[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to buy a cast-iron skillet but I'm trying to find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: 41oalqhzn2L[1].jpg (16KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
41oalqhzn2L[1].jpg
16KB, 500x279px
I want to buy a cast-iron skillet but I'm trying to find the best brand/size. Amazon has a 12 inch Lodge (which I've heard is best) for $20 and then I can the red silicone handle holder for an extra $5. Is that a good price and a good way to go with it?
>>
>>8931417
>please shop for me

If these threads could die, I might stop kidnapping children.
>>
>>8931417
Give it back Jamal
>>8931437
Give her back Cletus
>>
>>8931417

Yeah, sure.

If there isn't a Marshalls or something like it near you where you can get it cheaper and still new, yeah, go for it. Got a 10 inch Lodge there for $12 and 12 inch enameled Cuisinart for $25.

Honestly, the handle holder I'm torn on. I've always coveted them, but when I use them, I get burned often because I crowd the handle when grabbing such a heavy pan.
>>
>>8931417
That's what I did, and I'd recommend it. Just be sure to season it before use, and to take good care of it.
>>
>>8931417
Why shop online? Walmart, kroger, walgreens, and tj maxx carries lodge products
>>
File: 20170514_102435.jpg (225KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_102435.jpg
225KB, 1080x810px
>>8931417
Modern pans a shit. Go for one made from the 1950s or earlier, like a Wagner or Griswold.
>>
>>8933545

Hipster's up.

Good morning.
>>
>>8933561
Uh no, anyone who knows anything about quality iron knows this is true. Manufacturing process changed after the 50s, which make them have a bumpy, rough surface. Old pans are smooth as glass.
>>
Tried yesterday but go no (you)'s

Anyone ever mess with titanium frying pans? I want pure titanium with a copper bottom.
I hear it wont leach period and doesn't stick because it has no pores so you dont need butter or oil.

Thoughts?
>>
>>8933789
>>8933545
It's not too hard to refinish them though. My parents neglected a contemporary Lodge and it rusted to hell, so I cleaned it and smoothed the cooking surface a bit as well before reseasoning.
>>
>>8933789

The bumpy surface is totally irrelevant though. The bumps you can see with your eyes have nothing whatsoever to do with food sticking.

It's the microscopic pores you have to worry about.
>>
>>8931417
You can get cast iron at Walmart or Target, no need to order online
>>
>>8931417
Buy the pan yesterday, skip the handle. If anything, spend the $5 on a couple more towels so you'll always have at least two dry ones within reach.
>>
>>8933545
Well memed faggot.
>>
>>8931417
People tend to WAY overthink cast iron

Get a nonstick from a restaurant supply, get whatever cheap shit cast iron is convenient, and get fully clad stainless lined aluminum pans for your regular everyday cooking

In other words buy each of the tools to do a job correctly instead of spending inordinate time trying to make one thing do a shitty job at everything

inb4 a cast iron neckbeard explains why his personal incompetence in the kitchen just goes to show ya proper equipment is a bad thing
>>
>>8934652
>Get a nonstick from a restaurant supply
This guy knows.
>>
>>8934652
Retarded faggot here. What do you use each different pan for? I assume non-stick is for things like eggs where even a little sticking can ruin the food. When would you use the aluminum over nonstick, or cast iron?
>>
>>8933829

No, but...I too have been interested and this is what I've learned:

Titanium supposedly retains its temp even better than iron. It is tougher AND resists warping much more because of it's flexibility.

So if you get it hot, it stays hot.

Now getting it hot is the issue, aside from induction, iron takes a while to reach some cooking temps. I can't imagine what it would take to heat the stuff they use on spaceships enough to sear a steak. And I don't believe titanium can be used with induction without a thick steel or iron core in its base. Which is not what you wanted according to your post.
>>
>>8933839

This.

Good maintenance and regular use are what make the pan nonstick.
>>
>>8935113
"sticking" is good sometimes, like with scallops, chicken or duck breast, steak, burgers, etc.

other times it's bad - fish, breaded stuff, eggs, grains

sometimes it's just a non-issue because of the food and the technique - sauteeing vegetables, stir frying

aluminum has better thermal properties than any other common cookware material other than copper, so unless you are looking for sluggish temperature changes (oven baked breads, oven roasted stuff, etc), cast iron is more of a problem than a solution. worries about heat retention are bogus if you get good thick aluminum, a thick stainless lined aluminum pan can make a very good steak if you're not a complete idiot
>>
>>8935170
t. local /ck/ alumimium industry rep
>>
File: dealwithit.jpg (832KB, 2200x1628px) Image search: [Google]
dealwithit.jpg
832KB, 2200x1628px
>>8935175
actually I much prefer copper, but every time I mention that a bunch of poorfags start raging about veblen goods and how if you have nice things you must be a terrible cook because REAL COOKS use flimsy busted garbage from the 99 cent store to show their REAL COOKING SKILLS
>>
>>8935175
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/120/Common-Materials-of-Cookware

>Material Thermal conductivity
>Copper 401 W/m*K
>Aluminum 237 W/m*K
>Cast Iron 80 W/m*K
>Carbon steel 51 W/m*K
>Stainless steel 16 W/m*K

t. local know it all cu/ck/
>>
>>8935184
t. assangrey local /ck/ alumimiun industry rep

You shitpost way too often to not be triggered or an autist.
>>
>>8935195
>shitpost
that word describes what you're doing quite accurately, in fact
>>
File: 1494269226358.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494269226358.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>8935204
>NO U
>>
File: jRwVK0O.jpg (160KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
jRwVK0O.jpg
160KB, 1024x1024px
>>8935210
>my dad can beat up ur dad
>>
>>8931417
Here ya go anon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjUW-p7iRLU
>>
>>8931417
Find that lodge skillet/dutch oven combo set. They literally nearly any meal you need, with the exception of a large stock pot.
>>
>>8933829
I spent 15 minutes googling because of you but only found eggshell thin trekking stuff without copper bottom.
>>
Plain aluminium or carbon steel.

Cast iron takes an age to heat up properly, fuck waiting for that.
>>
>>8931417
Buy the cheapest cast-iron you can. You literally gain nothing with the extra cost when it comes to cast-iron. The pot holder is worthless, just use a towel or something. I have a lodge that i like quite a bit.
>>
>>8935968
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>8935968
t. guy who only east hamboigahs and pork chops
>>
>>8934616
No need to go in store. I can just order online.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.