[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where can I get some good popcorn seasoning? Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

Where can I get some good popcorn seasoning? Don't mention flavacol.
>>
>>8908807
I just started making my own popcorn on the stove. I wonder if you all use pre-made seasonings or make them. Recipes if the latter?
>>
>>8908813

I only really have meat spices so for popcorn I can't really see that working y'know. So yeah I guess I'm looking for some premade stuff.
>>
>>8908815
I made caramel popcorn recently and that took a while but was good. I didn't use corn syrup, I wonder if that is only added to reduce chances of crystallization or if it affects the flavor as well. I would like to try making cheese popcorn but I wonder if a pre-made seasoning would be helpful for this as the cheese should be dry.
>>
>>8908823

How did you do it?
>>
>>8908830
I used this recipe:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crunchy-caramel-popcorn-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-187893

because I don't have any corn syrup in my apartment.

The baking for an hour part and having to turn every 15 minutes is kinda a chore though.
>>
>>8908840

Yeah that sounds annoying. Major reason I'm looking for seasonings.
>>
>>8908843
I bet you could just cook it for 15 minutes and it would be fine. Maybe someone here has tried it?
>>
Please Respond
>>
File: oldbay.jpg (103KB, 460x466px) Image search: [Google]
oldbay.jpg
103KB, 460x466px
>>
>>8908807
Whats flavcol?
>>
>>8909306
YOU MENTIONED IT! YOU FUCKER!
>>
I don't know how they flavor regular popcorn but I flavor mime with grated parmesan and rosemary. Just be sure to put the parmesan in a container with the rosemary for awhile to let the flavors mingle.
>>
Salt and ground garlic. What's the matter with you?
>>
>>8909296
this or brewers yeast
>>
>>8909306

The stuff movie theaters use. That iconic yellow tinge isn't from butter.
>>
File: 1467886387507.jpg (159KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1467886387507.jpg
159KB, 600x800px
shitty parmesan cheese
>>
>>8909386
Do you have sad burger with mustard? That's my favorite, but I don't have it anymore. Haven't seen it in a while.
>>
>>8908807
Salt, garlic powder, cayenne and dried oregano has worked well for me before
>>
>>8908807
that coke addict looking cunt marcus wareing has a fucking hard on for popcorn, check out his book.
>>
Paprika, smoked or sweet.
>>
>>8909296
ive tried a lot of stuff and this is my favorite. Garlic salt with parsley is a runner up.
I tried different flavorings on popcorn once a week for like 2 months because reasons I had to force myself to stay awake while watching Victory at Sea and only had my popcorn to keep me occupied. Chili powder is a good one, all spicy stuff. Oh really finely chopped jalapenos or jalapeno salt. Malt vinegar salt, etc.
another good combo is just a little cup of the free movie theater jalapenos or pickles with salt & pepper to eat with the popcorn.
>>
4tbls of oil
mix with as many tablespoons sugar
add half as much honey as sugar
dissolve in the oil
add popcor
constantly shake so nothing burns
>>
>>8910290

How's this usually turn out?
>>
lawry's seasoning salt. make fun all you want.
>>
File: IMG_2774.png (203KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2774.png
203KB, 750x1334px
Buy this shit now OP! It's the fucking best! You can even put in on air popped popcorn without it falling off it's so fine. I love it.
Only bad thing is that if you add if before cooking on the kernels whole rooms smells of vinegar, but they have other flavors too but this is the best one.
>>
>>8908815
Chili powder and salt work well. Try it.
>>
Worcestershire sauce on popcorn turns out pretty good ngl
>>
>>8911226

>5.99

Nah
>>
File: season.jpg (497KB, 1500x1226px) Image search: [Google]
season.jpg
497KB, 1500x1226px
I've tried a couple of these and White Cheddar is by far my favorite.
>>
I really like putting nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt.
>>
Salt, pepper, Italian herb seasoning, garlic salt.
Anything, really.
But popcorn is disgusting because of kernels getting stuck in your teeth/mouth.
>>
>>8909296
Old Bay all day
>>
File: ranchmix.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ranchmix.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>
>>8911405
For me right here
>>
Coconut oil and flavacol is Master race.

If I want kettle corn I just add sugar to the preheated coconut oil when I dump the kernels in, then salt afterwards.

But seriously, why are you against flavacol? Are you not using coconut oil? Are you adding butter? Are you worried about the sodium?
>>
>>8911447

Not against it, I simply already have it.
>>
File: 81PwqN7PMTL.jpg (290KB, 1130x2434px) Image search: [Google]
81PwqN7PMTL.jpg
290KB, 1130x2434px
>>
>>8911748
Then take solace in the fact you already can make the best popcorn on Earth. If there was a better spice mix, don't you think movie theaters would have offered it by now?

