[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this is fucking retarded but bear with me How do professional

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

I know this is fucking retarded but bear with me

How do professional chefs manage to replicate all aspects of a dish perfectly every time? Is it just training and mastery of technique? Is culinary school just like "okay faggots today we're making eggs all fucking day let's go"
>>
standards. same times, same temps, same cuts, same ingredients.
>>
MSG, anon. Lots and lots of MSG.
>>
File: sysco-usfoods-crop2.jpg (79KB, 565x237px) Image search: [Google]
sysco-usfoods-crop2.jpg
79KB, 565x237px
>>8884497
>>8884515
A combination of these.
They have recipes and strict guidelines on internal temperature that they monitor with probe thermometers, precision ovens/gas cooktops, weighing out ingredients with in scales, and readying them with a vitamix or food processor all in addition to the designated prep cooks with muscle memory that do indeed spend hours washing, trimming, and prepping mise en place before the restaurant opens.
^All of that is done at up-market establishments

For everyone else that is a chain or isn't charging at least 25$/plate, pic related is how. They get everything ready-to-heat from commercial plants.
>>
>>8884497
it really depends on the restaurant, some times the chef changes a little the recipe, others do the same thing over and over, and when in culinary school the techer said" okay faggots, were making eggs" there were no two dishes with the sane flavor
>>
>>8884497
the same way you do any job anon, you do it all the time, the same way without fucking up at a really fast speed. it's hard at first but you git gud eventually
>>
>>8884497
once you learn all the techniques expected in cuisine, you effectively become a programmer, applying your knowledge of what and when to turn a theoretical recipe into existence

its said the merit of a chef/professional isnt the extensiveness of his knowledge but their ability to do the basics correctly every time
>>
>>8884497
I've got a friend who's sister is going to a pastry college, and it really is "This semester is going to be nothing but fucking eggs"
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-12+at+10.53.06).jpg (23KB, 249x305px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-12+at+10.53.06).jpg
23KB, 249x305px
>>8884527

well fuck mate I didn't know all my food was heat and serve, I should cut all my labor, I'm gonna save a shitload not having to do all this prep.
>>
>>8884572
Yeah the difference between what he's talking about and what you're talking about is what makes a restaurant worth actually going.
>>
>>8884497

pretty much nailed it its all about practice, schools do an ok job of teaching you technique, but ultimately if you try to only work in nicer places you'll learn more, and you wont have a shitload of student loan afterwards.
>>
There's aLazytown sketch about this.
>>
>>8884577
the fuck are you on about mate, the only places that buy their shit ready made are retirement homes and highschools.

I have never worked anywhere that didn't make the overwhelming majority of their product in house. Maybe that's the case in some shithole flyover state but who fucking care about them.
>>
>>8884594
Not him, but I feel you dude. I've only ever seen Sysco trucks outside of grade schools and colleges. Keep making it fresh nigga.
>>
>>8884605
>>8884594
>>8884572
Respect.

Muscle memory and adjusting to taste and ingredient quality.
>>
File: SP.jpg (530KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
SP.jpg
530KB, 1000x1500px
>>8884497
Culinary school is a fucking joke and a waste of time.
>>
>>8884497
If culinary schools were legit, they would all be giving you 21 minutes to cook 4 30 minute meals.
>>
>>8884642
That's funny because your ex said the same about you
>>
>>8884585
What's Lazytown
>>
>>8884497
Why do you think they're able to perfectly replicate all aspects of a dish every time? No matter how good of a cook you are minor inconsistencies will show up in your food based. Places like the French Laundry will try to control for those inconsistencies by using small cuts and portions and things like sauces that have been passed through a sieve 5 times before they're ready to be plated. Basically the more steps you add to making something the more you can control the final product, but that requires more time, more prep, and more manpower and it's not a luxury most restaurants can afford. However, if you go to a steak house like Peter Luger's or Bern's where they serve large portions with relatively simple preparations you're going to see much more inconsistency in the food. Steaks will be weighed after cutting so that they're about the same, but depending on where the steak is cut from it will be thicker or have greater surface or it's gonna have a different distribution of fat or so on and that's gonna have an effect on the meat even if you try to season them all exactly the same and cook them to the same internal temperature on the same spot on the grill. Different styles of cuisine have greater or lesser tolerances on inconsistency in the final product, but it's never something that can be fully erased.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.