[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm moving out of my parents house and getting my first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 2017-05-02 10.40.32.jpg (3MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-02 10.40.32.jpg
3MB, 2000x2000px
I'm moving out of my parents house and getting my first apartment, and they bought me this. Is this a good starter set? I'll probably pick up a cast iron skillet to have too.
>>
>branded with the Food Network logo

No, it's probably not very good.
>>
>>8884911
Bad crop, there's also a 10" skillet
>>
>>8884911
As a starting set, yeah it looks decent. You'll probably get a couple of years out of it.

Then start replacing it with real gear assuming you care about making food.
>>
God damn am I glad I have a full copper cookware set from my grandmother.

That shit looks disgusting.
>>
Kinda shitty, but all starter sets are kinda shitty.

Gradually replace each piece with tri-ply as they start chipping
>>
there is too much stuff there. you need a soup pan, a frying pan, an oven pan, a cutting board, a few pieces of silverware, a big chopping knife, a serrated knife.
>>
If you want to get a cast iron pan, I'd recommend a carbon steel pan inserted. Just my preference
>>
Just be sure to invest in some silicon coated spatulas, spoons and tongs, or you're going to scrape the shit out of the coating, ruin the nonstick and get bits of ceramic in your food.

Honestly, you'll probably only use half of that, at most. In six months when you figure out what pans you haven't used, don't feel bad about chucking them.

I also recommend buying a ten inch cast iron pan. They aren't that pricey new, but one can generally find some used cast iron on Craigslist. Google how to season the bastard, and be a happy little youngling. The cast iron pan in my house gets used three or four times a day between the roommates, it never leaves the stovetop.

Oh, lastly, make sure you find out how you're supposed to keep those pans clean. I've never had ceramic nonstick before, but with cast iron or Teflon, you just wipe them out with a paper towel and rinse them with warm water. No soap, and never, ever throw them in the dishwasher. Like I said, no sure about ceramics, but it would be worthwhile to check out.
>>
>>8884911
It was free, so, you win! Start using it and you'll figure out which pieces you actually use, while you save up for some of the good stuff. I like to check out restaurant supply houses for commercial grade stuff. Sometimes you can find deals on used gear.
>>
>>8885103
Carbon steel pan is probably better if you have a gas stove, otherwise the heating can be a little bit uneven since they're much thinner than cast iron pans.
>>
>>8884911
>Is this a good starter set?

Yes.

The price was right: free.

They'll do the job fine.
>>
>>8884911
Ugh. I hate ceramic.
No matter how careful you are, it will scratch and turn to shit in under 2 years.
>>
>>8884911
garbage
>>
>>8886364
Unfortunately, this. My mother in law gave me a fairly expensive ceramic coated frying pan and I really tried to baby it but the nonstick pretty much wore off within a few months of regular use.
>>
>180 bucks
No, get an all-clad fry pan 10" and the 2qt sauce pan. Find a cheap stainless 8qt stockpot. Buy your 12" cast iron pan. There is your set you need.
>>
>>8886403
>>8886403
So are ceramic pans only good for things that can be stirred with a wooden spoon? I can't imagine them being good for anything requiring tongs or a spatula.
>>
I'm in the market to upgrade from my "starter" cookware, a set of nonstick aluminum Farberware pans gifted to me from my grandma. They've lasted me six years but it's high time to invest in quality cookware.

What are good brands and pans? Skillets (both fry pans and saute pans), stock pots, saucepans, Dutch/French ovens.. I already have good cast iron in a couple sizes..

I heard clad cookware is a good investment. I want at least one nonstick option, though. I'm also seeking a good quality, thick copper pot for candy-making.

What does /ck/ suggest? There are many threads like this, but mostly end up with people insulting each other's pans rather than making good suggestions.
>>
>>8886630
Stainless lined copper is a must have (other than the copper). Mauviel M250, Falk, and Bourgeat are pretty much the only relevant names that are relevant here. Don't fuck around with tin lined unless it's just for novelty, it's a huge pain in the ass.

For the candy pot I'd hit up eBay, the unlined stuff goes for fairly cheap. You could probably also buy a thick copper pot with badly worn tinning and have a tinner remove the remains of the tin. Those tend to go for pretty cheap (smaller ones $50-80 and bigger ones well under $200)

Don't even think about getting the lower lines of Mauviel, they're trash.

For nonstick, buy name-brand stuff at discount stores, my current nonstick pan is a Calphalon that I got for $35 at TJ Maxx that retails for around $100

If you're using the dutch oven for dry stovetop stuff (searing or mirepoix), fuck the enameled shit, it's mostly just for show. It's great for bread and it's ok for oven braising but literally any piece of shit pot will be fine for that. For stovetop get a fully clad dutch oven from All Clad

inb4 shit flinging and "I only know how to buy stuff at full retail at Sur La Table therefore nice things are a scam", oh and also that tard who always misquotes Modernist Cuisine
>>
>>8884919
Surprisingly, some of their stuff is decent. I bought a Silpat for $30 at a restaurant supply store and a food network brand silicone baking mat (used a coupon, so it was practically free) from a department store 3 weeks later when I realized I needed more than one mat. I always use both simultaneously so I have 2 batches of whatever I'm making. A batch of cookies with toffee bits burned a few holes in my Silpat but my food network baking mat is 100% okay still
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.