If you want salty, make coconut oil + flavacol.

If you want sweet, add sugar instead of flavacol (1/4-1/2 cup to taste for every 1/2 cup kernels) and salt afterwards.

If you want savory, go to trader Joe's and pick up their Bollywood popcorn (vegan Tikka masala) to satisfy the fix. Then after your next flavacol batch, you'll realize that it's the only true way to enjoy popcorn.

Never add butter.
>>
I like dried parsley and salt when I want something that isn't just plain salt.

I'll also sometimes to a bit of hot sauce, it makes a mess on my hands, but it tastes pretty great.
>>
>>8908823
Corn syrup from my experience is mostly for the crystallization but affects the damn flavor too much imo. It sure makes things easier though. I've made a couple variations of a peanut butter popcorn, with and without the syrup. Without it the coating didn't really harden and stayed a little powdery. With it, it turned into caramel corn with a hint of peanut butter flavor. Sucks. Anyone try out that powdered peanut butter? I'd like to get the flavor of peanut butter to be the stronger flavor in the mix without having to use gallons of the stuff.

>>8908813
Make my own. Been on a chili lime kick lately so I'll grind up Chile de arbols and mix that with salt, cumin and paprika. Then lime juice drizzle and lime zest. Zest is amazing.

Cayenne is good. Paprika really is my go-to base seasoning. Sometimes I'll coat a second mixing bowl with hot sauce and vigorously toss my corn into it to get it evenly spread, then bake the corn for 15min@275 to dry it out. If you like spice you need a sauce preferably made with a pepper extract, as it's so spread out it won't be spicy unless your base is HOT.

Lately discovered if you cook sliced jalapeno for 5min in your popcorn pot before you add the kernels it ends up nice and blackened/dried and crunchy mixed in with the popcorn. Also adds a jalapeno oil taste to the corn. Mild as far as spice goes but nice. Maybe I'll try serranos or habaneros next.

Garlic oil is always good. Save the garlic for a crunchy topping, but add it last or it'll all end up at the bottom.
>>
>>8908807
>butter
>salt
>a lil garlic powder
>a lil oregano
>>
>>8912319
oh, and this >>8909386
>>
hot sauce of your choice is the best way to go
>>
>>8908807
My personal favorite thing to add to popcorn is Carolina Reaper seasoning. Not for those who can't handle heat, but if you can it tastes amazing. You can probably find it at some crazy specialty store or online. It might be a tad expensive though.
>>
sodium
known as Na on the periodic table of the elements, also commonly known as table salt.
>>
>>8912465
Table salt is NaCl.
>>
I mix up sugar, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
A nice blend of sweet, salty, and savory.

Shits addictive though.
>>
>>8911303
Why not? Are you poor?
>>
File: Southerntrash.jpg (22KB, 210x350px) Image search: [Google]
Southerntrash.jpg
22KB, 210x350px
>>
>>8913533
that stuff makes me start coughing for some reason if i add it to anything in any amount. there's powdered glass in it or something.
>>
File: IMG_20170509_174829.jpg (389KB, 1541x1156px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170509_174829.jpg
389KB, 1541x1156px
Browned sliced garlic first to make garlic oil, then set aside the garlic for later. Added two minced habanero to the oil and let simmer for ~8 minutes. Removed habanero and added to garlic--set aside again. Pop popcorn in habanero garlic oil then move to large mixing bowl.

Zest two limes and set aside zest. Sprinkle juice from limes all over popcorn and added cayenne, paprika, and salt while tossing. Repeat a few times.

Lay out popcorn on a couple baking sheets lined with foil and bake 10min@275, then give each a good shake and another 8-10 minutes in the oven.

Layered in the lime zest while transferring to serving bowl and top with habanero and garlic. Salt again.

Really tasty but not near spicy enough, I'm a little disappointed. I might just hit it with 5 habaneros next time and see what happens.
>>
File: louisiana-original-hot-sauce.jpg (20KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
louisiana-original-hot-sauce.jpg
20KB, 500x500px
Drench it
>>
File: prudhomme.jpg (79KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
prudhomme.jpg
79KB, 500x406px
>>8908807
Any of these work great.
I prefer the Poultry Magic.
It has just enough heat and spice for my taste.
>>
>>8915655
i lold

checked
>>
olive oil
nutritional yeast
salt
pepper
little dash of Cayenne pepper
>>
>>8908807
truffle oil
>>
>>8913533
Tony's on everything, boi
>>
>>8908807
powdered red pepper
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.