4rib.jpg (88KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
prime_rib_roast_frenched_4rib.jpg
88KB, 650x650px
>>8941798

Frenched bones of roasts, and leg bones are not juilenne cuts though. Stop using terminology you don't know the meaning of.
>>
>>8941780
F A G G O T
A
G
G O O C H S T A N K
O Q
T U
A
T
T
E
R
>>
File: assonfire.jpg (14KB, 396x339px) Image search: [Google]
assonfire.jpg
14KB, 396x339px
>>8941821
hahaha.....I fucked it up. You're still a faggot goochstank squatter, though.
>>
>>8941813

>Frenched bones of roasts, and leg bones are not juilenne cuts though.

no shit sherlock

you think it might be possible that a term has different meanings in different contexts?
>>
>>8938164
British food is the best in the world lad.
Get fucked.
>>
File: betoffdead.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
betoffdead.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>8941763
>>8941766
>>8941781
>>8941793
>>8941813
>>8941834
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhW7rpFhr2k
>>
>>8938212
Never seen anyone boil a chicken over here in bongland. If people eat shit, it's usually ready meals. Or, you know, actual shit.
>>
>>8941269
Never seen those first four over here, either.

Endless amounts of Baked Beanz [sic], sure.
>>
>>8941869
whats your favorite british dish?
>>
>>8941869
J E L L I E D E E L S
>>
File: USFA Rodeo .45 Colt.jpg (314KB, 1420x662px) Image search: [Google]
USFA Rodeo .45 Colt.jpg
314KB, 1420x662px
>>8941694
>actually, they might be right about the "carry a gun" part
I wish I could carry a gun like a Texan :(
>>
>>8938164
Only two obsession threads in the datalogue. You're slipping old boy.
>>
>>8939408
Takbir brother.
>>
Ah yes, the America thread was deleted after 12 posts.

Meanwhile the previous British obsession thread was left up for days until 404 and this one yas 89 posts and no sign of end.

This has been going on for years and is why this board is worse than /b/. Does Hiro have a contact?
>>
>>8942258
I hope so, this mod needs a new fucking job because she's a woman and naturally inept.
Ban me, fuck you, I'll email hiroshimoot too fatass.
>>
>>8941269
Other than black pudding, that's ghetto crap like the hurgin, tater tots, mac n cheese etc;

Like I said, it's only applicable if you know jack shit about food which you obviously do not.
>>
>>8942337
Except none of that is awful. If bread pudding is "ghetto crap" then you must be one pretentious fuck. Is Ramseys recipe "ghetto crap"? How about Hestons? Does it need a French name for it to meet your standards? Creme Anglais pan boule.
>>
>>8942356
Wasn't bread pudding a way to make something out of stale bread? Sounds poorfag to me.
>>
>>8942480

And speaking of "ghetto crap", a massive number of well-known traditional dishes all over the world have their origins in cheap peasant cookery.

A lot of those French dishes that people will pay $$$ for at a 3-star restaurant are literal poverty cuisine. Cassoulet? Take whatever leftovers you have and stew it in a pot. Coq au Vin? That's when you were so hard up that the only thing you had to eat was the stringy 'ol rooster.
>>
>>8942264

Not only fat and female, but Mestizo as well. Badmouth Mexicans and watch the ban come. Also talk about Trump positively. But yea, British chefs are dope.
>>
>>8942480
Most French food comes from "poorfag" origins. You silly pleb, I bet you buy Apple products.
>>
>>8941287
Bad example as american food actually is just varying degrees of and and/or disgusting
>>
>>8942043
Ham, chicken, and leek pie
>>
>>8942480
There's nothing poorfag about buying sugar in ye olde days.
>>
>>8942555
That sounds pretty good if it uses real ham and not the injected tumbled ham style american product.

t. Amerilard
>>
>>8941379
>insipid foods
Not slathering everything in garlic and redundant spices in order to mask and complicate the the basic components is considered "bland and insipid". Got it.
>>
>>8938183
Not how I was going to phrase it but yeah
>>
>>8942356
I wasn't referring to black pudding or that. Just crap like chip butties which I've never heard of. I'm Australian so the British food that remains here is pre-that shit, and actually quite similar to a lot of French and German stuff.
>>
>>8942507
I'm not talking about peasant food, which is great. I'm talking about modern abominations that shouldn't even be considered "British cuisine".
>>
>>8942539
Same cunt here again, if you know anything about food then you would know American food is pretty good too. The hurgin and other horrible shit I mentioned is just another example of picking the worst to represent everything the cuisine includes.
>>
The British food is bad meme is based on historically used simple foods. When you are busy civilising the world and instigating the industrial revolution you just want something to fill your stomach that isn't shit so you can get back to helping the lesser breeds of humanity. Once you've sorted that shit out then you can nick their cuisine, piss off home and enjoy being a prick to Europe.
>>
>britcucks
>>
>>8942928
>nick their cuisine
So you admit that your culinary creations are dogshit, thus you steal the recipes of others to make up for it? Sounds like the meme is accurate.
>>
>>8941587
Most "African-Americans" are of partial Western European descent.
Likewise, most white people have several different countries of origin.
>>
>>8943047
If roasted meat and veg or fried potato and fish is bad then I don't know what to tell you anon. Pastry both savoury and sweet? The best desserts in the world bar none? Shit? If you say so anon, I couldn't possibly argue with a gourmand like you.
>>
>>8942928

The industrial revolution was fueled with bread. Fact. British people ate, and still do, a FUCKTON of bread.

>visit eurotrash relatives every summer
>every, single, morning: toast and a spot of tea? You look peckish
>wut
>peckish
>wut
>uhhhh hungry?
>yeeeaaaaaa
>>
>>8941501
You know Britain is only like 4% niggers according to the last census
It's the big cities that people visit which they're all concentrated in
>>
>>8941287
Don't you dare mix nigger food such as Chitlin with American cuisine
>>
>>8938164
irony.
>>
>>8944624
Niggers = Americans
This is the stereotype the rest of the world believe.
>>
What is your guys' problem with poaching chicken? That is a completely normal thing to do, and often the best way of cooking it for sandwiches or salads.
>>
>>8944390

Meanwhile, in reality, London belongs to foreign born people(s).
>>
>>8943080
>criticising English
>speaks English
uh...
>>
>>8938164
London is the answer. You have a major international city with lolts of very wealthy people who like to eat at nice restaurants. This creates lots of opportunity for aspiring chefs, the same way NYC does in the US, and Paris did for generations of continental European chefs in the past. There would be very few world class Brit chefs if they didn't have a place like London to start building their empires.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.