[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you pepper/salt mill clean when seasoning raw meat? You

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

How do you pepper/salt mill clean when seasoning raw meat? You need one hand to turn the meat and rub the seasoning into it. With other herbs and spices it's easier, one hand on the spice one on the meat, but with the mill you need both hands.

I've tried touching the meat only with my fingertips and holding the mill in the palm, sorta, but it's quite awkward and inefficient. Professional chefs must have a better way. Do they grind the spices in advance?

Serious thread please.
>>
>>8910932
>How do you pepper/salt mill clean
How do you keep it clean I mean
>>
>>8910932
Wash your hands.
>>
>>8910943
Duh, but that's a lot of washing hands. I can't believe that someone who cooks a hundred steaks a day will wash his hands twice per every single one.
>>
>>8910932
I always grind the pepper and salt into little ramekins before seasoning the meat, that way I dont have to wash my hands when flipping
>>
File: shopping-2.jpg (8KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
shopping-2.jpg
8KB, 192x192px
>>8910932
Use this. Grind pepper. Use right hand to salt meat. Use right hand to grab peepper and sprinkle over meat. Turn meat with left hand. Repeat seasoning procedure. Wala - no contamination, ever.
>>
>>8911044
>>8911002
seems like wasting pepper tho
>>
>>8910956
I guess there are automatic grinders with one finger operation and dump bottles too.
I use the pourer.
>>
>>8910932
>what are tongs
alternatively just wipe it down. chefs wipe their hands regularly. I don't do it at home, bc at home, *I*have to wash my clothes, and I'm not changing my aprons daily
>>
>>8911073
I've heard some kitchens have a policy where they have to throw out stuff like mills if touched by raw meat. I don't know if it can be true tho.

>what are tongs
you can't use tongs to spread and push the seasoning into the meat
>>
>>8911085
but you can use them to touch/turn the meat, while your hands remain dry and clean. thats implying that - for home cooking purposes - touching meat, and I don't mean yours, makes them "unclean"
I doubt any sensible kitchen staff would throw anything that can be easily cleaned out. even in sterile labs, when things get contaminated or when you're just can't guarantee sth. is *clean*, you just wash it. autoclave, or dewinfect, or whatever the situation requires. you don't throw stuff out until its permanently damaged, that would be financially irresponsible
>>
>>8911112
I admit I don't really know anything about this but it makes some sense -- pepper mills are cheap and a salmonella poisoning can close down the whole restaurant
>>
You just mill it over the food? I don't really see the point of having to rub it in unless you marinating the meat.
>>
>>8910932
If it's beef I just don't give a fuck.
Chicken is different.
>>
I usually just grind them together in a bowl, since im just going to rub it in if marinating.
>>
>>8911137
you don't get salmonella from a chef using the peppergrinder they use for meat all the time, and big organised kitchens have stations for different dishes, so its not like chef1 gets back fom the lou without washing his hands and touches chef2's peppergrinder.
some places even have a guy responsible for the grill only, grilling meat all day... feeding the alley cats out back...
I'm thinking of a particular place, yes, and they're still up to every health&safety regulation, and I still eat there, with gusto, when in town. never heard of anyone complaining, too
>>
>>8911172
Same. Much easier than dealing with the grinder mid meat handling.
>>
>>8911069
>seems like wasting pepper.

Good god, I use pepper in everything. I can grind a lot of pepper in my molcajete in the morning and it's almost empty after dinner.
>>
>>8910932
You could get something like pic related or just grind the approximate amount you need into a small bowl beforehand.
>>
>>8910932
we've had an electric pepper grinder in the family for almost 30 years and it only fails when the battery goes which is hardly ever. try it out
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.