[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

While people often use this board to give and receive suggestions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: download.jpg (5KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 246x205px
While people often use this board to give and receive suggestions for cooking ideas, it's obvious there is a singificant divide in skill amongst people on this board. I never see people talking about actually cooking practices or /r/ing food books in order for people to improve their skill.
Like probably the majority of people that browse this board I came in as a complete cooking noob, commenting my terrible opinions because I once watched the PAN NICE AND HOT. Turns out i basically knew nothing about anything.
I picked up this book trying to get an insight into some cooking skills as a way to improve my overall QOL. This book isn't about complex recipes or flavor theory, it's just what properties you want in your food, how to chemically achieve these properties, and how to cook everything to the highest quality without wasting any of your time. This book won't do much for the actual gourmet chefs that broswe /ck/ (arguably any), but for someone who wants to learn more about all the cooking techniques professionals use, this has been an amazing start for me.
Anyone else heard or pick up this book? What are your thoughts? How did you pick up your cooking skills?

Also general food book thread for people trying to into cooking.
>>
>>8880704
>How did you pick up your cooking skills?

Trial and error.
>>
>>8880704
Meme book for dumb millennials.
Get that shit out of here now.
>>
>>8880708
This mostly. Also help from my family, since I didn't grow up in a whitetrash household, my parents both had interest in food. Also books like JoC, MTAOFC, and stuff like that.

Back in the day, if you wanted to learn how to cook you actually had to read, there weren't dancing monkey entertainer clowns like Alton Brown to trick you into thinking you liked cooking. So you could generally trust cooking advice because it came from people who genuinely appreciated food and cooking, instead of today's youth who mistook it for a video game and won't try anything where there's even a small risk of failure because they're coddled by 'save points' and 'respawns' and will have a total psychotic breakdown if they have to eat their mistakes
>>
>>8880721

This is why /ck/ is useless. You get this kind of asshole.
>>
>>8880704
>How did you pick up your cooking skills?

By reading Kenji's postings on seriouseats.com for free instead of paying for the book form.
>>
>>8880704
>Anyone else heard or pick up this book?

I like J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's writing on the web. I try not to buy more cookbooks, though.
>>
>>8880758
>>8880759
Smart, though I got this book for $25. Hardcover with 1000 pages. Totally worth for that price, though after I bought the book I realized everything in it is basically already on his blog.
>>
File: tmp_30665-s-l1000501555381.jpg (54KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30665-s-l1000501555381.jpg
54KB, 750x1000px
This book helped me get started with Asian food. It describes pretty much every ingredient used in Southeast Asian cuisine and offers a bunch of really adaptable recipes. The edition I have is from 2003 but the pictures are pretty high resolution and the recipes are timeless.
>>
>>8880758
I really started to get into cooking when i wanted to recreate tonkotsu ramen back at home. I also made chashu pork,condiments and marinated eggs for the ramen and invited friends over for it, without any previous cooking experience. It was great and i stuck with kenji, because his recipes are so excellently tested that a complete noob will make great food if he sticks to them.
Since that time i became a better homecook than probably 99.9% of the western population.
Ironically, i bought the book but i almost never use it, i guess i dont really see the value of a book covering the basics, while most of the recipes are on seriouseats anyways and i prefer to just have a quick look over some cooking websites and see if theres something i absolutely wanna try cooking.
another advice would be to just download the ebooks, cookbooks are too expensive and i usually dont use them enough to justify buying them
>>
>>8880758
this is how i learned. He's good as long as you don't take his word as gospel. Cater to the taste of the eater; I doubt he's eating your food. He does a decent job of explaining how and why certain tastes and textures are achieved when cooking. Once you understand that, you can begin tweaking almost any recipe to your taste and start making your own recipes based off flavor combinations you know work.
>>
That's funny, my girlfriend just bought me that book for our anniversary.

I've only read bits and pieces of his stuff online, but he seems to know what he's talking about. I only flipped through the book a bit, but I like the scientific theory he does that makes up the flavors and foundations of everything.

Anything in there you would specifically recommend?
>>
>>8880724
JOC and MTAOFC are what exactly?
>>
>>8880871
I've made a bunch of his breakfast recipes and they leagues better than any version I have ever cooked. My suggestion is, next time you are planning on cooking something, flip through the book and see if the item is in the cook. You're basically guaranteed to learn something you didn't know about how to prepare it and whatever recipe you will follow will inevitably come out better.
>>
>>8880900
Joy of Cooking
Mastering the Art of French Cooking
>>
>>8880721
What a dumb a brainless parroting faggot. No wonder your mother doesn't love you and your father killed himself.
>>
File: Peterson.jpg (52KB, 712x900px) Image search: [Google]
Peterson.jpg
52KB, 712x900px
the absolute goddamn bible on the subject
>>
>>8880704
>promoting book on /ck/
A worthwhile reminder, if your marketing strategy includes posting on 4chan, I'll assume your product is just as retarded.
>>
File: 51O9Py9vHGL._SY400_.jpg (25KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
51O9Py9vHGL._SY400_.jpg
25KB, 266x400px
C O O K I N G I N R U S S I A
>>
File: triggered_by_mrlorgin-d9aahmc.png (116KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
triggered_by_mrlorgin-d9aahmc.png
116KB, 320x371px
>>8881056
>metal spoon in a tinned copper pot
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.