[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /ck/ fish? I'm in Kansas and I've only ever caught

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: catfish.jpg (67KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
catfish.jpg
67KB, 640x427px
Does /ck/ fish? I'm in Kansas and I've only ever caught catfish.

What are some good catfish recipes?

What are some of the best things you've made with fish that you've caught?
>>
Fish is ugly
Disgusting creatures, much more like alien, seem to violate
>>
Isn't there like a stigma against catfish? They are bottom-feeders after all.
>>
>>8898710
Any whitefish recipe works well for them. Hard to beat the standard dredge in cornmeal and pan fry in lard. But if you get enough of it from trotlines like I do, that gets old. But any recipe using halibut, cod, pollock, flounder, trout, seabass, etc. works well. I've never liked the farm raised because it doesn't have nearly the depth of flavor of wild caught.
>>
>>8898730
That's a bit of a myth. They do scavenge, but they are major predators. The best bait for a trotline or limbline is a live crawfish, goldfish or panfish.
>>
>>8898730
There was, but now we realize top feeders bioaccumulate all sorts of shit and bottom feeders like sardines, anchovies, and catfish have started to come in vogue.
>>
>>8898710

4 catfish filets
2 cups milk, or buttermilk
1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
2 eggs
1 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cayenne (or to taste)
1/2 tbs salt (as needed)
1/2 tbs cumin
1/2 tbs black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika

Place filets in plastic zip loc bag and add milk / buttermilk and allow to rest in fridge overnight.

The next day, pull them out of the fridge, get a flour station ready, beat the eggs to make an egg wash, and mix the spices and cornmeal together.

Take a filet out of the bag and dredge it in flour, than dredge it in the egg wash, and finish it by dredging it in the corn meal. Cook by either deep frying, shallow frying, or roasting in the oven.

Serve with corn bread and slaw.
>>
>>8898710
I grew up in Florida and went fishing for to five times a week as a kid. We only ever kept enough for a meal, never stockpiled, and never took above the limit or outside of the legal size slot. Red Drum and Snook are my absolute favorite species, with Speckled Trout being my least favorite. Salt water fish are better than fresh water, in my opinion.

It was common to pan cook the fish, or bread or with panko and fry it.
>>
File: 20170201_160253.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170201_160253.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>8898816

This.

We caught this fat bastard on a bluegill the size of my hand. 57lbs. Five year old primate for scale.
>>
Used to go when I was a kid. That was before the world got insanely crowded and fishing stocks got so badly depleted.

One of the best meals you can have is fresh-caught walleye.
>>
>>8899353

Were you a kid in the 1830s? We stock gamefish in virtually every large body of water in this country now. I know people who go and just rip fuckall huge catfish right out of their homes while they sleep with their fucking hands. They just reach in there and grab the fuckers like they owe money.

Dude, if you can't catch fish you're just doing it wrong.
>>
File: spaghetter.jpg (212KB, 1108x831px) Image search: [Google]
spaghetter.jpg
212KB, 1108x831px
>>8899329
Is that the kid from Gummo?
>>
>>8898710
Trout
Stuffed him with a mix of breadcrumbs, roasted garlic, anchovies & parsley puree
Wrapped it in prosciutto & seared it up then finished in the oven
Served it with risotto & sauteed wild mushrooms
>>
>>8898710
Washington-fag here, i like to fish, but i don't get a chance to go very often.

I always batter and fry catfish.
>>
>>8899329
That thing is a beast, how much meat did you get off him
>>
File: 20170205_125014.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170205_125014.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>8899548

I don't know. I don't eat them that big. If I want fish to fry I go after channel cats. We gave that one to a friend.

Here's something we caught literally the very next day in early the same spot.

It's a paddlefish. We let him go because he's endangered.
>>
>>8898710
Is it really this easy?

https://youtu.be/-Ky5vQ6rkRM?t=33
>>
>>8898710
Try /out/ you might get better responses. Theres almost always a fishing general
>>
>>8898710
Where are you fishing buddy?
Hopefully not on the kaw. The catfish out of that river are shit for eating
As far as recipes, just cut em into chunks and bread and fry. EzPz snack.
You should go down to missouri and try out snagging. Spoonbill put up a good fight and taste pretty good. It's fun pulling those fuckers up.
>>
>>8898710
Most of our saltwater catfish are inedible.

However, flounder, speckled seatrout, and redfish are plentiful here. I like them blackened.

My favorite is to catch ground mullet and kipper them.
>>
>>8899945

You can eat gafftop cats but they're hard to bone.
>>
>>8898835
This is pretty much how I do it, I usually put a bit of oregano on after the eggwash part though.
>>
git dem white meat cats in the fryer if ya noodle 'em out of the crik
damn fine meal I tell ya what
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.